- by Benyamin Limanto, 3 months agoRated 3 out of 5This tools is good, but the problem is simple, it keep at poping up a tab and that cause problem for me. I think my computer get virus, but after looking at the URL, It's elsevier URL so yeah... It's mendeley...
Developer responseposted 2 months agoThanks for your feedback. This is indeed our "silent" login, which is clearly not silent enough!
We are actually looking to update how we log in in the near future so you won't have to see this screen pop up anymore, I hope this helps!
- by James F, 5 months agoRated 3 out of 5Updated review: I have noticed some improvements in recent use (over previous versions and complaints). As a researcher and software developer I do realize it's been updated and I appreciate the renewed effort to this product since it's vital to keep research from wasting time just downloading bibtex and articles. Really, Mendely is to beind the curve without a good scraper tool. Having said that it's a still a major pain in off-campus logins (especially via SSO). Ideally, I could grab articles directly from Scholar or other search engines in batches. Less ideally but still not as infuriating is being able to consistently get PDF and bib file via whichever main publisher from the article site and not have to going to the PDF at all.
As a researcher, I can tell you this is one of the most frustrating ways to collect articles. On scholar, it can never find the pdf but gets the bibtex. Click to the PDF it can't find the bibtex. This extension is slower and more annoying than downloading everything yourself. It's been the same for years now...so don't believe the coming soon. It's like they don't talk to academics.
Developer responseposted 5 months agoWe are sorry to hear you have had a poor experience with Mendeley Web Importer. The extension has been completely rebuilt from scratch over the past 18 months and we are committed to improving its reliability and accuracy.
- by Firefox user 16180484, 10 months agoRated 3 out of 5Can't import PDF files from APS (only tested PRD and PRL, and I have no problem accessing them via webpage), which is a major pain in the ass, works well for arxiv or elsevier. If a warning for merge can appear when the paper is a duplicate, that'd be much easier for me.
- by M., a year agoRated 3 out of 5I have been using Mendeley for about 10 years and find using Mendeley Web Importer increasingly irritating. I am also using addons like Ghostery or Cookie AutoDelete but, in spite of the fact that I granted the add on all necessary access Mendeley WI asked for, I am still experiencing problems with signing in. I am wondering how is that possible that the Mendeley add on cannot be designed in a way that is compatible with privacy protecting addons and trying to force you to uninstall them (see Mendeley WI troubleshooting faq) if you want to use it.
Developer responseposted a year agoHi M. Thank you for your review. I use Privacy Badger myself, we are aware that some of our customers like to use these kinds of extension. We will be refactoring our authentication processes in the coming months which will hopefully make sign in more reliable. Have a great day!
- by Firefox user 15079577, a year agoRated 3 out of 5Does not recognize PDFs on many publisher pages (tried tandfonline.com, academic.oup.com, and many others) where the previous version detected them easily.
Does not give the possibility to save a reference and PDF directly from the PDF viewer on the browser, which was possible before if I am not mistaking.
Mendeley is a great tool for researchers but this version of the web importer still needs improvements.