- by reza, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5great ideas but poor implementation.
when I enable this addon, and then do any bookmark operation my memory usage goes as high as my max RAM.
and bookmark operation becomes very slow. so for example if I copy 400 bookmark from one folder to another folder, the memory usage goes very high and bokkmarks get copied almost one by one and very slowly.
I think this is because I use the feature that uses search engines from bookmarks and the addon searches bookmarks every time a bookmark changes, which is a very bad and time consuming implementation.
the addon should have an option (or a button) to load from bookmark only once, and not monitor bookmarks.
fixed in new version.
thanks for fast reply.
I already went with another addon though.
because every time I open the menu with right click the icons of my search engines are loaded through internet one by one as if there is no such thing as caching. either have an option to disable icons or cache them or give custom icon support that are not internet dependent.
thanks for the reply.
I changed my rating of your addon just because you give fast replies :).
if I remember correctly in earlier version of firefox I had addons that you could give '.ico' files as icons.
I think firefox new system has limitation for file storage on profile so you cant easily save icon files and use them but maybe that 'unlimited storage' can be used somehow as a workaround to store icons.
If it is not obvious I am not a developer so I take your work for it.
and thanks again.UPDATE: There is no way for the add-ons to cache an internet icon as far as I know. Please let me know if you saw that implemented somewhere.
Possible solutions are:
1. You can download the icons on your computer and in the Add-on Options page specify the local icon file address for each row. The local address should be specified like "file:///C:/icons/myicon.ico". The standard icon address on the internet is http://www.(DOMAIN).com/favicon.ico . So for google it is http://www.google.com/favicon.ico
2. I can supply some icons with the extension. But this will not cover all the websites.
3. I will implement the "Disabled icon" option as you suggested.
Please let me know if you have other solutions or suggestions.
Thank you for the bug reporting.
The issue is fixed now in v5.18.
There is no need for an extra option.
- by pauldavey, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5Good - but the popup selection source keeps getting included in some of my html edits!
That may be due to some other addon interaction but it is very annoying - so I disabled the popup selection option for each items which included it and I just use feature via the context menu which is powerfully configurable anyway.
I added many custom "searches" - e.g. https://unfurlr.com/?url=~$S$~ , https://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=~$D$~#last_reboot and https://www.whois.com/whois/~$D$~ ...
Suggestion: An overall master toggle for popup selection on/off would be niceThere is already a master option to disable the popup window. Is the first option under the table "Show the popup window when selecting text".
Can you give me an example of page where the popup window interfere? There is a specific scenario where this could happen and I'm curious if this is the same case.
- by Firefox user 1820450, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Hello
I have two problems. No icons are displayed in the poput window.
And there is an extra unnecessary submenu.
Windows 7 64-bit, Firefox 58
Icons are blocked by uBlock.
Extra unnecessary submenu ➜ Show "Add Search Page" in the menu when right click on a text fieldHi,
If you click the "More options" link from the Add-on Options page you will see the option to disable the "Add Search Page" menu item.
I agree that the menu does not look good when right clicking on a selected text in an input field. I will find a better solution.
- by Alexander B., 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Just perfect! I switched from Chrome recently, where I used a similar, but much inferior extension. This one is among a few reasons why I'm probably not switching back to Chrome anytime soon.
Popup window is a real helper. And I wish Firefox itself had such a flexible and easy way of adding search engines as this extension has.
One minor drawback - it seems that the extension doesn't cache search engine icons, so they are sometimes redrawn one by one rather slowly.I could not find a nice solution for this issue.
A solution, which will work only for the context menu, is do download on your computer the icons. Then, in the Options page, set the "Icon address" for each row to point to the local file. This address should be like "file:///C:/icons/google.ico".
- by Bossa Nova, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Firefox has made almost impossible to add custom search engines to the search bar and impossible to manage/edit the search engines that are there. This add-on is very useful! And it uses the search engines you create as bookmarks with the command "Add a keyword for this search". And it's very customizable. Thank you!
Only "critic": when you want to search a word that is inside a text area, it opens a second submenu.
- by onesolo2, 3 years agoRated 2 out of 5I've been trying to use this addon, by trying every version that is released, but after a few minutes that I enable this addon, I get a huge spike on Firefox memory usage till it uses all my memory available (I have 16GB RAM) and crashes my Firefox or sometimes leaves my window freezed!!! Can you please fix this?!? I'm certain that it's due to your addon because when I left it disabled I don't have thisDid you have this problem before the popup window was added?
Do you have this problem when the browser is just opened, with a blank tab? It is possible that a web page can react to this add-on. I never had this but it is possible.
Please let me know.
- by Firefox user 13354354, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Since the last Firefox update (58), when right clicking and going to sub-menu, the icons are no longer displayed. Even those whose I put an address in the configuration panel.
EDIT: sometimes it's working but sometimes not. I need to restart Firefox to correct the problem. Not very embarrassing but I have to say it.Maybe there is a latency to load the icons but I wait long time and nothing. And I use the classic version of Firefox 64bits.
- by Mylk, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Edit: saved configuration, reloaded default then loaded the saved one and everything started to work. I have vanilla Firefox.
5.9 does not work on Firefox 57. It does nothing when clicking on a search engine.
Seems when something gets fixed something else break.
Have the following installed: Awesome RSS;Bookmarked Speed Dial;Bookmarks Organizer;Close Tab History Button;Cookie AutoDelete;Decentraleyes;Default Bookmark Folder;Download Star;Evernote Web Clipper;Form History Control (II);HTTPS Everywhere;Image Search for Google;In My Pocket;Kee;Linkificator;MyJDownloader Browser Extension;Pushbullet;Reader;Reading List;Selection Context Search;small-clock;Snap Links;Tampermonkey;uBlock Origin;Update Scanner;Video DownloadHelper;Viewhance;Tweetdeck sidebarEdit: I meant to ask if you use some variations of Firefox like Waterfox, Pale Moon, ... Or if the Selection Context Search was installed other than from mozilla.org.
I do not know why it is not working for you. Maybe other add-on is interfering? You can save the settings, uninstall the add-on, install it again and load the old settings. I will look more in the code for a possible cause. Please let me know if you suspect a cause.
Do you happen to have something else than a regular Firefox with a standard add-on installation?
- by Yurii, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5It is very convenient to use the "show in the popur window" setting! Why not add this setting to "Resent searches"?
It'll be cool!
P.S. And at the same time make the size of the popur window adjustable (specify the maximum number of columns, and the lines will be determined depending on the popur window filling)I wondered if anybody needed the recent searches in the popup. I will add this to my to-do list.
The number of columns in the popup window is already customizable. In the Options page click the "More" link at the right of the "Show the popup window with the webpage icons" option. Please let me know if you thought of something else.
- by FahimF, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5This extension is very useful and I use it all the time. However, there is an annoying bug with the icon popup in the current version - it does not respect the "Open search page in" setting under preferences. Even if you have that setting set to "a background tab" (and not "a background tab next to current tab") the extension opens search results in a background tab next to the current tab ...
Hmm ... actually looks as if even the context-menu does not respect the "Open search page in" setting - it used to in the previous version but I have not used the context menu since the popup was added ...