- Waardering: 5 van 5door konstischuetze, 5 jaar geledenIt some times shows up where it shouldn't, but much more often it saved me from tedious searches. This includes cases where a website was broken, gone or simply had a temporary downtime.
- Waardering: 5 van 5door Firefox-gebruiker 11913688, 6 jaar geledenThis WayBackMachine extension is nearly mandatory on the modern web. There are so many pages nowadays that have disappeared or changed that I find myself constantly having to look up archived copies. This extension saves me the tedium of repeatedly copying a URL, going to archive.org, then pasting it into the search box.
There are some downsides, but this is such a needed feature that I have to give it five stars.
Downside 1: this extension adds yet another button to my already cluttered toolbar. I'd much rather that it showed up in the context menu (right click) and could be bound to keyboard shortcuts.
Suggestion: Perhaps the next version could implement both interfaces, but allow either to be disabled in the preferences.
Downside 2: this only checks archive.org. While that is my preferred site, other extensions also have the ability to check cached versions from Google, Coral, and other search engines.
Downside 3a: While this extension's ability to automatically detect 404 (not found) errors is a nice feature, it doesn't seem to work everywhere (try youtube.com/thisurlreturns404).
Downside 3b: Even worse, some websites don't like returning 404, and instead return 301 (moved permanently) or 302 (redirect). For example, try ebay.com/notfound, which redirects the URL to pages.ebay.com/messages/page_not_found.html?abigbunchofgarbage and then returns 200 (success). On a site like that, if you then click WaybackMachine → Recent Version, you'll either be told "URL not found in wayback archives" or be shown an archived copy of the wrong page.
Suggestion: Perhaps a future version of this extension could make note of redirections and, when the WayBackMachine is used, the requested URLs would be tried in FIFO order (until one of them succeeds or they all fail).
Downside 4: If the lookup at archive.org fails, an error dialog will pop up with an annoying alert sound.
- Waardering: 5 van 5door U64, 6 jaar geledenA quite lovely addon. Not only does it help you find things that might have gotten lost (sites remove stuff, or shuffle it around, or edit them, or the sites just die), but it gives you a one-click way to archive whatever website you're visiting. Saves time and sanity.
- Waardering: 5 van 5door Firefox-gebruiker 12916690, 6 jaar geledenI am often digging around obscure websites and regularly run into 404's and even websites with expired domains. This addon helps automate an essential part of my research workflow.
- Waardering: 5 van 5door Firefox-gebruiker 5866884, 6 jaar geledenMr. Kahle this is add-on you designed HAS got to be at least one of your "pride & joys" technologically. I am looking forward to reviewing other add-on(s) that you kindly offer to share.
Thanks for helping me find what I was unable to prior.