- par JoAb, il y a 3 ansNoté 4 sur 5No toolbar icon for this extension; can use CTRl-Q keyboard shortcut in Windows to open the extn in the sidebar. The search seems to work fine; the lower pane shows the bookmark location within the fully expanded bookmark tree, so if your searched bookmark is the 100th within a partcular folder/parent you would have to scroll up in the sidebar a 100 rows to find which folder is the parent. Perhaps you could initially just show the bookmark position within a folded bookmark tree, and an option (say a "+" icon) to expand the parent folder and/or the whole tree. Not sure if this is technically possible though, just my thoughtHello JoAb, thank you for the comments.
There is a toolbar icon for the extension. It is a yellow star with a "+" sign inside it. Maybe you removed it or you have something hiding it ? In the first case, try "additional tools" on far right of the toolbar, then "customize toolbar" .. and you should find it and be able to drag it back to the toolbar.
On the thing you suggest for "show search", this is not easily possible. but also this wouldn't match the frequent behavior that users often search for a boookmark to find where to drag a new bookmark which they want to put / create in that same folder and around the same place => they need to see the full contents of the folder around the searched bookmark to place the new bookmark.
By the way, this is exactly reproducing the behavior of the initial Bookmark Search Plus extension (pre-Quantum), which BSP2 is replacing.
Thank you, aaFn.
******** Edit ************************
On second thought, a proposal I could make is to add an action to the right click context menu which would be "Go parent folder" .. and it would jump you directly to the parent 100 rows above without you scrolling for it.
That action could be both in the main bookmark and in the search result panes .. what do you think ?
If that looks good to you, would you mind opening it as an issue on https://github.com/aaFn/Bookmark-search-plus-2/issues ?
******** Edit again ******************
Never mind, on third thought, I believe this is a useful feature for all, so I opened the issue myself
and implemented the function in 2.0.34.
- par Utilisateur ou utilisatrice 13418931 de Firefox, il y a 3 ansNoté 5 sur 5Thank you for your hard work...been waiting for the parent folder features since we lost it in web extensions. Nice to have this functionality back. I can now remove my legacy ext. reminder to keep checking for it.
- par Utilisateur ou utilisatrice 13000076 de Firefox, il y a 3 ansNoté 1 sur 5useless! This is not a 1:1 GoParentFolder-Addon
A much better solution (replacement) is:
https://add0n.com/bookmarks-manager.htmlHello anonymous, not sure what is useless, and sorry for the bad experience if something is not working.
Would you mind being more specific on https://github.com/aaFn/Bookmark-search-plus-2/issues ?
Note that BSP2 is first a replacement for Bookmark Search Plus from the same author than Go Parent Folder. It does the same thing but runs from inside a sidebar, so that it can remain visible at the same time as your navigation pages.
Bookmarks Manager is a good add-on and is inside a pop up, which is a different philosophy.
I do not believe it is fair to compare both together, it is a question of taste, and tastes are never absolute.
What we all strive for is to be useful to others, so anything allowing to progress is much welcome.
- par Utilisateur ou utilisatrice 12272868 de Firefox, il y a 3 ansNoté 5 sur 5Thank you for resurrecting the best add on for Firefox. I have a zillion bookmarks and folders and used to use Go Parent Folder all the time to find bookmarks. This add on does that and more. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!
- par irripod , il y a 3 ansNoté 5 sur 5I have already written a very positive review, but now I need to report a problem. Since the last update the add-on doesn't load, it only gives me the "Wait background load..." message, and that goes on forever. What should I do to make it work again, I wonder.
P.S.: Thanks for the answer. I have done what you asked for.
P.S.: Thank you for the quick fix – 2.0.29 works fine again.Hello irripod, can you open an issue here ?
I would need the traces contents (go to options panel for the add-on, and tick the "Activate trace" box. A readonly textarea should appear with an history of what happened.
Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience, let's tackle it, aaFn.
PS: Hopefully bug corrected with 2.0.29 now, let me know, and sorry for the inconvenience.
- par alexg, il y a 3 ansNoté 4 sur 5would've been better if it was integrated into the bookmark manager itself
also would be nice to have an option to show a column for parent folders in the bookmark manager.Hello alexg, thank you.
As said in some other post below, this is unfortunately not possible as of Firefox 57 and higher.
