To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
About this Add-on
STOP! Have you tried the "Reader Mode" that is now built into Firefox (from version 38.x)?. If you have and are not satisfied with the current state of "Reader Mode", then read further to decide if Tranquility Reader is right for you. Else, first try to use the built in "Reader Mode".
Tranquility is a FireFox extension that improves the readability of web articles.
Tranquility removes unnecessary elements in a webpage, and provides a simple and tranquil reading experience. Similar functionality is available through Readability or iReader. Tranquility attempts to solve the same problem using a different approach.
To use tranquility you can:
- Click on the navigation-bar icon and the current web-page will be made readable OR
- Use Ctrl+Alt+T as a keyboard shortcut OR
- Right click on a link and choose "Tranquility!" from the context menu. A new tab will open the link in the Tranquility mode.
- Heavy users of Tranquility can enable the Pause/Break button as a single key shortcut
- Macintosh users are requested to use the Customizable Shortcuts addon to create their own customized keyboard shortcut
- Compatible with NoScript
- Save content offline for reading later. The tranquility view is saved locally on your computer.
- Add/update annotations to offline content; collate all your annotations in one place (with context) to copy your notes elsewhere.
- Ability to customize default font, font-size, font color, background color, and width of the reading area
- Support for multi-page documents (either using the print/single page view, or through providing navigation links to the additional pages at the top and bottom of the tranquility view)
- Selected text can be queried in Wikipedia or Wiktionary through right click context menu options or using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Alt+W and Ctrl+Alt+D respectively. Click outside the Wiki panel to hide it. Non-English users can select the Wikipedia language of choice from the Preferences window from version 1.1.2.
- Additional links on the original page are available through a "More Links" button
- Tranquil Browsing Mode is enabled by default. In this mode, left clicking on a link in the Tranquility view will also open the link URL in the Tranquility view in the current tab. Ctrl+Left Click will open the link URL in the Tranquility view in a new tab
- If a web page has not completed loading fully, Tranquility will wait for it to complete loading before processing the document
- Users can select the pruning strategy used by Tranquility in its attempt to get a readable web page. The default option is a Conservative pruning strategy. The Moderate and Aggressive pruning strategies may result in truncation of relevant/useful content depending on the structure of the web page
License & Copyright:
Tranquility is provided under GPLv3 license.
Copyright (C) 2012-15 Arun Kunchithapatham
Please send any feedback, bug reports, enhancement requests to "arunk" at "ushnisha" dot "com"
Release Notes are available via the support website listed
* Moved Menu to the bottom of the window; hide it faster (less obtrusive)
* Tranquility font size will override the page specific cached zoom level
* Support for a background image (FilePicker to select local file)
* Support for custom hex color codes for background, font, links, annotation highlighting
* Converted some hard coded string values to use localization
* Reduced complexity by eliminating support for defaultFontColor and defaultBackgroundColor etc.
* Removed support for versions 16.0 - 19.0
* Removed support for private browsing for pre 20.0 versions of firefox (was generating a warning during validation of earlier releases; and is no longer an issue).
* No longer detect documents with minimal content and no longer warn about document still loading (did not help the user experience; more negative feedback than positive regarding these features)
* Now when offline reading list is requested when the active tab is not in tranquility view (or not a html document, such as the "New Tab" view), then the offline reading list is opened in a new tab.
The Development Channel lets you test an experimental new version of this add-on before it's released to the general public. Once you install the development version, you will continue to get updates from this channel. To stop receiving development updates, reinstall the default version from the link above.
Caution: Development versions of this add-on have not been reviewed by Mozilla.
- Version 1.2alpha: