Web of Trust
(Last updated June 11, 2018)
Web of Trust, operated by WOT Services LP (“WOT”), is a world-wide community of millions of users dedicated to creating and maintaining a safe and trustworthy web experience. The WOT services, offered through our website https://www.mywot.com/ as well as our desktop and mobile browser extensions and apps (the “WOT Products”) and our online forum and community platform (collectively, the “WOT Services”), involve the collection and analysis of a great deal of data necessary for the supply of the WOT Services.
● Information We Collect
● How We Use the Data
● Sharing Collected Data with Third Parties
● Cookies & Third-Party Tools
● Do Not Track Disclosure
● Your Responsibility for User-Generated Content
● Data Transfers, Storage and Security
● Data Retention
● Your Rights
● Third-Party Links
● Updates & Revisions
● Any Questions/Suggestions
Information We Collect
We may collect from and about you both Personal Information and Non-Personal Information, as follows:
1. Information You Provide Directly – We may collect information directly from you, including information that identifies or can readily be used to identify an individual (referred to herein as “Personal Information”). This information that we collect directly from you includes:
▪ Customer Support Information – You may voluntarily provide us with information when you contact us for customer support, such as your name and email address. We will use any Personal Information received for customer support purposes to communicate with and support you, and we will not share it with any third parties, except as reasonably necessary to provide customer support.
▪ User-Generated Content – Content provided by you and other users of the WOT Services, for purposes of sharing with other members of the WOT community, through our forums or otherwise, is referred to as “User-Generated Content” and may include Personal Information, such as your name, if you include such information with your User-Generated Content.
2. Information from Third Parties – We may also receive Registration Information about you if you register through a social network (e.g. Google+, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and others). This Registration Information may include any information (such as profile picture, public and basic information, status and photos) as provided by you to the applicable social network operator, and which such social network operator permits to be shared with third parties. The data we receive from your social network operator depends on your privacy settings with the social network operator, and we will not post information about you on third party social media sites without your consent. You should review and, if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and services before linking or connecting them to the WOT Products or WOT Service.
3. Automatically Collected Information – When you install and use the WOT app or WOT extension, we also collect from you automatically, and where applicable through the Android accessibility services feature, information related to your use of the WOT Services and your web browsing activity. This information may include, without limitation, the following:
▪ From WOT desktop/mobile extension and desktop app - Internet Protocol Address (trimmed to permanently remove specific location information other than country, city & postal code); device type; operating system and browser; TabID; Search engine results page (keyword, order/index of results, link of result, title, description, ads); web pages visited and time stamp of the visit; display ads; and WOT user ID.
▪ From WOT mobile app – Internet Protocol Address (trimmed to permanently remove specific location information other than country, city & postal code); device information (device model name, device ID (permanently and irreversibly encrypted), OS version, whether device is rooted, screen size); information about installed apps (name, id, type, install date, update date, version, time used, whether on home page); applications web connections; and browsing information (browser, web pages visited and time stamp of the visit).
In addition, if you register and use our website to rate and/or provide comments on a website, your Internet Protocol Address is automatically collected. Some of this automatically collected information may be considered “Non-Personal Information,” which is anonymous, aggregated or de-identified information that is not collected together, or otherwise associated by us, with any Registration Information or other Personal Information, if any, that we hold about you. When we automatically collect information, we go to great lengths to make sure that Non-Personal Information remains anonymous, as further described below.
How We Use the Data
WOT uses the information collected from or about our users for analytical, operational and business purposes in the following ways:
● to provide and operate the WOT Services for our community of users, including the display of safety and reputation data about websites you visit;
● to further develop and improve the functionality and features of the WOT Services;
● to analyze how you interact with the WOT Services, including to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends, and for other research, analytical, and statistical purposes;
● with respect to Registration Information and Customer Support Information, to provide our users access to our user forums, customer and technical support, to respond to user inquiries, and to notify our users of WOT updates and promotions;
● to enforce the Terms of Service, to prevent misuse of the WOT Services and unlawful activities by WOT users, and to take any necessary action in the event of a dispute regarding use of the WOT Services; and
● to comply with any applicable laws, regulations, or requests from government agencies or legal authorities.
Our use of your Personal Information and Non-Personal Information will be based on (a) our legitimate interests in enhancing, improving and promoting the WOT Services and our other services and products; or (b) where allowed under applicable law, the implied consent you provide by using the WOT Services or by contacting us in order to address a specific request.
WOT goes to great lengths, and invests substantial resources, to avoid disclosing Personal Information. This includes the use of various state-of-the art anonymization, data cleaning and aggregation techniques to identify and remove Personal Information from information we collect with the goal of storing only Non-Personal Information.
