Rated 3 out of 5by squidbeaksplatoon, 2 years ago
I downloaded this since my professor recommended it as a text-to-speech program, but lately (after the latest bug fix update) sentences will begin cut off. Like it will completely cut out the first word of every sentence and go from there. This is amazing when it works, but unfortunately for me this is too big a flaw to be using it as of right now.
- Rated 5 out of 5by colorCD, 24 days agoWorks great! I have ADHD, so reading through websites is often difficult for me. Having text read out loud to me so that I can read along (or hell, listen to it in the background) is very handy.
I think it would be great if more "reading" websites had native TTS, but that's not a reality yet, so Pericles is a great replacement :-)
(Also, for all your reading-along needs, Pericles lets you change the speed of the narrator, which is awesome.)
- Rated 5 out of 5by Byron, 2 months agoWorks as expected. Clear voice, good pace, good inflection, even tries to read misspelled words the way they are spelled. Kind of funny once you realize what just happened. :-)
- Rated 3 out of 5by Sascha, a year agoCan be a good help to have a web page read to you, but still limited and with many bugs. Most annoyingly, it seems to treat soft hyphens as word delimiters and split words in the middle if it encounters one. Also falls back to English if it encounters an unknown word, which means my (rather technical) German page is littered with English pronounciations even though these words also exist in German. Still: three stars for being a mostly useful, free accessibility tool - with potential for further improvements :-)
- Rated 3 out of 5by Firefox user 13506381, a year agoOption screen turns out to be black when I click on addon shortcut from toolbar. Addon freezes up as well.
The quality of the corresponding Chrome extension feels much better. Would love to see that stability here as well.
- Rated 3 out of 5by Firefox user 14629546, 2 years agoI really like the user interface and how a reader can easily select a sentence. There are options for changing the speed, too. I don't like that I can only use system voices (which on my device are terrible). Additionally, it sometimes skips around on the page, but refreshing helps that.
- Rated 4 out of 5by Ash, 2 years agoThis is the best screen reader out there. It repeats itself and gets stuck a lot less than its competitors- webpage graphics etc. do sometimes confuse it, but not a huge amount. Most of the time, it gets through a whole page without glitching out. My one suggestion is that more voice options are available, rather than just one British woman and one American woman.
- Rated 3 out of 5by KnOwlEdge, 3 years agoDespite the limited selection of voices and no access to Google Cloud TTS (like Read Aloud does), I prefer this to Read Aloud because this lets you personalize the Shortcuts, it scrolls the page, it highlights the text, it starts reading from where I click (IF it was reading already).
EDIT: I was too quick in my test.
Skipping text via any of the available options (shortcuts or the transport keys in the menu which opens when you click on the icon on the top bar) is NOT working.
As soon as you use any button, the addon gets crazy and start reading the same line or going forth and back, also in complete de-sync with the highlighted text.
And whatever key is assigned to the "play/pause" function, it only works while the Addons Menu is open, otherwise it doesn't. Also, Space, the key universally used for Play/Pause of any media content, can't be assigned to this function.