I swear I did a review for this add-on because I had some teething problems with it, during early development, and used it to communicate the issues with the developer. However, I cannot find it my list of reviewed add-ons.
Anyway, v2.4.5 of Korpus seems to work fine for me on FF 54.0.1 (32bit). Win 7 home premium.
It works exactly as I had hoped, though I agree the configuration process could be more user friendly.
The only problem I’ve found is a bizarre conflict between this add-on and the in-site search history on www.chainreactioncycles.com
This is 100% tested as I disabled this add-on solely and the in-site search history functionality returned (you could see previous searches but clicking on them would not populate the search).
Apart from that, it's great.
TIPS FOR NEW USERS:
- Make sure you have the curly brackets button on your toolbar (if not, find it through right-click “customize”)
- Click on the curly brackets button
- In the pop-up, you should see a name in bold – this is from the list below and is the currently selected reference source for a search.
- Choose a reference source from the list (click on it). This new source should become the new title in bold. It will say beneath this title what this source is currently set to do.
- Type in the search bar (below the bold title) what you want to do (e.g. French to Spanish, translate, dictionary, thesaurus, etc). Sources offer different options. Not all are available from one source. You must search through the sources for exactly what you want. “DictionaryCom” does translation, dictionary and thesaurus. Others might only offer translation options.
- Example1: “chambers dictionary” says “21st # 21st century dictionary” in the description but offers "thesaurus", if you type that.
- Example2: “bab.la” then type “French” – you should see the option to translate in that direction
- Example3: “DictionaryCom” then type “thesaurus” – you should see the option for that functionality.
- You MUST click on the action that you want in the list (to select it), so it’s in that ‘mode’. The new option should appear below the bold title. If not, try again.
- After choosing your source and action, just click on the curly brackets button to close the pop-up and confirm your choice.
- Highlight the word you want to look-up, translate, etc. Right-click and you should see options in the context menu “speak selection” and “search selection”. Pick one of those and you should get a nice pop-up with the required information. Sometimes, the pop-up doesn't retrieve anything. You might have a link to the search website in the pop-up though. Clicking on that then takes you to the website in question and passes your search to it.
- NOTE: I had a conflict between Korpus and menu wizard add-on. I could not see "speak selection" or "search selection" in the main context menu. I disabled menu wizard and tried a korpus word search. The Korpus context menu options appeared. You can then re-enable menu wizard add-on and all should be well :)
Please be a little patient with the configuration and you should find this add-on works very well. After some tweaking, it works perfectly for me, hence the 5 stars.
I didn't get to make it work. Firefox 54.0 (32 bit). Win 10.
it was working well for me in Windows7, now i've switched to Windows 10, the settings are easier to access but once the three buttons appear it will not bring any other popup (i'm trying to use almaany from english to arabic). the left text-to-speech button works, the middle button brings a list of websites, but the right one doesn't translate/define
I have installed this add-on on my macbook but I don't see any button or something else to use. Can u help me?
This addon is tested on firefox stable and nightly version, Win10 and Linux (but FF on any desktop OS must give the same result)
1) An icon (brackets) must display in the toolbar : this is a config section
2) How to display a search result (text or voice):
- Via a contextual menu (TTS, search definition) *optional*
- Via "s" + a mouse/touchpad selection, this trigger 3 *optional* icons/options (text-to-speach, change dictionary, display search result)
-Via a console <= free search or change dictionary
What is optional, sometimes you have to disable/enable Korpus or refresh your page for it to take effect.
Maybe in your case, you have to check if another addon prevents "Korpus" to do its job.
It really help to grasp the main meaning of a sentence or vocabulary. As there is no support section i say some word about developement here maybe developer see that. Settings lack some user friendly tools and i think if these feature be added it can be more handy and man can wait more time to fix other bugs. those features are: setting for looking up word or phrases by double clicking or pressing shortcut keys. also if it was possible to see to selectd mixed dictionary result in the same window it would be much more better. Thanks for your adds on.
Just click on the "?", this is the Korpus configuration section: select a word/phrase + your shortcut. Adding mixed dictionary results is not really my purpose right now ( each dictionary has its own rendering) if you are looking dictionaries/thesaurus in english, I suggest you to use memidex instead.
