- Cross filter AND searches.
- Textfilter OR and NOT term searches: use a pipe | for OR and a hyphen - preceding a term for NOT.
- Multiple textfilter selection with AND or OR searches: secondary selected textfilters are preceded by a toggleable + or | button.
- Inverted filtering: right click a Filter button to invert (find all NOT Starred, eg).
- Additional textfilter buttons: adds searches for To, Cc, and All Addresses (From, To, Cc, or Bcc).
- Hilighter: finds all Body terms in the message and can be used to find-in-page (both messages and feed web pages) when no textfilters are active.
- Toolbar customization: all buttons and bars are fully moveable/removeable; any other button or item may be added to the QuickFilter Toolbar via the Customize... dialog.
- Keyboard support: all buttons and elements contain tabstops, and toggling is performed by <enter>; use ctrl-enter to invert or negate tag/term buttons (like a right click).
- Full width: the toolbar is usable with the Vertical layout (and Stacked, available in the MoreLayouts extension).
- Bug fixes: over 30 Thunderbird bugs fixed or made obsolete; see Developer's Comments.
- Info Button: contains a guide with more details; please read the guide.
- Settings are found in: Options|Preferences->Display->QuickFilter.
- Quickly filter by Sender or Recipients or Subject: select a message and use the QuickFilter Button menulist.
- Quickly filter by email: select a message and use the context button for an email in the headers.
- Quickly filter by selected text: select a message and select some text (in headers or the message body). Use the context menu, or shift-A (add selected text to the filter textbox) or shift-R (replace textbox with selected text); the current filter criteria will be used.
- Keyinput start search delay: configure it!
- Toggle QuickFilterBar: ctrl-shift-K is now a toggle.
- Adds a secondary Quick Filter toolbar (optional) for narrow screens. Use Customize... to move quickfilter items (or anything else) to the extra toolbar. The secondary toolbar will open/close along with the primary via the usual methods.
NOTE: Uninstall QuickFilterToolbar if installing TotalQuickFilter.
NOTE: The toolbar and buttons appearance has been tested with winXP, win7, and linux. The macOS appearance likely would greatly benefit from some css design help for that platform.
NOTE: The core search function has known bugs and can return false positives. A message may match the search but there will be nothing visible to hilight. Verify this by viewing the source (Ctrl-U); the word may be there. If not, a second type of error selects a message if a match is found in the following message's header.
Comments and Questions: TotalQuickFilter forum.
Bug fixes in TotalQuickFilter v2.0
- 63573 have a google-like "search engine like" interface for searching mail news
- 240454 Add AND / OR searching to quick search
- 349085 Can't search on negative terms in Thunderbird's Quick Filter box with NOT or minus
- 381258 Quick Search: "Message Body filter" fails for Newsgroups. Body search should be disabled if not offline.
- 550832 Add "Filter for messages involving <contact>" command to email address context menu (message header pane)
- 561328 "Searching..." from status bar doesn't disappear after search (quick filter bar) is completed on a virtual folder (saved search folder)
- 570313 With tags quickfilter on, removing a word filter sometimes makes the secondary filter bar disappear in spite of "tags" matches
- 573325 After using quickfilterbar, status bar wrongly shows "Searching..." forever (should show "X matches found" or "No matches found" instead)
- 573496 secondary quickfilter modification bar: Implement tab stop and/or keyboard accelerators for filter buttons (sender, recipients, subject, body currently inaccessible)
- 575313 Labels on QuickFilter buttons should be togglable
- 575355 Quickfilter toolbar buttons/items should be movable to other toolbars (e.g. main toolbar) via Customize...
- 585669 stretch quickfind bar over message list and preview in vertical view
- 586131 Quickfilter bar has lost OR functionality using | (Pipe character)
- 587476 Allow Quick Filter Bar Customization as a Toolbar
- 592248 Quick Filter Bar is too wide, when in Vertical View --> Search Text Field is very small
- 612800 Not all tags displayed when switch between unread and not on quick filter bar (tag bar doesn't refresh on condition changes)
- 616933 [Quick Filter bar] Toggle quick bar hide text (layout change from text + icons to only icons)
- 635622 Quick Filter bar capability to select on ONLY the one chosen criteria (Shift+Click?)
- 672074 cancel button in the quicksearch bar textbox disappeared
- 683809 Quick Filter: untagged messages
- 744365 Quickfilter: inverse selection (thus inverse filter)
- 765637 Selecting multiple tags in quickfilter/view-button-menu should allow AND-operation [[port/modify from Tb23]]
- 784097 after deleting session.json, previously hidden quickfilterbar is shown, but according to menu state (View > toolbars > qfb) it is not shown (unchecked)
- 788084 Quickfilter: "Filter messages by" selectors should be available *before* filtering (Sender, Recipients, Subject, Body)
Bug fixes in TotalQuickFilter v3.0
- 319540 Quicksearch from mail (without typing)
- 345366 After using quicksearch filter (e.g. message body), status bar doesn't display "X matches found" any more (number of search results) *matches always shown by textbox
- 359684 Highlight search phrase in "Message body filter" search results
- 570339 Quickfilterbar: when adding body filter after no matches, no-matches-tooltip stays though there are new matches (and "Continue this search across all folders" behaviour, too)
- 587478 More intuitive way to close the Quick Filter Toolbar
- 638845 Message Reader: Implement right-click context menu "(TB-)Quickfilter for [selected text]" (for selected text in message reader or header)
- 714340 hide the words "quick filter" from the quick filter bar when in icon mode
- 944942 Quick Filter Bar search delay should be longer or configurable (premature search on unfinished word takes long in big folders)
Bonus core fix to always persist user set QuickFilterBar state
- 894793 Many open message tabs are gone after a crash or restart of Thunderbird