- by Hua Rong, 2 years agoRated 4 out of 5While I am initially unsatisfied with this addon, getting used to it and its quirks makes a world of difference, especially as the developer is actively improving it based on user feedback.
Thank you so much for replying and I appreciate it.
1. While I am aware of the option of editing the import/export, as I've made use of it, it is not intuitive. Thus, I believe that to improve usability, creating a different GUI element to handle deletion is best to streamline the user experience.
2. After switching to remove, the words are fully displayed. However, given my experience, there seems to be a possible source of confusing that you might take into account when improving your product. But with this, my personal issue with this is resolved.
3. Thank you for looking into the bug. It might be my biggest gripe with this addon since it's the only one I haven't found a workaround for.
4. As with (1).
5. I am sorry to hear that this is by design, and this is simply a case where our preferences do not match up. But as it doesn't significantly impact my experience after getting used to the addon, it's a non-issue to anyone using it past initial setup.
In conclusion, I have found most of my problems fixed with the exception of the bug, and a couple of potential improvements for you to consider. I have updated the rating to reflect my current opinion.
There are too many faults with this addon for anything but a one-star, because it is barely usable.
- There is no easy way to access a list of censored words. Removing words is tedious.
- The list of censored words on the Words tab itself is censored. Do you want to see what you've censored? Well, guess it based on first letter and length, or reference with the export page.
- Punctuation is ignored. There are some situations where you want to censor a word only when there is an exclamation mark after it, for example, because of varying context. However, this addon does not register anything entry with punctation.
- You can't disable the default list. You have to go through and remove what you don't want censored one by one, which, as mentioned before, is extremely tedious.
- Removing every entry on the list in an attempt to start with a fresh slate simply brings back the default list.
However, I think the testing setting is very useful. But unfortunately, until the above problems are fixed, this addon is really not complete.
If the creator of this addon chooses to fix one or more of these problems, I will gladly change my rating to reflect his efforts.
Developer responseposted 2 years agoUpdate -
I have just published version 2.1.0 that should address the bug in #3. With your use case in mind, I also added a button to clear out the word list (#1, #4, #5). I moved the check box to filter the word list next to the word list, which should be more accessible and intuitive (#2).
If there are areas/features of the filter that are confusing it might be worth taking some time to check out the wiki (https://github.com/richardfrost/AdvancedProfanityFilter/wiki). If after the update you still notice problems, don't hesitate to open an issue (https://github.com/richardfrost/AdvancedProfanityFilter/issues)
I'm sorry that the filter doesn't meet your expectations. I'll reply to each of your points in order.
- I am open to suggestions on how to improve the flow of modifying words. If you want to bulk adjust the filter, the fastest way is to probably to use the Config tab in the options page. Clicking export will show you the current config, which you can adjust and then save with the import button.
- The words are censored by default, but that setting can be toggled in the main settings page -> General Settings -> Filter word list in Options. They are censored using the current filter method (censor, substitute, remove). This was at the request of several users (schools, parents, etc).
- This looks like a bug in the Exact match method, it works as expected in partial mode. I'll take a look at that and see if I can get that fixed.
- This seems a lot like bullet 1, and is achieved most easily by importing a config that someone else has made, or make your own and import it.
- This is by design, and likely won't change. The filter would be completely useless without any words.
I am happy to work on improving the extension when possible, and I will do what I can to take your suggestions into consideration. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.