- Waardering: 4 van 5door Albirew, 3 maanden geledenWith the release of firefox that have it integrated, we lost all page translations of beta languages.
On another note, i'd love to see this addon on Thunderbird too.
- Waardering: 4 van 5door Firefox-gebruiker 17819191, 4 maanden geledenTranslation speed for entire websites is fast and seamless, but I wish it could work for more languages, especially Asian languages. Microsoft Edge's translation is currently functioning better, I hope Firefox can catch up quickly.
- Waardering: 4 van 5door D. Girardi, 5 maanden geledenI've always been an avid user of the To Google Translate Add-on, but it always bothered me that, despite the Add-on not collecting data, Google does. When I heard about this website translation on-device, I was eager to try it out. Here, I will compare both extensions in terms of their translation accuracy, user interface, translation speed, memory usage, and common issues.
First things first, it is important to highlight that while To Google Translate uses mainly American grammar, Firefox Translations seems to use British grammar. Both extensions perform well when translating texts from German, Portuguese, and Spanish into English, but they both struggle to correctly translate gendered nouns from these languages into English (e.g., "Mitarbeiter*innen" (DE), "funcionários(as)" (PT), "empleados/as" (ES), "employees" (EN)). Both extensions frequently fail to translate between languages other than English. While To Google Translate also struggles with abbreviations and acronyms, Firefox Translations handles them without a problem. To Google Translate tends to provide more literal translations, while Firefox Translations sometimes translates word by word, which is not a smart approach for languages like the ones I tested.
Both extensions have very simple user interfaces that are easy to use, allowing you to select a preferred source language to always be translated. However, Firefox Translations offers a more intuitive and clear interface, while To Google Translate provides options (which must be selected) to translate only a snippet of the page or to show the original text when hovering.
Firefox Translations can translate an entire website with a single click, but I believe that the loading time depends on your device's memory and the size of the page. With 16 GB of RAM, it takes less than a second to load a page with 20 paragraphs of text and a few menus. On the other hand, To Google Translate works on the text visible on your screen, which loads almost instantaneously.
Speaking of memory usage, it's well-known that Chromium-based browsers can be memory-intensive. After opening my browser and loading my homepage in German, memory consumption stabilized around 740 MB. Activating To Google Translate increased memory consumption to 780 MB. Performing the same procedure with Firefox Translations raised memory consumption to 1030 MB, which is understandable since it runs locally.
Both extensions face a similar issue with text formatting, such as removing bullet points and adding spaces before commas. To Google Translate also frequently fails to capitalize letters. While browsing one of my work websites, Firefox Translations deleted a menu both from the interface and the developer tools. This issue occurred only at said website.
Overall, I'm still using To Google Translate until Firefox Translations improves its sentence comprehension and stops deleting menus from websites crucial to my workflow. However, I find the slight time delay when using Firefox Translation to be acceptable considering the significant privacy benefit. I have high hopes for this add-on as it continues its beta testing.
- Waardering: 4 van 5door .go, 5 maanden geledenIt take a bit longer that other google translator backed addons but still happy to use Mozilla product.
On feature request though: Ability to translate only selected texts.
- Waardering: 4 van 5door BrunoFortunatto, 5 maanden geledenFuncionando muito bem no PC! Como faço para utilizá-la no Firefox Android? Tenho dificuldade para traduzir pelo Android e sempre tenho que abrir o Chrome.
- Waardering: 4 van 5door Karlos, 6 maanden geledenRating, Feedback & A thank you.
I like that it's a client side translation tool and was forward to such a tool.
At the moment the addon still seems to be bare bone with it's user interface.
- One simple suggestion I have: put the blue language switch button (<-> that appears when you mark some text right click and translate it with the addon) higher up in between the two selected languages. I couldn't tell what that button did until I clicked it and was not expecting it to switch the languages so I hope this small change would already make it more intuitive to use.
- Another thing I noticed with full page translation. I tried translating the chat of a twitch live stream. The addon translated all messages that were already loaded but new ones were left out. This would be a nice to have feature.
Else I would say the visuals of the user interface could use a bit of style but I understand if the focus lays on adding more languages atm.
Thank you and I hope the development of this addon is still pursued!
- Waardering: 4 van 5door BryanCatañedamejìa, 6 maanden geledenLa extensión funciona bastante bien, lo único malo es que la extensión falla al momento de cargar el motor de traducción en firefox para 32 bits, espero que mozilla solucione el error en el futuro
- Waardering: 4 van 5door Romain, 7 maanden geledenWorks well by doing its job. Translation don't have the level of Google'ones for example, so for some sentences it's still usefull to open a Lingva tab or another translation engine, but it quickly gives a good aspect of the text.
In term of usability, it's really good and super simple to use. And of course the fact that translations are done offline is a big plus for me !
- Waardering: 4 van 5door Firefox-gebruiker 17913732, 9 maanden geledenLA EXTENSIÓN ES BUENÍSIMA, pues proporciona traducción de modo totalmente privado sin que la información salga del dispositivo, y esto es ORO PURO teniendo en cuenta el actual sistema de cibervigilancia mundial en el que se ha convertido la web . La uso en mi ordenador moderno y en mi dispositivo móvil con Firefox Nightly. Si solo le doy 4 estrellas es exclusivamente porque no funciona en mi computadora antigua. Por lo demás LA RECOMIENDO A CUALQUIERA QUE DISPONGA DE UN DISPOSITIVO CAPAZ DE EJECUTARLA. Gracias miles al equipo que la elabora.
- Waardering: 4 van 5door ilya11, 9 maanden geledenPlease add automatic language detection for each element - this would be useful on sites where there may be multiple languages, such as Youtube. It would also be good to see in this extension a translation for selected text only