- Rated 5 out of 5by Firefox user 15056078, 3 years agoEyyy, thanks for the response! I'll use the desktop client :)
This has been really useful, but the new permissions ('data on all sites') are sketching me out! Maybe I just read too many stories of popular addons getting bought by spyware companies...
Developer responseposted 3 years agoFear not! Altair has always requested permissions for all sites but they were removed, and then re-added at v2.4.3. This is required to allow Altair send requests to your domain without getting CORS errors which is the default behavior. After the permissions were removed, there were several reported issues of Altair not working (e.g. https://github.com/imolorhe/altair/issues/1136). Of course these issues were resolved after re-adding the permissions in v2.4.3.
You can see the relevant commit trails:
Removed permission (v2.4.0): https://github.com/imolorhe/altair/commit/a0cd9fad9bdaba65966c12c8aa5fad409efdfd3c
Re-added permission (v2.4.3): https://github.com/imolorhe/altair/commit/2802c9429ebcd571ca046820dd74f2f893670fb2
You can read more on why these permissions are required here: https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/xhr
Of course if you still feel that the permissions are extremely fishy, you're welcome to use the desktop apps instead, or perhaps host Altair on your domain using one of the available integrations: https://altair.sirmuel.design/docs/integrations
Sorry for the confusion!
- Rated 5 out of 5by nmarier, 4 years agoThe extension is beautiful and has every feature one could want. The only concern I have is permissions. I'm not sure why this add-on would need to access my data for all sites.
Developer responseposted 3 years agoThanks for pointing that out. We don't need that permission for the addon to work actually :)
- Rated 5 out of 5by Firefox user 14540431, 4 years agoThis is pretty good, but why do I have to click "reload docs" when the API changes? GraphQL APIs are supposed to change all the time, please make it reload the docs immediately. Also the app will always be online to do queries.
Developer responseposted 4 years agoThere is no mechanism to reload the docs when the APIs are updated, except maybe a polling mechanism which isn't optimal. You should create an issue on Github for this so that there can be better discussions around it.
UPDATE: There is such a mechanism now. The X-GraphQL-Event-Stream header allows you specify a stream URL that your server can use to notify Altair of changes and reload the docs for you.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Sandy, 5 years agoGreat GraphQL tool for Firefox. Constant improvements, and super easy to use and very quick to respond to issues.
Been using it for a few months now and makes my GQL work easy.
- Rated 5 out of 5by mokeyish, 5 years agoIt's helps me a lot.