- Noté 1 sur 5par Gaia, il y a 8 moisTotally did not understand how the heck this should work. The add-on shows that there's a video running, I click for the subs, nothing happens. Repeated again and again and again, still nothing happened. Basically useless.
- Noté 1 sur 5par Utilisateur ou utilisatrice 17794830 de Firefox, il y a 9 moisWhen i pick to upload my own subtitles, they always flicker. I want to use downloaded Japanese subtitles but the flickering is too bad. I'll update the review if tell me how to fix this.
- Noté 1 sur 5par KGBEER, il y a 2 ansInteresting enough this addon is promoted as the following.
- Substital is passive by default and won't inject anything in the pages you visit. Only YOU decide when to add subtitles to a video.
Developer says, "it WON'T INJECT ANYTHING in the pages you visit"
but here he states the EXACTLY OPPOSiTE twice.
.......No, Substital cannot work with only the activeTab permission. The reasons is that WE INJECT ELEMENTS IN THE PAGE that need broader permissions to be able to work, like for example the area where users can search for subtitles.
FIREFOX ADDON STAFF also states the following.
This add-on is not actively monitored for security by Mozilla. Make sure you trust it before installing.
And the developer wriote the following.
Hey! No creepy stuff under the hood :) Substital for Firefox was manually reviewed multiple times by persons from the Mozilla Firefox Add-ons team. It's a pre-requisite to be published here in the store. If there would be creepy stuff under the hood, it would not be published.
To anyone who understand just a little bit of technology it is clear that this addon may had many changes in his code since its publishing which may or may not include any unwilling code behind.
Currently it's given permissions to access any page opened or maybe stored in your browser, not just the tab with the video opened.
Not forgetting the contracdition in developers words of not injecting anything in the page(as stated above it may include any page in your browser)
So be careful if you want to use it.Hi! We understand your concern, and it's a very valid one. Unfortunately we need these permissions for Substital to work properly. But as we move to Manifest V3, we would like to find ways to not need these permissions anymore. Moreover, as I said in other replies, a lot of popular browser extensions are also using the same permission as Substital:
AdBlocker Ultimate: Access your data for all websites
Grammarly: Access your data for all websites
LastPass Password Manager: Access your data for all websites
uBlock Origin: Access your data for all websites
To be noted: those extensions even require a lot more permissions than Substital for example. Some extensions can be complex and unfortunately those permissions are required.
To clarify, we inject Substital (elements in the page to detect the videos, to choose and load subtitles, to modify subtitles settings etc.) only when the user interacts with the Substital extension icon on the top right of the browser, unlike other extensions where scripts are automatically injected in the pages without any user interaction, or without the user even knowing. This is what we meant by "Substital is passive by default...".
As for the notes about the monitoring by Mozilla; for each new update, it is required for us to provide and upload the entire source code. The Mozilla team has always access to the entire source code of the extension. The source must be clear, readable, and nothing must be minified or hidden. And they DO monitor it, as we sometimes have to fix some issues they find.
There's absolutely no way to hide anything in the extension from the Mozilla team. The way the process works is that they build the extension on their side using the entire source code we provided to them, and they compare it with the packaged extension we submitted to the store. If it differs even by a tiny bit, they would reach out to us.
I hope I answered your interrogation. And happy to answer any question you may have :)
- Noté 1 sur 5par Drini, il y a 2 ansThe permissions for this app look too broad; you only need activeTab permissions, not access to every website. I can only assume this app is doing something creepy under the hood.
For proof these permissions aren't needed, here's an extension that does the same sort of thing: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/plussub/ . It's not as polished, but the core experience is the same, and it doesn't request all these permissions.Hey! No creepy stuff under the hood :) Substital for Firefox was manually reviewed multiple times by persons from the Mozilla Firefox Add-ons team. It's a pre-requisite to be published here in the store. If there would be creepy stuff under the hood, it would not be published.
About the permissions, we're happy to clear that out for you. The other extension you mentioned is different in many ways. It does not work the same way as Substital and does not have the features that Substital provides. (as you said, it's not that polished). No, Substital cannot work with only the activeTab permission. The reasons is that we inject elements in the page that need broader permissions to be able to work, like for example the area where users can search for subtitles.
To be noted, other popular extensions such as AdBlock or Grammarly also use broader permissions such as "Access your data for all websites".
Hope that helps! :) We plan to add soon a better detailed description why these permissions are needed. Thanks for your feedback!
- Noté 1 sur 5par StinkyAnchovy, il y a 2 ansThis add-on creates a "double screen" on voe . sx and simply stops the video from loading on dood . watch. The times I got it to work on another website, it was great but these two are my go-to websites so I can't rate this add-on 5 stars.
- Noté 1 sur 5par Utilisateur ou utilisatrice 14465991 de Firefox, il y a 5 ansDoes not work for Netflix. I can choose subtitles, but then i cant even close the window so i have to reload the page. I cant upload subtitles too.
Réponse du développeurmis en ligne : il y a 5 ansHello, sorry for the inconvenience. A new update was just released and it now supports well the new user interface of Netflix! Please let me know if you still have problems with it.