Quantum does not allow any add-on action in the bookmark manager.
- par Utilisateur ou utilisatrice 14125892 de Firefox, il y a 3 ansNoté 5 sur 5Hi!
Thanks for this extension. It does the job really fast, but it is quite invasive over the standard behavior of the bookmark side-bar :
- no more "right-click + key" accelerator in the pop-up menu ( for my "Frenchy localization" at least )
- reverting to the standard-mode resets the bookmarks view to the default view : so sad ... ( you should really do something about it )
Edit : updated to FF 61 : create a folder works perfectly ! cool stuff !Hello Stan, I guess you mean key navigation in the menus ? Similarly you'll notice that key navigation doesn't exist (yet) on bookmarks either. I'll add that later (I made a note of it -> https://github.com/aaFn/Bookmark-search-plus-2/issues/46)
Indeed, because of limitations of the new Quantum extensions, the only way is to recreate the native interface, it cannot be extended anymore ... so it is imperfect (but improving ... ).
Not sure what you mean by "reverting to the standard-mode resets the bookmarks view to the default view", can you explain a little more ?
Note: on localization, I'll do French first, promis juré :-)
- par Utilisateur ou utilisatrice 13538810 de Firefox, il y a 3 ansNoté 5 sur 5Wow. Works so well!! Great replacement for the outdated "Go Parent Folder / Show Parent Folder" add-ons. And I can finally search for folder names!! Great job.
Edit: Any way to assign Ctrl+B to bring up BSP2? (Or maybe assign it another shortcut key?)Hello, as a matter of fact there is a shortcut key (displayed in the sidebar menu since FF 60.0.1).
However Ctrl+B is already assigned to open the native bookmark sidebar and cannot be redirected.
So the following keys have been assigned from the few free left I could find:
- Linux = Ctrl+Shift+B
- MAC = Alt+B (Cmd+Alt+B doesn't match with authorized key pattern .. it is rejected)
- All others, including Windows = Ctrl+Q
- par Utilisateur ou utilisatrice 14093961 de Firefox, il y a 3 ansNoté 4 sur 5I have a lot of bookmarks divided into many sub-folders, this extension is essential for orientation in this jungle.
Thank you very very very very much!!!!
the only negative side is that when you view properties of a single bookmark, you can only see the "name" and the "address".
To be perfect it should also show the other properties of each bookmark as you would see by clicking with the right mouse button on "properties" of the single bookmark in Firefox without additional components.
In any case, I can only thank you again for this extension.
Really thank you.
MatteoHello Matteo, unfortunately, as said on the add-on main / description page, there is no management / display of bookmark tags, keywords, description field possible as Firefox does not expose those fields through its Web Extension API's.
This is a long open bug to FF (3 years) -> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1225916
Until they are made is available by FF, it won't be possible to manage them in BSP2.
- par eggyolk, il y a 3 ansNoté 5 sur 5Very nice replacement for the old "Go Parent Folder" extension. Thanks a lot!
Note: If you are using the "Privacy Settings" add-on, you can't use the
setting "websites.resistFingerprinting" of that add-on, since it makes firefox
report spoofed information to websites. In turn, the icon of "Bookmark search
plus 2 (v2.0.24)" in the toolbar is grayed out and a tool tip states that
"Bookmark search plus 2" does not work in FF56. However, opening "Help > About
Firefox" shows the correct version (60.0.2) of firefox.
UPDATE: Hello aaFn, many thanks for your swift update to version 2.0.25 - it works nicely!Hello eggyolk, this is because websites.resistFingerprinting (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/API/privacy/websites)
is disabling proper reporting of FF version in Navigator.buildID -> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Navigator/buildID
However, BSP2 needs the FF version, because I make it available on FF 56 for people wanting to use it on pre-Quantum (they are not able to go to Quantum [FF57+] due to other extensions they have which wouldn't work anymore with Quantum).
And on FF56, there are some WebExtension bookmarks features not available, for which I need to activate a special code so that I can get around those lacks.
Good news however, that particular privacy setting forces buildID to a specific impossible value on Quantum (20100101) which I can recognize, and as per documentation this setting can only happen on FF 58+, so when the code sees it, it can deduce it is running on FF 58+.
