- What Are Background Themes?
- What kind of computers and operating systems do Background Themes work with?
- What's the difference between Background Themes and Complete Themes?
- How do I change my current Background Theme?
- If I have a Complete Theme installed, will Background Themes still work?
- How do I undo a Background Theme?
- How do I provide feedback?
- Can I create my own Background Theme?
- Are there any content guidelines?
- Do I still retain ownership over artwork that I upload?
- After creating a Background Theme, can I edit the design?
- What's the maximum file size allowable for my Background Theme?
Introducing Background Themes
What are Background Themes?
Background themes are easy-to-install, easy-to-use skins that change the look of your Firefox web browser. There are hundreds of thousands community-designed themes to choose from, with more added every day. Start looking here for designs that fit your style.
What kind of computers and operating systems do Background Themes work with?
Background Themes work with any type of computer that has Firefox installed. This includes Mac, Linux, Windows, and Android platforms.
What's the difference between Background Themes and Complete Themes?
Complete Themes transform the look of your browser with styles for the window frame, address bar, buttons, tabs, and menus.
Background Themes change just the header and footer areas of your browser. You can instantly preview a design and install it in one click without needing to restart.
Installing Background Themes
How do I add Background Themes to my Firefox?
In just a few seconds, you can install a theme and transform the look of your Firefox web browser. Preview any theme by simply mousing over it; the design appears in your browser header so you can "try it on." When you're ready, just click the green
Add to Firefoxbutton. Once a theme is installed, it is saved in the Add-ons Manager, where you can enable or disable them as you wish. Simply go to the
Add-onsmenu and click on the
Are Background Themes free?
Yes. Themes are free to download and free to use.
Using Background Themes
How do I change my current Background Theme?
There are two easy ways to change your theme. You can either:
- Visit the gallery, choose your favorite theme, and click on your choice to instantly change the look of your browser.
Once a theme is installed, it is saved in the Add-ons Manager, where you can enable or disable them as you wish. Simply go to the
Add-onsmenu and click on the
If I have a Complete Theme installed, will Background Themes still work?
Yes. If you have a non-default Complete Theme installed, Firefox will automatically switch to a default theme in order to allow you to use your choice of Background Theme designs.
How do I undo a Background Theme?
To undo the design you most recently selected, go to
Add-onsin the menu bar and select the
Appearancetab. Next to the theme you want to undo, click the
How do I provide feedback?
We're always looking for ways to improve themes, and would love to hear what you think. Visit the themes forum to send us your feedback.
Creating Your Own Themes
Can I create my own Theme?
Absolutely! All you need to do is create two graphics files in your favorite graphics editing program (e.g., Photoshop). To get started read more about how to create a theme.
Are there any content guidelines?
Yes. We are big fans of creativity, but want to ensure that the art displayed in the Themes gallery meets a basic set of guidelines. Please review the Terms of Service for authoritative and complete language, but the following gives you an overview of the requirements:
- You either own all the elements of your design OR you are authorized worldwide to reproduce and distribute them (and allow others to do so) by the owner or the law.
- Your design does not contain sexually explicit or offensive content.
- Your design does not include identifiable elements of any non-celebrity person(s) other than yourself or individuals who have given you permission to do so.
- Your design does not depict violence or Nazi imagery, nor is it discriminatory or hateful.
- Your design does not relate to gambling.
Your design does not violate any applicable law or regulation or the rights of any person or entity.
Also, note that your design needs to be suitable for the Background Themes format (see guidelines), of usable quality, and not duplicative of a prior submission. Finally, while Mozilla does provide guidelines for submissions, Mozilla retains the discretion to reject or remove designs for any reason. In some cases, this is necessary for legal reasons, but it also allows us to maintain the integrity of the site.
Do I still retain ownership over artwork that I upload?
Yes. Your artwork will always be your artwork.
After creating a Background Theme, can I edit the design?
Yes. If at any point you need to edit or delete your theme design after it has been submitted to the gallery, you can access it from the Submissions dashboard. From there, you can view your current designs. By clicking on each, you can make changes to each design's settings.
What's the maximum file size allowable for my Background Theme?
The theme you upload may not exceed 300 KB for the header or the footer image.
Couldn't find the answer you're looking for? Consider visiting the Firefox support website for more help.