- by Xenofox, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Good TTS Addon. But sadly i cant use Premium Voices because its not possible to LogIn, as it shows no Window or Field to do so. I use the same addon for chromium, but instead of the firefoxversion, its possible to login there. Hope this will get fixed in the Firefoxversion soon.
- by Micro Mo, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5This will get bumped to a 5 when you can tell us how to fix the context menu option from disappearing.
For the meantime, here are the short cut keys to do the same things:
To Play - Alt-P
To Stop - Alt-O
Go Forward - Alt-Period or "Alt-."
To Rewind - Alt-Comma or "Alt,"
If you should forget Alt-P - Click the button in the toolbar that looks like a megaphone, if it's playing, hit the stop button. Then click the gear button next to the play button. A larger "Options" box will open, at the top you will see "Edit shortcut keys" that will open a new tab with the short cut keys listed. Using Alt-P will speak what you highlighted. If you don't highlight anything, it reads the whole page I believe.
Oh and some might not know but the little gear button is also where you change the reading voice. I like the Amazon ones.
Hope this helps you folks out while we wait for the fix. Actually Alt-P might be easier to use than the context menu. If they made this option clearer, most people probably wouldn't care and again, I would bump my rating up to a 5, for the clarity.
One Ton Shadow ©
- by Firefox user 14198032, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5It does the job, however, the voice is one of those old-school 1980s movies robot voices. Still use it just wish the voice was a little different. Sometimes it's hard to understand the voice for technical Words which is the reason I got it but that's okay.
- by LezBoyd, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Its great! It does what it says and has a huge number of voices and dialects to choose from.
Edit: Only thing missing is volume control. I keep the system volume at full, and adjust the volumes for various applications that have audio. It blasts at full system volume with no way to control the volume of spoken text.
- by Firefox user 13910159, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Being an Australian, I have selected the Google Australian female voice. It actually sounds more natural than the other selections, including the American ones. It's good for sitting back and listening to long documents or Wikipedia pages. It also allows highlighting sections of text for just that section to be read, making it extremely useful for the fine print in things like the terms and conditions of contests or membership rules, etc.
There are the odd mispronunciations, but in my opinion this is made up for by other enhancements...for example, dates written in US format are read out in British/Australian format. So a date written as March 30th is read back as 30th of March.
It also reads currency correctly. A figure like $123,456 is read out as "a hundred and twenty-three thousand, four hundred and fifty-six dollars"
Very happy with it. Well done to the developers.