Rated 4.7 out of 5
4.7 Stars out of 5
- by Yin Cognito, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Great extension, been using it for years in multiple browsers. For what I need, it works flawlessly. One question though: is it possible to remove or "uncheck" the 'Use Alternate' option from the context menu? I only use two search engines and added 'Search All' just in case.
P.S. If you're planning to use the 'Use Alternate' option to offer a way to search for local images, then I retract my question, as I want that too, when you'll find a working solution :D
RESPONSE TO THE DEVELOPER:
Thank you. Don't worry about the timeline - I understand the difficulty of adapting your sofware to these constant changes in browsers, given the fact that I am also in a process of developping an extension for Chrome...;)We're working on a semi-sane way to work around the local file access issue, not sure when it will be ready though. Will probably be triggered by a browser action button. I'll add a way to remove the extra menu stuff in a coming version.
- by dave, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Somebody listens! The ability to fine tune a context add-on. This on lets you open in a new tab OR window, choose which search engines or another program to search in as well as save your preferences. Good Show!
- by hdd60311, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Just saw this in the release notes of https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/selection-context-search/
Open the Add-on Options page in a new tab. This will allow to drag-and-drop rows in the tableThat looks like a nice setup. We'll try to enhance the menu configuration process at some point in the near future. The current options page is very basic, and was thrown together quickly to get it released on time for FF57.
- by Accicada, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Great addon. The only problem I have with it is that the setting to open in a new tab next to current instead opens it next to another random tab in the window. Hopefully this can be fixed and isn't another limitation.
- by Azulado, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Great addon, but it doesn't search for images hosted in private sites, like in intranets.
Edit: Got it, thanks! :DIt can, you just need to click on the 'Use Alternate' checkbox first to do a POST search using the image's data. Otherwise, the remote server has no way to access the internal network link you are sending it.
- by FIREF0XER, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5So many other image search apps in Firefox 57 have failed to work for me on Google Images when utilising its own search engine.
An image search attempt with all but one of those other apps that I tested resulted merely in a fresh, blank Google Images tab page opening for me to drag&drop an image onto........which is obviously not an action that I would need any extension app for.
And "Search By Image" (which is the only other image search app I discovered....besides your own....that is likewise working as desired with the Google Images search engine) has, since Firefox 57, stopped allowing the user to pick any individual image search engine to use (from a list of them) in any search attempt.........and instead searches via every single one of them simultaneously.......which is both resource hungry and very much overkill if that is neither needed or desired.
Yours is the only app that I've found that is currently working exactly as hoped with Firefox 57.....AND giving the user some measure of choice regarding how they conduct their search.
I also like the ability in the settings menu that you have provided to arrange the right-click, drop-down list of search engines into the order preferred.
So THANK YOU SO MUCH for this cracking app!!
- by Firefox user 5862475, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5Used to be able to just right click and then click search with Google, now it's right click then -> image search options-> then search with Google, any way to skip that extra step and have it like before?
Thanks.No, it's a limitation of the new WebExtensions API which Mozilla is forcing all addons to use starting with FF57. They may make it possible to have multiple main menu items in the future, but it's out of our control for now...
- by Firefox user 13460139, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Works perfectly, but since I updated to FF 57, the reverse image search option in my context menu disappears every time I exit and relaunch Firefox. I have to go into the add-on settings and save the preferences and the menu appears again after. This persists even after resetting settings to default and a full reinstall of the add-on. What gives?
- by ArcinHosenka, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5The previous version worked perfectly. But, as of the latest update, it won't open image search tabs next to current tab. Could this be fixed?
- by The Astronomer, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5Great extension but I had to roll back to version 2. Latest update doesn't work on ESR 52. Otherwise, great extension.