- Rated 1 out of 5by iiro, a month agoOn Startpage you could or can see ads from Nord. At the same time, Nord promotes Startpage as the best search engine. However, in my opinion, Nord is anything but serious and does not really care about privacy.
In my opinion, Startpage has proven that the privacy of its users is not its top priority and I can only advise against using their services or add-ons.
Developer responseposted a month agoWe have seen and heard some of the criticism about Nord and also know that many companies receive criticism. We believe that Nord ultimately wants to protect user privacy and their business depends on it. NordVPN has a large privacy-aware community and we think this partnership is beneficial for both companies and will help raise awareness about private search with Startpage.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Firefox user 15351442, 2 months agoIch benutze Startpage seit Jahren. Es war aber plötzlich von Firefox verschwunden. Ich hole es wieder, weil es diskreter ist und jede neuoffene Seite im eigenen Tab erscheint.
Developer responseposted 2 months agoVielen Dank für Ihr positives Feedback. Wir freuen uns, dass Sie mit Startpage zufrieden sind. Wenn Sie Fragen haben oder Hilfe brauchen, wenden Sie sich gerne per E-Mail an unser Support Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rated 3 out of 5by Firefox user 18116620, 2 months agoCan we get a verbatim option? come on.... What good is privacy if we can't find anything to begin with? Quotations, plus symbols, and ampersands are all ignored, the only operator that works is the minus operator
Well, some work, as for it working the same as bing that would be correct, because they don't work on bing either. As for google, in combination with verbatim mode they actually do work. On startpage it depends, the site: filetype: and intitle: operators work, as does the - operator, but the "" and + operators, which are essentially verbatim operators, are generally ignored entirely, which is extremely annoying tbh
Developer responseposted 2 months agoAdvanced searches on Startpage, including exact match, perform the same as on Google and Bing, which is to say that they work, but are not applied in 100% of searches. More information can be found here:
If you wish to discuss anything further, feel free to reach out at email@example.com. Thanks for caring about privacy.
- Rated 4 out of 5by Weserlaeufer60, 5 months agoBin vor einer weile von Google zu Startpage gewechselt und bin größtenteils zufrieden. Wie versprochen werden Google Ergebnisse geliefert.Vielen Dank für Ihr positives Feedback. Wir freuen uns, dass Sie größtenteils zufrieden sind. Wenn Sie Fragen haben, wenden Sie sich gerne per E-Mail an unser Support Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rated 2 out of 5by KrZo, 5 months agoOverall it was a really good search engine. However, recently I've been having trouble searching when I use VPN. I usually use VPN via the server location Frankfurt or Berlin in Germany and often also locations in neighboring countries. For some locations the search with Startpage works, but for many locations it has recently stopped working. Either a “blocked” message or just a blank page will appear. But even when I search without a VPN, it happens more and more often that I am blocked with my regular IP address. It's just annoying, so I can't give a good rating anymore. It has worked much better in the past...We're sorry your experience has taken a dip lately. Startpage is subjected to a substantial amount of automated abuse and scraping on a daily basis, which can be very costly financially and in terms of system performance. Accordingly, we have strong anti-abuse measures in place, which we continually work hard to improve. In some instances, normal users will set off one of our rules and be asked to verify they are not a bot.
Our Support team can work with you to release the block(s) on your searches so that this doesn't keep happening. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Scotty_Trees, 5 months agoIs it possible or is StartPage in talks with Mozilla to get StartPage included into Firefox like DuckDuckGo, Bing, and other search engines are? I really like the idea of using search engines already provided by the browser. I assume Mozilla wants to be compensated, but I'd be curious to know if there are talks in place or if they fell through. StartPage should be included within Firefox.Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We certainly agree and want everyone to be able to easily access Startpage. Go ahead and leave some feedback with Mozilla letting them know you'd like to see them add Startpage!
- Rated 4 out of 5by JobcenterTycoon, 6 months agoBin vor einer weile von Google zu Startpage gewechselt und bin größtenteils zufrieden. Wie versprochen werden Google Ergebnisse geliefert.
Nervig ist nur das sie manchmal ausfällt oder ewig lädt obwohl Google weiterhin funktioniert.
Developer responseposted 6 months agoVielen Dank für Ihr Feedback und Ihre ehrliche Meinung zu Startpage. Es freut uns zu hören, dass Sie größtenteils zufrieden mit unserem Service sind und dass wir Ihnen die Ergebnisse liefern, die Sie erwarten.
Es tut uns leid zu hören, dass Sie gelegentlich Probleme mit Startpage erleben. Wir verstehen, wie frustrierend das sein kann. Wir arbeiten ständig daran, die Leistung und Verfügbarkeit unseres Dienstes zu verbessern, um solche Probleme zu vermeiden.
Obwohl Startpage auf die Ergebnisse anderer Suchmaschinen zugreift, arbeiten wir dennoch unabhängig. Daher kann es gelegentlich zu unterschiedlichen Verbindungsgeschwindigkeiten kommen. Häufig hilft es, den Browser-Cache zu leeren, um die Leistung von Websites zu verbessern.
Ihre Rückmeldung hilft uns, unseren Service kontinuierlich zu verbessern. Wenn Sie weitere Fragen haben, kontaktieren Sie bitte unser Support-Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rated 2 out of 5by 1nfered-Data, 6 months agoTo be honest the website itself it great, but the addon sucks. How are you going to make a privacy oriented addon that cannot save my preferences when Private Browsing is enabled by default? Like every time I restart my browser I get defaulted preferences, not cool. Not to mention if I have safe search disabled but use the search bar the addon defaults to Safe Mode (ON) like what? This addon isn't good at all
Developer responseposted 6 months agoThanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We're glad you enjoy our service! Apologies for the inconvenience. Our extension does not currently support storing settings, but that's a great suggestion. Given that you are only running Private Browsing windows, if you want your Settings to stick, you'll need to search from the site itself, not the URL bar. Accessing Startpage by bookmarking the Settings URL would be a way to cut down on having to change your settings every time.
Thanks for caring about privacy. Feel free to contact us at email@example.com to discuss other potential workarounds.