- Waardering: 2 van 5door Firefox-gebruiker 17588622, 15 uur geledenIt's mostly good when it works, which has been most of the time. JDownloader and Open Video Downloader seem to cover its gaps fine.
I have a minor issue and a major issue, though, causing this two star review.
First, the minor issue is that the "support site"/"forums" is a Google Groups conversation, except that's been blocked (by Google?) with a "Banned content warning". "Video DownloadHelper Q&A has been identified as containing spam, malware, or other malicious content." So you guys are getting this ugly feedback/"bug report" here.
Second, the major issue, for whatever reason, I'm pretty sure this plugin has been causing me major, major memory management issues in Firefox, especially with Twitch open. Basically, I leave a Twitch stream open for several hours (let's say 4+), close the tab, and the entire browser locks up for up to a minute (non-responsive program). I experience similar issues opening some media tabs during long and heavy browsing sessions without closing the browser.
This has also caused GPU driver crashes (AMD and nVidia) + crashing Discord, Hydrus, Path of Exile, Windows Explorer. Your extension is doing this! I don't know if it's a combination with something else, but I think this is the cause. This has been going on for years, across three graphics cards (AMD 290X, nVidia 970, nVidia 3070). The newer GPUs have been more resilient but that's only treating a symptom.
I have checked my computer with multiple memory management apps looking for anything that stands out: Task Manager (Processes and Performance), Resource Monitor, ProcessExplorer, RAMMap, Poolmon. I found some minor oddities that I've done my best to address, but the problem wasn't fixed. No issue in Chrome (does not have Video DownloadHelper). I tested Firefox on a clean profile with no issue. I started a new Firefox profile, but manually restored many parts of my old profile (dirty restore) with all my old extensions and the problem came back. I turned off half my extensions including this one, and the problem went away (for a few blissful months). I've since turned on a few of those extensions separately with no issue. Last night I turned on this extension too, and the problem is finally back.
As of typing this, I have one Twitch tab open right now. This browser session has been going for 12-24 hours, let's say. I check Video DownloadHelper's button in the Twitch tab. VDH is showing me 40 things I can download. 40! Most are streams, but I've only visited maybe 5 channels this entire browsing session. VDH shows multiple quality options for streams with transcoding, as it should. Some of these options are from tabs I closed hours ago. Some streamer avatars are mismatched. This can't be right.
I'm going to turn off your extension now. If I'm wrong I'll delete this report. I'm so tired of this.
- Waardering: 1 van 5door Firefox-gebruiker 14484303, één dag geledentried to use it for couple weaks now, never even once managed to actually download anything, I mean yea I have a file it downloaded but its corruped/cant be opened.
The interface is confusing especially if you download their software.
- Waardering: 2 van 5door Firefox-gebruiker 14682139, 2 dagen geledenFirst I tried downloading a video to an mkv file. The download seemed to go okay until "aggregation", which had my old laptop on its knees (20% done after working all night).
Then I tried downloading an MP4. No conversion needed, so it should be great, right? NO SOUND.
Goodbye Video DownloadHelper!
- Waardering: 5 van 5door Firefox-gebruiker 17479964, 2 dagen geledenExcellent add-on to quickly download almost every video in an internet page. In Firefox it works even better! Well- deserved 5 stars!
- Waardering: 5 van 5door Firefox-gebruiker 14796897, 3 dagen geledenOne of the better video download extensions I've tried. The companion app is handy once it's set up. I like that I can queue up downloads while the program just tackles my preset amount at a time. This way I can keep the download speed per video high and my overall speed isn't throttled too badly. It's also caught onto videos that other downloaders miss. Great extension.