Rated 4.4 out of 5
4.4 Stars out of 5
- by Alexander B., 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Just perfect! I switched from Chrome recently, where I used a similar, but much inferior extension. This one is among a few reasons why I'm probably not switching back to Chrome anytime soon.
Popup window is a real helper. And I wish Firefox itself had such a flexible and easy way of adding search engines as this extension has.
One minor drawback - it seems that the extension doesn't cache search engine icons, so they are sometimes redrawn one by one rather slowly.I could not find a nice solution for this issue.
A solution, which will work only for the context menu, is do download on your computer the icons. Then, in the Options page, set the "Icon address" for each row to point to the local file. This address should be like "file:///C:/icons/google.ico".
- by Bossa Nova, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Firefox has made almost impossible to add custom search engines to the search bar and impossible to manage/edit the search engines that are there. This add-on is very useful! And it uses the search engines you create as bookmarks with the command "Add a keyword for this search". And it's very customizable. Thank you!
Only "critic": when you want to search a word that is inside a text area, it opens a second submenu.
- by onesolo2, 3 years agoRated 2 out of 5I've been trying to use this addon, by trying every version that is released, but after a few minutes that I enable this addon, I get a huge spike on Firefox memory usage till it uses all my memory available (I have 16GB RAM) and crashes my Firefox or sometimes leaves my window freezed!!! Can you please fix this?!? I'm certain that it's due to your addon because when I left it disabled I don't have thisDid you have this problem before the popup window was added?
Do you have this problem when the browser is just opened, with a blank tab? It is possible that a web page can react to this add-on. I never had this but it is possible.
Please let me know.
- by Firefox user 13354354, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Since the last Firefox update (58), when right clicking and going to sub-menu, the icons are no longer displayed. Even those whose I put an address in the configuration panel.
EDIT: sometimes it's working but sometimes not. I need to restart Firefox to correct the problem. Not very embarrassing but I have to say it.Maybe there is a latency to load the icons but I wait long time and nothing. And I use the classic version of Firefox 64bits.
- by Mylk, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Edit: saved configuration, reloaded default then loaded the saved one and everything started to work. I have vanilla Firefox.
5.9 does not work on Firefox 57. It does nothing when clicking on a search engine.
Seems when something gets fixed something else break.
Have the following installed: Awesome RSS;Bookmarked Speed Dial;Bookmarks Organizer;Close Tab History Button;Cookie AutoDelete;Decentraleyes;Default Bookmark Folder;Download Star;Evernote Web Clipper;Form History Control (II);HTTPS Everywhere;Image Search for Google;In My Pocket;Kee;Linkificator;MyJDownloader Browser Extension;Pushbullet;Reader;Reading List;Selection Context Search;small-clock;Snap Links;Tampermonkey;uBlock Origin;Update Scanner;Video DownloadHelper;Viewhance;Tweetdeck sidebarEdit: I meant to ask if you use some variations of Firefox like Waterfox, Pale Moon, ... Or if the Selection Context Search was installed other than from mozilla.org.
I do not know why it is not working for you. Maybe other add-on is interfering? You can save the settings, uninstall the add-on, install it again and load the old settings. I will look more in the code for a possible cause. Please let me know if you suspect a cause.
Do you happen to have something else than a regular Firefox with a standard add-on installation?
- by Yurii, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5It is very convenient to use the "show in the popur window" setting! Why not add this setting to "Resent searches"?
It'll be cool!
P.S. And at the same time make the size of the popur window adjustable (specify the maximum number of columns, and the lines will be determined depending on the popur window filling)I wondered if anybody needed the recent searches in the popup. I will add this to my to-do list.
The number of columns in the popup window is already customizable. In the Options page click the "More" link at the right of the "Show the popup window with the webpage icons" option. Please let me know if you thought of something else.
- by FahimF, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5This extension is very useful and I use it all the time. However, there is an annoying bug with the icon popup in the current version - it does not respect the "Open search page in" setting under preferences. Even if you have that setting set to "a background tab" (and not "a background tab next to current tab") the extension opens search results in a background tab next to the current tab ...
Hmm ... actually looks as if even the context-menu does not respect the "Open search page in" setting - it used to in the previous version but I have not used the context menu since the popup was added ...
- by Firefox user 13617644, 3 years agoRated 1 out of 5The update removed all my customizations - that's not cool!!!I try to replicate this but everything works fine on my side. I don't know what is causing this.
Starting with v4.0 the settings are synced. Maybe there is the difference between my and your configuration.
- by Firefox user 652966, 3 years agoRated 1 out of 5Updated my review again. Today they added an extra step in the context menu for absolutely no reason. This extension is a mess of weird updates that either break something or makes it harder to use.Edit: Also do you happen to have more than about 700 rows in the Options table? I found that there is a 100k limit on the synced storage which by my calculation will store about 700 rows. If that is the case then I will abandon the synced storage. The not synced storage is unlimited.
Edit: I will upload a new version. If that doesn't fix the problem then my conclusion is that the problem is with the Firefox synced storage. Are you logged in with a Firefox account? If so, do you use this account on multiple devices?
The new version 5.0 fixes some bugs. Please let me know if you still have problems with the new version.
- by Lejon, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5If i may ask for more features, mostly related to the appearance, like:
1- An option to set the maximum length of selected text shown in the context menu. 44 is way too long.
2- An option to change the main context menu icon or hiding it completely.
3- An option to list the search websites in rows by their favicons without the text label.
and thank you for the great add-on.Unfortunately these features cannot be implemented due to API limitations.
1. Not possible. Firefox sets the length of the string. Also there is a Firefox bug where the ".." is appended in all situations.
2. The main menu icon is always the add-on icon. Eventually you can suggest a nicer icon for the add-on.
3. Again this is not possible by using the context menu. It could be implemented in a different way by opening a small window after clicking in the context menu or after the text is selected. But I think this way will be more inconvenient.