Total trackers in Ghostery v2.5.3: 518, total protected domain cookies (LSO): 345
Bug fixes in v2.5.3
- Added Firefox 4 customized button that could be dragged into any of the available toolbars.
- Fixed opening Ghostery Options page from Addon Manager.
- The number counts in all places (toolbar, options page, and update pages) is now based on the same number -- number of tracked applications.
- Applied same auto-update behavior to cookie lists as the bug lists -- if everything is selected for blocking, all new cookies will be blocked as well.
- Added upgrade migration script for 2.4+ upgrade to 2.5.3.
- Uninstall of Ghostery will now remove Ghostery folder artifacts from profile directory (unless user.db file had data).
Bug fixes in v2.5.2
- Blocking layer is now optimized to use simple string matching instead of regex when possible resulting in a faster blocking operation. This resolves issues with script not responding on larger pages.
- Re-introduced the Performance Options. While everything is on by default, user has ability to turn some of the more advanced features off speeding up Ghostery.
- Upgrade script from 2.4 branch to v2.5 for selected trackers.
- UI updates.
Bug fixes in v2.5.1
- Translation layer added in Ghostery v2.5 has caused some visual errors in the new options and blocking pages. This issue has been solved.
New features and changes in v2.5
- Added cookie protection that looks for cookie transactions (add & edit) and then compares it to the LSO domain list. If a protected LSO is encountered, Ghostery will deny any change and remove the cookie. This is added through a new "experimental" cookie protection checkbox in Ghostery Options. Denied cookies are listed in the block log.
- Options and blocking pages have been updated to use HTML instead of Firefox UI components (XUL) -- this gives us a more consistent look and feel across Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Additionally, this resolves the issue with displays being too small to see Save and Cancel buttons in Options.
- Added redirection tracking and blocking. This resolves some of the trackers from slipping in when a page issues a 3XX redirect.
- Added support for examining Flash (and other) sub-object requests. This allows the requests blocked but not found in DOM to be correctly reported.
- Whitelisting has been improved to include any potential frames of a whitelisted parent site. Relaxed whitelisting to be less strict: for example, whitelisting ghostery.com
will be applied to www.ghostery.com
- Groundwork is laid in for user created/maintained tracker lists. This functionality is included in v2.5 branch, tho the UI hasn't been implemented yet.