- Rated 3 out of 5by Firefox user 18181672, a day agoI've noticed recently that when I click the icon, it doesn't turn on. I have to click it twice. Why is that? Is it a bug? A lot of times I thought it's enabled and I hover a word to find out it's not on and have to click it again, it's a hassle really.
Developer responseposted a day agoOh I'm really sorry to hear that. That must be a problem arising from switching to event pages. I'll look into it right away and hopefully fix it soon. Thank you for letting me know!
Update 2023-12-06: I've fixed the bug and submitted a new version (1.17) to the add-ons store. It will appear as soon as Mozilla finishes reviewing it.
- Rated 5 out of 5by andy, 7 months agoThe best Japanese dictionary tool out there. The recognition is superior to all alternatives I've tried. The only real downside is, that you can't listen to the pronunciation. Specially for beginners, this is one of the most crucial parts in learning Japanese. This is the only reason why I am not using it in my main browser. Still, you guys created a really nice tool here.
- Rated 5 out of 5by theguythatcomments, 8 months agoThis addon is really cool and I don't think I would have ever gotten any good at japanese without it. I find it better than Yomichan.
However, one thing that Yomichan has are Japanese to Japanese (monolingual) definitions. Now that I find myself in the intermediate stage, I wish 10ten had Japanese to Japanese definitions so I could improve even more. Is this possible?
Developer responseposted 8 months agoThank you very much for your very encouraging comments! Monolingual dictionaries are definitely on the roadmap but unfortunately it will take some time I'm afraid. Thank you for your patience!
- Rated 3 out of 5by N R, a year agoI installed this extension as an alternative to RIkaikun as someone trying to transition from using Chromium-based browsers, back to firefox. 10ten basically acts the same, which I appreciate, but my one issue makes it nearly impossible to use: it shows way, way, way too many definitions.
Whereas Rikaikun shows you only the most relevant definition for the kanji compound or kana-word on hover, 10ten seems to show you every single definition for every kanji in the compound AND THEN the kana that comprising the reading of that kanji. It ALSO will take katana or hiragana words, and break them down into their individual kana and then start spitting out unrelated kanji readings so the list explodes to the point of being unusable.
For example, here is a screenshot of what I get when I hover over the word チェンソー. Whereas Rikaikun would simply give me the result for チェンソー, 10ten gives me the results for チェ、血、地、針、千…endlessly going down each kanji with "chi" as a reading.
What about お披露目？Same problem, where Rikaikun simply brings up the definition for that word alone, 10ten floods the screen with the definitions for 尾、御、緒…
Other entries that were especially bothersome: に関して brings up results for 二、荷，煮 and goes on... Kanji compounds like 実際 Are hammered by every possible definition for the usage of 実、Same with any word beginning with 人、No matter how relevant all of those usages Could possibly be to the compound in use.
Turning off dictionaries until I only have a single one turned on seems to do nothing to change these results.
I really do like this extension and how easy to use and read is. I'm sorry for such a long review. I just really wanted to lay this issue out as clearly as possible, because I do think it makes the extension much harder for people to use.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Developer responseposted a year agoUpdate: This is now fixed in version 1.15. Thank you for your feedback!
Hi N R! Thank you very much for your review! That's very helpful. I agree the entries listed in those example are not useful.
I think we can hide many of them, or at least make it so that you need to scroll the popup to view them.
Unfortunately, sometimes those shorter matches are useful. e.g. when looking up 非の打ち所がない it's useful to be able to look up 非 at the same time so I suppose we will need to be clever about when to hide the extra matches and make the behavior configurable.
I have filed an issue to track this problem here: https://github.com/birchill/10ten-ja-reader/issues/1036
Thank you once again for your helpful review. I hope we can make 10ten more useful to you in the near future.
- Rated 5 out of 5by enderandpeter, a year agoNo one should be leaving less than five stars for this incredible tool. This is one of the greatest inventions of mankind. Don't expect it to be absolutely perfect. It is a goshdarn godsend.