- Valutata 1 su 5di JZ, 8 mesi faVDH used to work fine, but now it just says "Companion App not installed". So I downloaded the .deb file (I'm on Ubuntu) and installed it. It puts the binary in /opt/net.downloadhelper.coapp/. But still it says "Companion App not installed". So how does it find the binary? It's supposed to look for a .json file, which the .deb file installs in /usr/lib/mozilla/native-messaging-hosts. But wait, Firefox is a 64-bit program, not a 32-bit one (we're in the 21-century now!) so it should be in /usr/lib64, not /usr/lib. So I make a symlink from the lib dir to the lib64 dir. Still doesn't work: "Companion App not installed." :-( I'm giving up since it's already taken a lot of time to discover these bugs. I suspect that it's a minor configuration problem that failed QC. It's probably simple, but it's enough to keep VDH from working at all.
- Valutata 1 su 5di Prizm, 8 mesi faPuts a WATERMARK on your video, but doesn't tell you until after it's done converting. And the converting takes a ridiculously long time because they're RE-ENCODING YOUR VIDEO to put their stupid QR code watermark on it!
- Valutata 1 su 5di genericusername997, 8 mesi faI don't know how VDH did it, but they retroactively put a bunch of watermarks over all the videos I downloaded. Probably their "companion app" ran in the background while I was doing something else, and re-encoded everything with a stupid QR code watermark. So now I have a few gigabytes of video with a QR code asking me to pay $16 to remove the QR code watermark. This is no better than ransomware, and if you're smart you'll avoid this app and report it for abuse.
It did used to be a 4.5* app, these changes are recent.
- Valutata 1 su 5di Utente Firefox 14253668, 8 mesi faMaybe it's me as I realize that my skills in this area may not be comprehensive enough to use this extension but I installed it with no problem. Then I tried it and it said I needed a companion app and gave me two options for that. I tried both options, even having to tweak my security settings to allow the .pkg file extension. Then it finally allowed me to choose the format/conversion except being a laymen there are so many options that seamed so similar like mp4 1mb vs mp4 2mb. So by one I tried the ones I recognized as to not overload/overburden my macbook or the server or whatever can get overloaded. None of the formats, not even one actually downloaded. I gave up, tried another similar extension. One click to download the extension, then one click to select the format then a third and final click to download the media. That's it! The other one worked. Maybe this extension is simply too sophisticated for my average/adequate skills. I'm assuming it's me but maybe this review will help developers think about us laymen when creating extensions in the future. Cheers!
- Valutata 1 su 5di SlidingHorn, 8 mesi faAllows you to download ONCE and then every video afterward will require you to install a third party application - even if you go to download the same video again, demonstrating that it's not just a certain type of video that requires the "companion application"
This screams malware.
- Valutata 1 su 5di Javi, 9 mesi faPara descargart cualquier video pide instalar una "aplicación auxiliar" sin esa aplicación auxiliar no se puede descargar ni reporducir nada. Buscaré otro complemento que realmente sirva.
- Valutata 1 su 5di LL, 9 mesi faDO NOT USE. Absolute scam. Requires you to install their software (could be a virus), took a long time to download, and then had a massive QR code in the corner... the only way to remove the code is to pay them. Use another addon or just use the online video downloaders.
- Valutata 1 su 5di Herwig, 9 mesi faSimply does not work.
After installation I tried to download a video from YT (a free video; no music; no film; etc.). DownloadHelper asked me to install a companion file. After some research and re-thinking I pressed the button and there was -- nothing. An error message appeared (from github) that there was no such a repository.
So, that's it for me: I uninstalled this add-on.