Nice helper for memory leak hunting Waardering 5 van 5 sterren
This extension got a lot better in the current version, getting an overview is easier and it can handle large amounts of data without hanging up the browser. Also, the JSON-based log is easier to read and also easier to process with scripts than the old format. There are some minor issues left which will hopefully be resolved in future releases:
* Pagination isn't the best way to display large amounts of data. Something like SlickGrid with its virtual rendering would have been nicer.
* The display of edges and owners is still suboptimal - when you expand the list you get no useful information at all. Typically, when you expand the individual item the additional information isn't useful either. Only after expanding the "to" property you get something useful. Giving a proper overview immediately after expanding edges shouldn't be impossible.
* A way to select a particular subtree would be nice - e.g. all direct and indirect owners of an entry and all direct and indirect edges.
* Seeing the memory use of the objects would be nice as well but that information unfortunately isn't exposed by Gecko (and probably cannot be exposed).
* Saving a large log (e.g. when "Trace all" is enabled) hangs up the browser. Fixing this is non-trivial however.
Nice extension but weaknesses on the analysis side Waardering 4 van 5 sterren
This extension has the potential to make memory leak hunting a lot simpler. It isn't quite there but the start is promising. Main problem is that you will typically get a very large set of data (thousands of objects) and are mostly left on your own exploring the structure of the graph. Issues:
* Displaying the roots is only possible when searching, not from the graph view however.
* The graph view cannot handle a large number of objects, expanding the graph with 30k objects takes a minute. What's even worse, expanding a single entry after that takes lots of time as well - it seems that the entire tree is being rebuilt.
* Generally, the tabular view as presented by the search seems to be superior to the default tree view - all the necessary information is presented at one glance without having to expand everything.
* The search is case-sensitive which is unexpected.
* The edges and owners display is suboptimal, it requires expanding two nodes to learn the name of an edge - it should be visible immediately when the edges are expanded.
* Flexible filtering options are required. In addition to the existing search and roots display it would be nice to see which objects are being held by a particular object (via direct or indirect references) as well as the actual chain between an object and its root.
RE: Nice extension but weaknesses on the analysis side
thanks for great feedback! Please try 0.4.1, I think I implemented all you mentioned. The only missing thing is the chain object->root I guess.