- Rated 4 out of 5by IntelliMoo, 4 years agoPretty awesome. I just wish separators would show on the popup.
- Rated 3 out of 5by NietEenDoktor, 4 years agoThe addons works for the most part, but the reason I installed it was to use my bookmark searches for images and none of them work. The "%s" isn't replaced by the image URL, so I have to copy paste all my bookmarks into the addon :/
- Rated 4 out of 5by Joe , 4 years agoExcellent for reading or general browsing, the popup is perfect.
However, it's very annoying when editing. The extension needs: (A) a toolbar icon to quickly enable/disable the popup. (B) an option to disable the popup on selections inside inputs or textareas. (C) perhaps whitelists and blacklists of pages/domains where the popup will/won't be used.
Also, it's somewhat concerning that this is not open-source -- for more easily vetting the safety and for submitting pull-requests.
- Rated 2 out of 5by Firefox user 12727415, 4 years agoExcellent functionality, very useful - until it prevented the saving of bookmarks.
Disabling the extension restores normal bookmarking operation.
Linux, FF v64 and at least one version earlier.
I bookmark a page, it's visible in the bookmarks list, but when restarting FF it's no longer there.
Also, after bookmarking one page on a tab and moving to the next (un-bookmarked) page on a different tab, that page shows as bookmarked: the star in the address bar is filled in blue - but this is bogus: clicking on it does nothing and neither does the menu entry "Bookmarks|Bookmark This Page".
Essentially I find the same problem as poster m4758406 (5 months ago at the time of this post).
A very poor workaround can be had by keeping an external list of sites, and then copy/pasting each URL one at a time. Bookmark one tab, close FF, restart (bookmark was saved) - then copy/paste bookmarking the next in the same way.
I'm not sure the developer is still actively supporting this and his other extensions: the last updates for them are showing as a year ago.
That's unfortunate. Aside from the bookmarking problem this extension was very useful.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Firefox user 14535245, 4 years agoI found the culprit for the Icons not showing up on the pop up, it's the "Fanboy’s Enhanced Tracking List" filter from uBlock Origin. That is the only filter that blocks the icons,also it does this only on pages FETL is actively blocking something. It would be good if you could get it to work with it if it's possible.
Thank you for the addon, it's great and I use it all the time. I recommend it, deserves a donation button.
FETL github: https://github.com/ryanbr/fanboy-adblock
- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 14204953, 5 years agoit's nice, but in firefox, the icon, isn't show to up right bar with extensions
- Rated 5 out of 5by Firefox user 14426437, 5 years agoThis addon is simple to use and to configure. Doesn't interfere with desktop (X11 CLIPBOARD) on Linux. Text is copied via PRIMARY instead which is used by mouse button 3.
"Selection Context Search" is the best replacement I found until now for the much better but outdated context-search addons from pre-Quantum era.
- Rated 4 out of 5by m4758406, 5 years ago1.) addon is activated
2.) I make changes in the bookmarks
3.) restart firefox
4.) changed bookmarks lost, nothing was saved before
I disable the addon
- Rated 5 out of 5by Firefox user 12527320, 5 years agoVery good. This addon allows you to customize the context menu search using place holders. Thus even when the query term appears in the middle of the URL, it can handle it nicely.
The "i" button for information does not work relialbly (macOS). It needs to be corrected.
- Rated 5 out of 5by natassja, 5 years agoIt works OK. I would love it to have an option to display results in background tab like in Selection Context Search mini#1
- Rated 5 out of 5by jorjio, 5 years agoawesome functionality!!
a request - a possibility to open the search in a smaller preview window instead of a new tab.
thanks for your work!
- Rated 2 out of 5by Carottinger, 5 years agoAn sich ein Tolles Tool - ABER: Bringt meinen FF61 ständig zum abstürzen und zertstört den Cut&Paste Buffer (extrem nervig). Support gibt's auch keinen - im Normalfall deaktivieren.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Mostafa Abobakr, 5 years agoFirefox CRASH becasue of " Copy to clipboard" option ,
I disabled it and it stopped freezing .
- Rated 5 out of 5by ak47wong, 5 years agoThis is absolutely fantastic work. One of the things I missed the most when upgrading to Quantum was losing the old Context Search extension by Ben Basson. Since then I've been delighted to discover that several replacements are available, but I think this one is the best of all of them.
It's super-configurable and you can adjust just about all aspects of how the extension works. The options page is a little tricky to work out initially, but you only need to tweak the defaults if you don't want to get too bogged down in the details.
There are three ways you can perform a search:
a) The normal way, through a sub-menu on the context menu
b) Directly on the context menu without needing the open a sub-menu (by installing the separate "Selection Context Search - mini" extensions)
c) Using the pop-up icons for one-click searching without the context menu
You can control where the search page appears. I prefer it as a background tab next to the current tab.
What I love is that you can replace a number of other extensions with this one. There are extensions that offer to translate the current page for you, but here you can translate either the selected text or the current page. Likewise, there are extensions for performing reverse Google Image searches, but this extension does that too. Brilliant!
REQUEST: Can we please have a blacklist of sites where we can disable this extension because it does NOT play well with JIRA. Too many times have I inserted something like "|!https://www.google.com.au/favicon.ico!|!https://www.google.com.au/favicon.ico!|!https://www.youtube.com/favicon.ico!|!https://en.wikipedia.org/favicon.ico!|" into my JIRA tickets.