Sharing Collected Data with Third Parties:
Personal Information. We do not share your Personal Information or Non-Personal Information with third parties, except as follows:
● User-Generated Content: We share User-Generated Content provided by you with other WOT users through the WOT forums, for the purposes for which you provided it.
● Legal Requirement: Solely to the extent required to comply with applicable law, regulation, or the request of a governmental agency or authority.
● Protect Rights and Defense of Legal Claims: To the extent reasonably necessary to exercise our rights, to defend against legal claims or actions against us, or protect the safety, rights, or property of WOT or any third party.
● Research & Analytics: Your Non-Personal Information may be included as part of data products that we license to certain businesses for research, analytics and related purposes. This is done in order to support our operations and enable us to provide the WOT Services free of charge. Such data products will only include Non-Personal Information, and will not be licensed or shared with any third parties for the purposes of direct marketing or for any purpose involving the tracking, identifying or targeting of individual users. NOTE: WOT users may opt-out of the sharing of data collected from their use of our apps or extensions at any time by opening the WOT app or extension, going to the menu and changing the “Real-time Protection” option to “Off”. Once you have done so, your Non-Personal Information collected through your use of the app or extension will no longer be included in any of the data products we license. For more information, see the Opt-out Rights below.
Cookies & Third-Party Tools
Our website may use third party content (e.g. www.youtube.com), third party tools (e.g. www.google.com/analytics/), or embedded badges from social networks (e.g. www.facebook.com). These third parties may use and store their own Cookies on your device, which may collect information about you, including Personal Information, subject to their own privacy practices. These Cookies may collect information such as how often users access the WOT website, what pages users visit and when. For more information on third party Cookies, check with the relevant third party. For more information about the third party tools we use at any given time, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We use the information we receive from third parties such as Google Analytics to improve the WOT Services. We do not combine the information collected through the use of Google Analytics with any Personal Information that we collect from you. You may remove Cookies by following the instructions on your device for setting your preferences. Our Cookies do not enable any access to or inspection of other information on your computer. If you wish to be notified of when they are placed, you may set your web browser to provide such notices.
Do Not Track Disclosure
The WOT Services do not respond to Do Not Track signals. For more information about Do Not Track signals, please see http://www.allaboutdnt.com/.
Your Responsibility for User-Generated Content
Any User-Generated Content provided by you, including any of your Personal Information or third-party Personal Information contained therein (including comments, recommendations, images, or other content), may be subject to data protection, intellectual property and other laws and regulation, and you are fully and solely responsible for compliance with such laws and regulations with respect to such User-Generated Content. When including your Personal Information or Personal Information of others in any User-Generated Content provided by you, we require that you exercise due care and assume full responsibility for the disclosure and use of such information and for protecting the rights of such third parties. You acknowledge and, where relevant, agree that we may monitor the User-Generated Content and may remove any parts thereof at our sole discretion.
Data Transfers, Storage and Security
We will take the necessary steps to ensure that any international transfers of Personal Information meet all statutory requirements under applicable data protection law. In particular, when Personal Information collected within the European Economic Area ("EEA") is transferred outside the EEA, we will take the necessary steps to ensure that the transfer of such information provides adequate safeguards, and you may exercise your rights (where applicable) to receive information on the relevant transfer mechanism.
While there are inherent risks involved in all data transmissions over the Internet or wireless networks, and other security risks that apply to stored data, and we therefore cannot guarantee the security of your information, we use our best efforts, using industry-standard encryption and security technologies and methods, to collect and store information collected from you in a secure and safe manner.
Where foreseen under applicable law, as is the case within the European Union, you may have the right to ask us to delete Personal Information which you have provided to us (subject to applicable exceptions, such as in order to preserve that information for anticipated litigation or demands from a regulator) or some or all of the following additional rights: the right to obtain information on our use of your Personal Information, the right to obtain a copy thereof, the right to data portability, the right of data rectification, the right to object to the processing of data based on our legitimate interests, the right to restriction of the processing, and the right to withdraw your consent.
In relation to these rights, please contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com. Note that we may request certain information in order to confirm your identity, and we reserve the right to charge a fee where permitted by law, such as in circumstances where your request is excessive. We will use our best efforts to respond to your request within applicable required timeframes.In addition, you may (subject to applicable law, as is the case within the European Union) have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
Note that you may opt out of the data collection and sharing of Non-Personal Information described above as follows: change the options selected in the “Settings” menu, so that the “Real-time Protection” option is set to “Off”.
After you opt out, we will no longer automatically collect and share your Non-Personal data in connection with your use of the WOT app or extension.
We may send periodic promotional and informational emails to you, about the WOT Services and other products, services or information we think may interest you. You may opt out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that it may take up to ten (10) business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt out of receiving promotional and informational emails from us, we may still send you emails about your account or any WOT Services you have requested or received from us.
Updates & Revisions
We welcome and value your input. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to contact us at: email@example.com