*** I will get out 2.0.25 tonight so that it will work with that privacy setting and with the Privacy settings add-on, and you can get both working side by side ***
The downside is that if at some time in the future I need to recognize an FF version superior to FF58 for new features coming from FF API, I won't be able to do that for people who have enabled that setting .. And so they may not be able to benefit from those new features.
Let me know if the new version is not working in your case.
- par EarthWindAndFirefox, il y a 3 ansNoté 5 sur 5Five stars for creating a much-needed bookmark search feature, last seen in the pre-Quantum "Go To Parent Folder" add-on. Its responsiveness is indeed somewhat slow, as noted by user Paul Jackson, below, yet the developer's answer is informative about the reason for this. Faster would be better, but having the functionality in the first place is what matters most at this time.
Thanks to user irripod for alerting me to this extension (by way of a comment for another add-on) and, most of all, to the developer for the good work. The developer's communicative engagement with users in this comment section is a further point of note.
- par vitaaliy, il y a 3 ansNoté 5 sur 5Unique extension for finding bookmarks in the large trees with a complicated multilevel folders and number of entries more than 80,000. The author aaFn put great efforts to function it flawlessly. My appreciations!
- par Paul Jackson, il y a 3 ansNoté 2 sur 5It looks like it would be a delightful add-on, however I have nearly 10,000 bookmarks, and everytime I access or start a search in my bookmarks using this add-on, my 60.0.1 Firefox hangs with 100% CPU utilization in a single thread, for about 45 seconds, before proceeding just fine. I'd wager that there's an N-squared algorithm, where N is the number of bookmarks, somewhere in a critical path.Hello Paul Jackson, indeed and this is not due to the add-on, but to Firefox API.
See this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1396364
This is hitting peope with lots of bookmarks. Firefox devs seem to think that 95% of users have less than 2000 bookmarks, and they consider people like you (or me) as "pathological cases" :-)
Patiently waiting for things to improve on Firefox side, and trying some workarounds meanwhile .. https://github.com/aaFn/Bookmark-search-plus-2/issues/2
Sorry that I do not have a better answer, aaFn.
- par ohillary, il y a 3 ansNoté 5 sur 5i can't tell u how many hours wasted trying to find out why a user can't search for their own goddamn folders in a browser. multiple forums later, nothing 'cept more grey hair. why even make folders if you can't later go in and search? seems like a internet 1.0 problem to me and none of the minions can explain why. had to use parent folder from alice but that became obsolete. now luckily, the extension was born.
con: sometimes doesn't show folder; have to right click to reveal . . . BFD, right?
pluses: this extension is a lifesaver. it has the highest utility for me. thank you, thank you, thank you
update: when i was doing 3-4 searches in a row, the search pane would just churn and be blank. reloading fixed it. just updated firefox to 60.0.1 (64-bit) and not having the problem. i really appreciate you working on this extension.Thank you ohillary.
Can you detail the operation you are doing when the folder is not showing, and you need a right click to reveal ? (I guess you're talking in the search pane).
Also, are you in "simple" or "advanced" click mode ? (see Options)
Any click should show the corresponding bookmark, so if not, there is a bug which I need to correct :-)
Edit: thank you for the update. If any problem is showing, do not hesitate to create an issue here -> https://github.com/aaFn/Bookmark-search-plus-2/issues
- par Chris, il y a 3 ansNoté 4 sur 5Great add-on - unfortunately it removes the entry "Sort By Name" from the folder pop-up (right click on a folder)Hello, I can add it if this is really used.
Mind that because of FF new WebExtension API limitations, I had to recreate a user interface ... so I am incrementally enriching it as per user demand.
If you want the function, would you mind creating the demand here so that we track it ?
- par Utilisateur ou utilisatrice 14019299 de Firefox, il y a 3 ansNoté 5 sur 5This is a very helpful add-on if you want to (re)organize your bookmarks. Find the folder where you have stored your bookmark, and then decide if you want to move it somewhere else. It is also useful if you have duplicate bookmarks and you want to decide which location you want to keep, and which one you want to delete.
Thanks a lot!
- par Utilisateur ou utilisatrice 14012911 de Firefox, il y a 3 ansNoté 5 sur 5géniale. c'est exactement ce que je recherche depuis logtemps déja. POUVOIR FAIRE DES RECHERCHE DANS LES FAVORIS DANS LES DOSSIER ECT. c'est génial. Merci pour cette extension !!