After selecting some words on a page, a small popup box will appear with multiple search engines. Press one and you'll search for the selected text using that engine! Google, YouTube, Maps, Amazon... you name it.
If you prefer the right-click menu, SSS has also got you covered with context search. Or you can disable the popup itself and leave only the context menu. Your choice. :)
SSS is very configurable. Open your installed add-ons and access the "Swift Selection Search" options page to see all the settings. Remember to follow the short instructions at the top!
You can add new search engines for the popup and context search, change the appearance of the icons, what happens when you click them, when/where the popup appears, whether to auto copy text on selection, etc.
If you find a problem, please read the "Troubleshooting" part of the "Instructions" section (in the SSS options page). If the problem isn't covered there (or if you have a suggestion), you can report it to the issues page:
For questions, please contact me at email@example.com ("+sss" is really part of the address).
SSS is an open source and free-time project made by Daniel Lobo (that's me) and with the collaboration of awesome people on my GitHub. ;)
SSS requires permission to "Access your data for all websites", but this is simply to fix a problem that caused the popup to not work in pages that use frames.
It also needs permission to read/write downloads to be able to import/export your settings in the options page if you wish.
Rest assured that SSS does not otherwise read or modify your files, does not care about what sites you use, and does not send your data anywhere. (Well, if you ask it, it can backup settings to Firefox Sync!)
Report this add-on for abuse
If you think this add-on violates Mozilla's add-on policies or has security or privacy issues, please report these issues to Mozilla using this form.
Please don't use this form to report bugs or request add-on features; this report will be sent to Mozilla and not to the add-on developer.
The developer of this extension asks that you help support its continued development by making a small contribution.
This add-on can:
- Access your data for all websites
- Input data to the clipboard
- Access browser activity during navigation
- Add-on Links
- 297.19 KB
- Last updated
- 9 days ago (Feb 8, 2020)
- MIT/X11 License
- Version History
- Added support for Windows-1251 encoding (used by some Cyrillic websites).
- The popup’s text field now receives focus after using the “Shortcut to open popup”.
- Pressing enter with the text field focused now searches using the first user-defined search engine (in a new background tab, just like Ctrl+Click).
- Escape key now always closes the popup, regardless of focus on the text field.
- Line endings and consecutive spaces are now automatically replaced with single spaces in the selected text (except for clipboard copying, which copies the original text).
- Fixed custom CSS being used even if "Use custom CSS formatting" was disabled.
- Fixed "jittery" icons on hover when using negative icon padding values (minimum paddings are now enforced).
- Minor improvements to options page.