- by Rob, 7 months agoRated 5 out of 5This addon has made YouTube a much easier place for me to learn from. I mainly use the site for education purposes, so having stuff like sidebar recommendations, comments, and a bunch of other nonsense alongside it makes it difficult for me to focus on what I need to do.
Sometimes I'll get sucked into recommendations hell where I'm staying up until five in the morning watching all the videos I have queued in separate tabs (knowing how to middle click links is both a blessing and a curse). There are times where I'll even get sucked into debates in the comments section where the only thing I get out of it is brain cell depletion.
So yeah, I'm really stoked to have this installed now. Just having that one single video on the screen and nothing else feels soooooo liberating. It's a million times more comfortable than what it was before, and I think I can study a lot more efficiently now. Blocking out recommendations and comments will probably help to preserve my sanity in the long term as well.
- by Firefox user 16780799, 7 months agoRated 5 out of 5The diff with this, as said before me, youtube becomes a tool rather than just disablingthe whole of it completely, which may be difficult to do, for most people.. only one thing missing - support as a standalone app, for android. It works through FF and Kiwi, but I use bromite. And so, where people usually watch YT - on their mobile - will be missing out on this. I am willing to donate to make this happen, if the creator wants to leave his email on here - we can talk further.
- by Firefox user 14294682, 7 months agoRated 5 out of 5Oh I cannot put into words how much I love this add-on. It's a digital life changer! It helps me concentrate and avoid spending every single time more time in Youtube that I've intended to.
- by Firefox user 14074716, 7 months agoRated 5 out of 5If you strip YouTube of everything that tries to hack your attention to keep you "engaged", literally 90% of the website is gone.
This is what the actual user value of the website looks like (FULL page screenshot): https://i.imgur.com/mEVdsJf.png
- by Bogdan, 8 months agoRated 5 out of 5I hate this situations when I go to youtube to watch one video, and this recommendation section makes so much information noise. I love this extension, because a watched no videos before, and now I can watch one or two that will benefit me. Thanks guys
- by geotibl, 8 months agoRated 5 out of 5This extension pretty much gave me my life and my mind back. It seals the YouTube rabbit hole, putting YouTube under your control (unlike a simple site blocker, which just makes all of YT inaccessible.) It turns YT into a tool, rather than a site that is constantly grabbing at one's attention. For example, if you had intended to search for a video on a certain topic, you can do it without having to ignore the constant stream of irrelevant videos in which you might otherwise be genuinely interested. You won't have to expend any willpower ignoring anything just to watch what you wanted to watch.
One might say, "just use the Firefox search bar, which bypasses the homepage." Oh, it's different. If you accidentally go to youtube.com, you're covered. If you watch a video and finish, nothing prevents you from calmly thinking about what you just watched, since the sidebar and video suggestions wall are now gone and nothing is pulling you away. The feeling of peace you'll feel is profound. It reminds me of how I felt before YouTube existed.
Personal experience: After turning on Unhook, I felt great, but after a few days, I felt empty, bored. That's addiction messing with you. I still didn't feel like turning off Unhook, despite these feelings, and after several days, I felt better. I even spontaneously felt that going outside and taking a walk would better relieve my boredom. (!) It did and I was not even restless. What a wonderful feeling to peacefully enjoy the outdoors again!
You can also unseal the rabbit hole easily if you like. Just press a button and the feature you've unblocked immediately reappears. Everything is under your control.
This developer should be nominated for a Nobel Peace Price. I've donated. If you can, I unhesitatingly encourage you to do so.
- by Roman, 8 months agoRated 5 out of 5Excellent addon. Allows you to watch only the video you came looking for, without getting lost in a loop of recommendations. Especially useful if you find yourself procrastinating by randomly opening up youtube page and watching a couple of short videos. With this, you'll only find a blank start page and a search bar