- by Firefox user 13221270, 2 years agoRated 5 out of 5Hi, can you port this addon for Mozilla Thunderbird? To open text links from Thunderbird in Firefox. I tried, it installs okay, but not working. Thank you
- by LFO, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Great add-on. Can't live without this amazing extension. Works great now!
Most recent update has broken this completely. Double clicking any text on any web page opens a website tab. This add-on is always trying to load every text double-clicking as a new web page. Even text that is clearly not a link. It "lookups" everything. Way too aggressive. Went back two versions, no issues. Hope this gets fixed soon. :) Love this add-on!
Last working version:
I understand that it can be tough to balance between functionality, I appreciate your efforts. I was just trying to help make your add-on even better for everyone.
Perhaps you could make a preference option to "disable on input fields" or something? Otherwise, as it is now, every double click on every plain text on every web page I've visited so far is interpreted as "let's try and open a new tab with text.com" and it's quite frustrating. But I'm happy to stay on version 2.1.1 for now it is working just fine without this glitch. Just trying to help!
You nailed it :) Working flawlessly in my testing here. Thank you so much for the fast genius fix!!
Developer responseposted 3 years agoAre you talking about version 2.2.0 or 2.2.1? 2.2.1 fixes it going off on doubleclicks in textboxes at least.
I know it's gotten a little oversensitive, but people also complained of previous versions that it didn't detect enough, because my code tried to decide on its own what is and isn't a URL. It was a maintenance nightmare that introduced a lot of acceptable edgecases that failed to work.
The compromise I've made now is that I let the browser decide what may or may not be a valid URL to try and open. That means virtually every kind of URL will work (like magnet, mailto, ftp, ssh, whatever you want), but it also means it will try to load a lot of things that are valid URLs but don't actually exist.
Using the "require shift key" option could lessen the pain until I find a way to improve this oversensitivity...
Sorry about this, but it's impossible to please everyone. I'm trying what I can.
Edit: you got me thinking and I may have a somewhat useful trick to reduce your problem: https://gitlab.com/Marnes/plain-text-linker/issues/8
Edit edit: I'm already publishing an update that should cut down the excessive tab opening a lot
Edit edit edit: it's already live :) Try updating now, it should be a lot better. Thanks for the constructive feedback and cooperation!