Tranquility is a FireFox extension that improves the readability of web articles.
Tranquility removes unnecessary elements in a webpage, and provides a simple and tranquil reading experience. Similar functionality is available through Readability or iReader. Tranquility attempts to solve the same problem using a different approach.To use tranquility you can:
- Click on the navigation-bar icon and the current web-page will be made readable OR
- Use Ctrl+Alt+T as a keyboard shortcut OR
- Right click on a link and choose "Tranquility!" from the context menu. A new tab will open the link in the Tranquility mode.
- Heavy users of Tranquility can enable the Pause/Break button as a single key shortcut
- Macintosh users are requested to use the Customizable Shortcuts addon to create their own customized keyboard shortcut
The navigation-bar button or the keyboard shortcut can be used to toggle back to the original web page. A drop down menu attached to the navigation-bar button provides easy access to the preferences window.Features:
License & Copyright:
- Compatible with NoScript
- Ability to customize default font, font-size, font color, background color, and width of the reading area
- Preliminary support for multi-page documents (where a print view or a single page view is provided)
- Additional support for multi-page articles. A navigation pane is provided at the top and bottom of the web page to navigate to the Next or Previous page or to a specific numbered page/link, if available
- Selected text can be queried in Wikipedia or Wiktionary through right click context menu options or using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Alt+W and Ctrl+Alt+D respectively. Click outside the Wiki panel to hide it. Non-English users can select the Wikipedia language of choice from the Preferences window from version 1.1.2.
- Ability to disable the background image from the preferences window
- Additional links are now available through a "More Links" button
- Tranquil Browsing Mode is enabled by default. In this mode, left clicking on a link in the Tranquility view will also open the link URL in the Tranquility view in the current tab. Ctrl+Left Click will open the link URL in the Tranquility view in a new tab
- If a web page has not completed loading fully, Tranquility will wait for it to complete loading before processing the document
- Tranquility informs you when a web page has very little text content and reverts back to the original web page view. You can always force Tranquility to proceed anyway and show you the Tranquility view
- If the Print or Single Page View does not return sufficient content Tranquility will now try to process the original page. This may help in some cases where the Print or Single Page View is available only to registered/premium users
- Users can now select the pruning strategy used by Tranquility in its attempt to get a readable web page. The default option is a Conservative pruning strategy. The Moderate and Aggressive pruning strategies may result in truncation of relevant/useful content depending on the structure of the web page
Tranquility is provided under GPLv3 license.
Copyright (C) 2012-13 Arun KunchithapathamFeedback:
Please send any feedback, bug reports, enhancement requests to "arunk" at "ushnisha" dot "com"Release Notes
are available via the support website listed