- Rated 3 out of 5by Jeff, 2 years agoThis add-on is very basic and default limit of 10 is a problem. I happened to have 60 tabs open when I installed the add-on and then I could not get to options to change the add-on since the Max Tabs default limit is 10.
Having installed the add-on with 60 tabs open and the add-on having a Max Tabs limit of 10. I could not open Firefox Options (unless I remembered or did a search to find that the tab/page opened is about:preferences) or Firefox's Extensions & Themes page (unless I remembered or did a search to find that the tab/page opened is about:addons). Most importantly, I could not right-click on the Max Tabs icon and use the Manage Extension command since that opens up a new tab. I could have obviously closed 50 tabs. If I had remembered these about:xxxxx URLs for Firefox Options and the Extensions & Themes (or did a search for them), maybe Max Tabs would have let me use one of the about:xxxxx URLs in an already open tab.
Thankfully, I saw a blurb about it not working by default for Private windows. The hack I used was to open up a Private window, then open up Firefox Options, then Extensions & Themes. I then went to this add-on and modified the settings/options, changing the "Run in Private Windows" setting to Allow and then the "Max Tabs" option from 10 to 70. After saving the option change, I then went back and disallowed "Run in Private Windows". I then closed the tabs in the Private window and went back the the primary windows that had been stuck, unable to open up any tabs of any sort.
This default limit should be increased or maybe the add-on can launch the options tab upon install so that the Max Tabs limit can be set by the user.
Finally, it would also be nice if the add-on launched a tab saying "Tab limit has been reached." or something along those lines when one tries to open a tab and the tab limit has already been reached. The Google Chrome extension "xTab" has this feature, making it clear why a new tab cannot/will not be launched.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Jamie, 4 years agoThis add-on is exactly what I was looking for! But I have a list of suggestions for improvements...
1. When you first install it, you can't get into the options, because it won't let you open more tabs!!! I suggest the default number of tabs should be 1 more than the number already open.
2. I also suggest that Firefox options / add-ons tabs should ALWAYS be allowed.
3. I don't like the message that pops up when you reach the tab limit, saying "You have decided not to have more than 23 tabs". It's too long-winded and personal. I'd prefer a simpler, less personal message like: "Maximum number of tabs reached".
4. Sometimes I middle click a link to open it in a new tab, not realizing it didn't work because I'd reached my maximum number of tabs. I think the alert should be much bigger and in the center of the screen, so we don't miss it!
5. Another problem is the way this add-on works. If it STOPPED you from opening a new tab, there would be no problem. But the way it works is to quickly close a new tab that you've opened. This makes you feel as though you've opened a new tab, which can lead to you losing something you were doing, thinking you're on a new tab when you're not. This has happened to me a few times already.
6. Most of the time, I want a limit on how many tabs I can open, but there are occasions when I want to temporarily open a large number of tabs. Therefore, it would be useful to toggle the tabs limit on/off with a simple button on the toolbar.