Section 1: Information We May Collect
We may collect the following information via your use of the BE:
- Usage patterns, how you engage with the BE: this helps us understand how our products are used, and inform product decisions and customer support
- Performance and monitoring metrics: this helps us ensure that our products work the best possible way for all of our customers
- Browser type
- Language settings
- IP address
- And personal information that you choose to provide us with, e.g. when creating an account on buffer.com, such as: full user name, password, email address, city, time zone, credit card and other billing information, preferences, telephone number
Where applicable, we indicate whether and why you must provide us with your Personal Information, as well as the consequences of failing to do so. If you do not provide Personal Information when requested, you may not be able to benefit from our Site if that information is necessary to provide you our services or if we are legally required to collect it.
Some of the above information may be collected via cookies and similar technologies. We use "cookie" technology to collect website usage data and to improve the BE, our sites and our services. A cookie is a small data file that we transfer to your computer's hard disk. A session cookie enables certain features of the BE and our service and is deleted from your computer when you disconnect. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser with subsequent use of the BE.
Persistent cookies and similar persistent local data storage can be removed by following your web browser help file directions. Most Internet browsers automatically accept cookies. You can instruct your browser, by editing its options, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from the BE, you may not be able to utilize the features of the BE or other Buffer services to their fullest potential. Buffer does not process or respond to web browsers’ “do not track” signals or other similar transmissions that indicate a request to disable online tracking of users who use the BE or other Buffer sites.
We may also automatically record certain information from your device by using various types of technology, including “clear gifs” or “web beacons.” This automatically collected information may include your IP address or other device address or ID, web browser and device type, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after you use the BE, the pages or other content you view or otherwise interact with when using the BE, and the dates and times that you use the BE. We also may use these technologies to collect information regarding your interaction with email messages, such as whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded a message.
Our servers may also automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you use the BE ("Log Data"). This Log Data may include information such as your IP address, browser type or the domain from which you are visiting, the web-pages you visit, the search terms you use, and any advertisements on which you click. For most users accessing the Internet from an Internet service provider the IP address will be different every time you log on. We use Log Data to monitor the use of the BE and for the BE’s technical administration. We do not associate your IP address with any other Personal Information to identify you personally, except in case of violation of the Terms of Service.
Section 2: How We Use Your Information
We may use your information collected in the context of the BE:
- to help us understand how our BE is used, inform product decisions and customer support;
- for error monitoring and debugging;
- for performance monitoring;
- for anonymization, including to gather performance and monitoring metrics;
- to remember choices users made and other in-browser tracking e.g., to remember that users are logged into buffer.com;
- to improve our BE;
- to link your use of the BE to your account profile, and communicate with you to verify your account and for informational and operational purposes, such as account management, customer service, or system maintenance.
We may use your Personal Information for the above purposes when:
- you have consented to the use of your Personal Information;
- we need your Personal Information to provide you with services and products requested by you, or to respond to your inquiries;
- we have a legal obligation to use your Personal Information; or
- we or a third party, have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information. In particular, we have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information to ensure and improve the safety, security, and performance of the BE or other Buffer services.
Section 3: How We Share Your Information
We may share your information collected in the context of the BE in the following ways:
- with service providers, to the extent necessary to perform their functions and under an obligation to maintain the privacy and security of your data. For instance, we may share your data with Bugsnag, an external service we use for error monitoring and debugging, with NewRelic, an external service we use for performance monitoring, and with Google Analytics, an external service we use for aggregate website traffic analysis.
- with our headquarters and affiliates, and business partners to whom it is reasonably necessary or desirable for us to disclose your data;
- to provide non-Personal Information to third parties for business or marketing purposes or to assist third parties in understanding our users’ interest, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and functionality available from Buffer;
- with government and law enforcement officials or private parties to enforce and comply with the law or other parties to enforce our rights and protect our systems;
- in connection with the sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization, sale of assets, or similar transaction, or in the event of insolvency or bankruptcy.
- as you ask us to or otherwise give us permission to disclose you information.
Section 4: How We Protect Your Information
Buffer is very concerned about safeguarding the confidentiality of your Personal Information. We employ administrative, physical and electronic measures designed to appropriately protect your Personal Information against accidental or unlawful destruction, accidental loss, unauthorized alteration, unauthorized disclosure or access, misuse, and any other unlawful form of processing of the Personal Information in our possession. Please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot guarantee that information about you will not be accessed, viewed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our administrative, physical, and electronic safeguards, subject to requirements under applicable law to ensure or warrant information security. We will make any legally-required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored Personal Information to you via email or conspicuous posting on our Site in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system, and any other disclosures that may be required under applicable law.
Section 5: Your Rights and Choices
Where required by law, we obtain your consent for the processing of certain Personal Information collected by cookies or similar technologies or when we carry out other processing activities for which consent may be required. If we rely on consent for the processing of your Personal Information, you have the right to withdraw it at any time and free of charge. When you do so, this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent withdrawal.
To update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists, delete your account or submit a request to exercise your rights under applicable law, please contact us as specified in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
Section 6: Data Transfers and International Use
Section 7: Our Policy Towards Children
The BE is not directed to persons under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our files.
Section 9: How to Contact Us