Thx for your suggestions
Ver. 2.0 — 2 Apr 2016
I haven't ever explored the many features of Korpus Lexical. I find it indispensible because of the one feature I first discovered: the text-to-speech component.
In fact, I didn't even know what plug-in or extension was providing the context-menu item "Speak Selection"... I thought it was the Google TTS extension I added long ago, but that gets in the way with a pop-up bubble, and the voice is hideous. Korpus provides a very, very advanced, professional, pleasant voice to read what I highlight on a browser page. It has one annoying bug in pronunciation (or else I've misconfigured something somewhere else), which I'll discuss with the developer.
I uninstalled it, thinking it was a scholarly citation facility, but I was wrong. When I found the TTS function gone, later, having forgotten just what I'd uninstalled, I had to find the cause. Now I know. And I'm keeping it.
Excellent work! I can't wait to explore other features.
With 1.9.8, I was receiving error messages when choosing "Speak Selection". This is no longer a problem. But where is the exceptionally good TTS voice that it used to use? It's now using something that sounds like Microsoft Anna. Did the extension always use my own default voice, or one of its own? It sure didn't sound like one of mine (Neospeech)!
And please, where can I find full documentation of the lexicographical features? They're certainly not self-evident.
AND ONE BIG REQUEST: A hot-key (e.g. "Spea&k Selection", displaying with the 'k' underlined) would make it possible to very quickly automate the activation of this feature. A configurable shortcut/hotkey (e.g. F11 or Ctrl-Alt-S, or whatever the user chooses) would be best of all!
Thanks for your remarks and suggestions:
a)TTS with Korpus use voices from functionality from google translate (or ispeech, reverso). e.g if you choose google translate then german it will translate auto -> german or "TTS" with a german voice.
b) shortcuts: just click on "?" , a new window will open: this is the Korpus configuration section.
Korpus is still rough around the edges but has potential. Oh and I need to know how to report problems as there appears to be no "support section" to log issues to. Happy to increase the rating when improved! I had problems with the alignment of the search dialog in ff43.0.3 Win10 it would get clipped in maximised screen mode! Could do with some improved documentation as it took me a while to find the "adequate" key!
works again. bug from 1.9.5 is fixed. Thanks man!
3 Stars for potential.
FF 40 (on Win7) it shows as a blank pop-up.
The 'console' shows in the wrong place.
The rest of thew interface seems to work, but blank is not useful...
Hi, I really like this add on, works great, just one question how do i change the language, i tried to use almaany dictionary on arabic word but its translating into french, i need english, thanks for the help
i can see a typing box "language pair", i tried typing #english and -- eng but i can't change the "-- fr #french" on top
thanks for the quick update. it works now, it is searching as I type so when i typed "en" "english" came up and after clicking that the language pair was successfully changed.
my firefox is 42.0, ive gone through and tried most of the dictionaries, most of them are working (especially ones with "dictionary" in the name), some give a 'blank' box - im guessing its because the word definition isn't available or that dictionary doesn't translate the selected language, so for anyone experiencing blank box try different words/languages and change the language pair to make it work
F8 and F9 keyboard shortcuts don't work for me (Firefox 34)
I Love this Addon(v1.6.3).
Only problem is that I cannot switch between dictionaries in Firefox 30.No drop down is displayed when I click on the dictionary icon in the browser tool-bar.
tool bar icon looks like this
I really appreciate this add-on but today I've installed the new firefox 29 and it works at the begining but now it look like this : http://oi62.tinypic.com/w7zk82.jpg
And It's not usable anymore...
Please make an update. Thanks in advance
Because of the new firefox skin, width allocated to the widget/toolbar seems too small
I already fixed it in V1.6.3 regardless of the plateform used,
Should be released by firefox soon.
Meanwhile you can download it here;
Very nice addon and very nice concept. But I had to uninstall it. I'll reinstall it for sure, yes, yes, yes... but ONLY when "F9" (or any other Fx) will be replaced (or completed) by a command in the context menu. Not before.
Done, should be released by firefox by the end of the week