Reviews for Pericles: Text to Speech Screen Reader
Pericles: Text to Speech Screen Reader by Alexandru Calin
- Rated 3 out of 5by KnOwlEdge, 3 years agoDespite the limited selection of voices and no access to Google Cloud TTS (like Read Aloud does), I prefer this to Read Aloud because this lets you personalize the Shortcuts, it scrolls the page, it highlights the text, it starts reading from where I click (IF it was reading already).
EDIT: I was too quick in my test.
Skipping text via any of the available options (shortcuts or the transport keys in the menu which opens when you click on the icon on the top bar) is NOT working.
As soon as you use any button, the addon gets crazy and start reading the same line or going forth and back, also in complete de-sync with the highlighted text.
And whatever key is assigned to the "play/pause" function, it only works while the Addons Menu is open, otherwise it doesn't. Also, Space, the key universally used for Play/Pause of any media content, can't be assigned to this function.
- Rated 4 out of 5by MalikClan, 3 years agoAfter Google read aloud failed in Firefox, I tried Pericles. So far mostly performing as expected.
- reads pdf after uploading
- reads the current webpage seamlessly
Does not read pages with mixed text + audio +video. So complex type webpages are a problem.
Wish there were more speaker style options.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Firefox user 15200517, 4 years agoSo far it works well, some website seem to block the extension but for a start it is pretty good and the voices are pretty understandable.
- Rated 4 out of 5by Across Addons, 4 years agoPlease make it stop CPU overloadI'll gladly try to help, if you give more details - when does CPU overload occur? Auto-scan might use abit of CPU when used on big websites, since it's doing alot of sorting and stuff - still you could report the pages which are slow so I can have a look, Thanks
- Rated 1 out of 5by Firefox user 14773307, 4 years agoI want to love this but it's annoying to use and very buggy. The highlighting and auto scrolling is nice when it's working. You can't easily start at a spot on the page and have it keep reading. if you select an area...that's all it will read until you reset it and select another area. The bugs make it unusable though. It tries to read two sections at a time alternating sentences between where you've advanced to and...somewhere else. On a site I'm using for school, it finds the first page in a chapter (not the one I'm on) and starts reading that. I don't know where it pulls the info from but it's really bizarre.Hi, the app is still in it's infancy so there are still some bugs to be fixed & needed features - however, if more people would be reporting the bugs (via website), or what they want, in more detailed manner, that would be more helpful. It also helps to force update the extension in the browser settings, some bugs may be already fixed since I'm doing alot of patches lately.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Bogdan Matei, 4 years agoI totally recommend it, very useful when you want to enjoy a long read
- Rated 2 out of 5by Firefox user 12627353, 4 years agoThis addon does what is advertised, and does it well.
However, I had to remove it. I suspect the functionality that discards irrelevant content is to blame:
When using Wikipedia, >any< article on Wikipedia, the Table of Contents would appear only so long as the page is still loading. The moment it's done loading, the Table of Contents disappears, the article is displayed as though it had never been there.
Since Wikipedia is one of my most frequently used bits of internet, this made Pericles worthless for me.
I originally encountered the problem in Waterfox 56.2.5, BUT it replicates perfectly in Firefox 64.0. That is to say, tables of contents on Wikipedia disappear in Firefox when Pericles is installed, too.
Two stars, because it does the text-to-speech well, but no more than two because it does not handle recognizing irrelevant content well.Hello DerGolgo,
Thank you for taking the time in writing this review, i appreciate it!
The bug has been found and will be fixed in next patch release!