LanguageTool is a software for text checking. For this purpose, your texts are transmitted from the browser to our servers via an encrypted connection. On this page we describe what data we store.
Personal data is processed in accordance with the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the German Federal Data Protection Act (BDSG 2018).
You can find our contact information at https://languagetool.org/legal/.
Your texts sent for review will not be stored, with the following exceptions:
* If you explicitly provide feedback, e.g. about false positives or unrecognized errors, we store this feedback.
* If you accept correction suggestions for a typo, we save the original word and the correction you chose.
* When you accept correction suggestions or turn off/ignore rules, we store the internal ID of that rule.
* In the very rare case of an internal software error, we store the sentence that triggered the error so we can find the cause and fix the error.
In all these cases, we do not store your full IP address, nor any other information that would allow us to identify you. Since we can no longer assign your data to you, it is also not possible to specifically delete your data again.
In order to improve our offer, we store the following information:
* Date and time, length of text, language of text, duration of processing, number of errors detected (but not the erroneous text, unless you have agreed to this),
* Internal errors (for example, if the add-on cannot access the text to be checked),
* Only if you have the add-on uninstalled, the number of times the add-on has been used and the URL of the page where the add-on was last used are transmitted.
* Only if you have an account on languagetool.org and if you are logged into the add-on with this account: The add-on periodically (about once a day) contacts our servers to let us know that you are an active user. This includes your browser (Firefox/Chrome/...) and your email address (which we already know because you already have an account on our system), but not the text you wrote.
None of this information can be used to identify you.
In our log files, your IP address is stored in a shortened form (like 192.168.xxx.xxx), so it cannot be used to identify you. Error messages, such as when the request limit is exceeded, are stored for up to 48 hours with the full IP address so that we can take action against abuse.
You have the right to request information free of charge about the personal data that has been stored about you.
If you believe that the processing of your personal data is unlawful, you have the right to complain to a supervisory authority.
Our extension uses Piwik/Matomo, a web analytics service. Matomo uses so-called "cookies", which are text files that are stored on your computer and allow us to analyze the use of the extension. For this purpose, the usage information generated by the cookie (including your shortened IP address) is transmitted to our server and stored for usage analysis purposes, which serves to optimize the extension on our part. Your IP address is immediately anonymized during this process, so that you as a user remain anonymous to us.