- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 12618564, a year agoVery good speed dial but there are things that are missing for me.
1. No option to resize dials, change number of columns or change dials alignment(Right know they are in center but i would like them to be more on top)
2. When using images with transparent background then there no dial borders.
3. No option to launch a new tab in background
Thank You!! for ur effort making this addon.Thanks for the feedback! To answer your questions:
1. You can change the number of columns in settings under "Max Columns"
2. This was by design, which is meant to be minimalist
3. You can open dials in background tabs by middle-clicking them
You can also follow YASD development on its github page: https://github.com/conceptualspace/yet-another-speed-dial
- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 13944793, a year agoOuch! YASD overwrote my Homepage which was a carefully curated list of ~ 20 custom URLs ... which I had not saved in my favorites :-(
Did I miss a warning that this would happen? If not, please add a warning during installation if possibleTry changing the homepage setting by going to Preferences -> Homepage. If you can't find the URLs there, check prefs.js in your profile folder. Unfortunately Firefox may overwrite this setting even without an extension (such as on update) so it is indeed better to use favorites instead of the text field :(
There isn't an explicit warning on install because the purpose of the speed dial is to change those pages, but I will try to make it clearer in the description. Thanks for the suggestion!
- Rated 5 out of 5by Guiluge, a year agoI've been a looong time Opera / Vivaldi user (20+ years or so), and I always miss the Speed Dial feature these browsers can offer.
YASD is quite amazing, though :
- superb & clean UI
- seamless syncing between devices
Keep up the good work, your extension is really the best out there.
One question : do you plan to provide an Android version ?
It would be a big asset ;)
- Rated 4 out of 5by ScootyPuffJr, a year agoVery good but please make an option to toggle the "Add to Speed Dial" context menu item as it's pretty annoying when you miss-click and end up with a random site in your Speed Dial lol. Cheers!
- Rated 2 out of 5by Firefox user 5926074, a year agoIt seems simple and easy to use, but I can't switch because it doesn't have a backup function.
Do you have any plans for that?Under the hood, YASD speed dials are just bookmarks, so all you have to do to back them up is export your firefox bookmarks (Main Menu > Show Bookmarks Manager > Export Bookmarks), or enable Bookmarks and Extensions in Firefox Sync. That said, since people often look for an export in the YASD settings I'll look to add one in the next update :)
- Rated 5 out of 5by Sky, a year agoBest Speed Dial. But I have a few ideas.
1. The icons of some sites are cropped too much. (Linkedin for example);
For some sites does not generate the most suitable icon (for example, google main page or translator)
2. It would be nice to be able to adjust the distance between tabs and their size; including, depending on the availability of titles.
Thank you! I've been trying to find speed dial like in opera for a long time.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Firefox user 10266452, a year agoSimple, specific, private, and does exactly the specific job you need. Don't download any of those other data farming new tab extensions, just get this open source one.
- Rated 4 out of 5by veganpete, a year agoIt's good but as a speed dial, it's not really so speedy. The 2 main problems which need fixing are:
1- It allows you to create new folders - but offers no way to move dials to new folders/groups. Added dials are automatically saved to the main dial, you can't drag them to a new group (basically, if you want groups/folders, you're going to have to manually type all the URL).
2- New dials are added to the top of the main dial - this means you have to scroll down further and further through hordes of sites to get to your favourites/most-used - or manually re-arrange the dials every time you add new ones.Thanks for the feedback! Both suggestions have been implemented in version 1.14:
1 - Dials can now be drag and dropped between folders. You can also add new dials directly to a folder simply by bookmarking the site and choosing the subfolder
2 - The default sorting algorithm is now the one you suggested -- new dials appear last. The old sorting can be enabled in the settings (sometimes new dials first is preferable, for example when using YASD as a bookmarks manager it's better having recent dials at the top)
- Rated 5 out of 5by Ysengrimus, 2 years agoMigrated to this extension from Speed Dial 2 after I discovered that SP2 has a serious privacy problems. Really happy that YASP saves bookmarks in browser and uses local disk for tabs thumbnails - no migration and privacy problems due to this. And yeah, that all is absolutely free!
I really miss only one feature from SP2 - popup list of last visited sites. IMO this is a very useful thing. Also I would like to have an option to remove addon's entry from right-click menu. Options of customizing fonts and changing size of thumbnails would be nice too, but I can live without this.
- Rated 3 out of 5by Firefox user 16132219, 2 years agoI quite like this, but strangely, every so often it seems to jumble the bookmark tile titles with URLs, which is both odd and frustrating.. Also, as someone else noted, you can create sub-folders to group bookmarks, but you can't drag bookmarks to them, or create new bookmarks in them... So.. starting to go off it a bit...
Update: notified these bugs have been addressed, thanks for addressing this. I'll give it a go :o)
Update 2: Well, currently running v1.14.7 on FF v.90, and have just logged in to find half my tiles have the same name... Again. However, "drag shortcuts to folder" seems to work. It's getting there... :o)
- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 16831018, 2 years agoreally a very good extension!
I was looking for a simple favorites launcher to replace the Firefox "most visited sites" page and I was desperate to find my happiness after trying apps like Papaly or Raindrop.io ... Too messy, slow, requires an account .. .
I hope this extension will be followed for a very long time, it deserves it, and above all we must keep a simple and light style ^^
Some points of improvement:
- Choice for a 24 hour clock format.
- Possibility to choose a format of square thumbnails for big icons.
- Choice for launch in a new tab or not.
- a link in the settings for donations.
Very good work
- Rated 5 out of 5by smir_ant, 2 years agoЛучшее расширение. Я считаю именно так должен выглядеть стартовый экран, а эти отстойный Top Sites и Highlits бесполезные.
- Синхронизация через инструменты закладок и ты не потеряешь это, не надо импортировать или экспрортировать данные.
- Проект с открытым исходным кодом, спойнее становится по поводу приватности.
- Автоматически генерирует красивые картиночки, но если что-то не нравится можешь поставить свою.
- Супер, ну просто мега простой интерфейс, можно отключить всё лишнее.
- Поддерживает папки.
- Бесплатно, абсолютно бесплатно и без отслеживания - мечта, и это то что я искал.
Спасибо, ребят, вы классные <3
Я уж думал придется стандартными неудобными функциями пользоваться.
- Rated 5 out of 5by MC, 2 years agoExcellent !!!
slight redesign of UI from an UI specialist:
- allow creating folders, changing image/icon and re-arranging them the same way links are
- display a clickable path on top
- on/off checkbox list for widgets like the clock and the path
- allowing save/load (for exporting) in JSON format or CSV
- +/- or input field in settings for font size and object sizes, also for inter object space, in rem units (proportion out of the width of the window) thus keeping dynamic and proportional aspect
I would pay for this extension if it can become a professional tool
Developer responseposted 2 years agothanks for the great feedback!! i develop this in my spare time so it's nice to know others find it as useful as i do :) some of these items are in development (object and spacing size, import and export, folder sorting and folder drag and drop). i try to balance having too many features with keeping it fast, simple and effective at what it does. hop onto github if you're able ;)
- Rated 5 out of 5by Firefox user 12568061, 2 years agoDoes basically everything I wanted--and looks great while doing it!
YASD doesn't overwhelm you with options, it doesn't hoover up your personal data, and it lets you tweak everything you'd care about, including allowing your own thumbnails for the dials.
The developer is also super quick to respond to any problems you encounter! If you're not happy with the other speed dials, or if you happen to think Opera did a great job with its own, then check out this one.