Rated 4,8 out of 5
4,8 Stars out of 5
- by Rugball, duela 6 hilabeteRated 5 out of 5Great features, great customisations !
Finally a good replacement for the "smartest search" app ; I was orphan when it was over years ago...
The only thing, may be, is that it's not possible to custom the icon itself (to choose an image from an url) ; for example, I've got 2 search requests for Google Maps and the second one has got the icon of Google Search not Google Maps. May be tunable with the option "Use custom CSS formatting (experimental)" ?
Developer responseposted duela 5 hilabeteHey there and thanks for the review! :)
Usually you just have to change the "icon URL" to the image that you want. Did changing the icon URL not work? For example, you can use this for the new Google Maps logo:
By default SSS uses the faviconkit website, and they seem to have a Google Maps icon that is the same as the main Google one.
Please let me know if something else is wrong via email or the Github issues page. (Unfortunately I may not be notified of updates to these reviews.)
- by Perch, duela 6 hilabeteRated 5 out of 5Will the Google translation need to configure manually to auto detect language to what ever your language there no option todo that but little bit tweaking on the url (#pl to #auto) (your language en (english) to what ever you like) then the google translate is now work perfectly.
Developer responseposted duela 5 hilabeteHi! Based on your review I actually tweaked the default Google Translate engine for the next update. It now uses the "auto" parameter and translates to english, instead of my previous example. ;) You won't see this change (unless you reset the engines) since you've already customized things to your liking, but new users will get a more useful engine, so thanks!
- by prempatel8, duela 6 hilabeteRated 5 out of 5Tip - if you want to remove the shortcuts associated with this extension remove them from it's Options page and from the Firefox Manage Extension Shortcuts page.
Developer responseposted duela 6 hilabeteUPDATE: Very happy that you solved this! :) Thanks for the review!
For other users: changing the shortcuts from Firefox's "Manage Extension Shortcuts" menu doesn't work for SSS right now, so you must use the addon options page. That's because.....I didn't know that that menu existed!
I'll try to deal with this in the future.
- by Ftfk, duela 6 hilabeteRated 5 out of 5edit: my "request" was actually already a built-in feature.. nothing else to add, this is a great add-on.
This should be a default feat of firefox, very useful.
One request : I've like 5 languages translation from google translate, all appear with the same icon. The half second wait (x4) for the name of the shortcut to appear when hovering with the mouse is too long...
It would be nice to customize the icon, or add a caption. All could be saved with the "export" feat.
Thanks for this app
Developer responseposted duela 6 hilabeteHi there! Thanks a lot for the review. :)
You can already customize the icon URLs however you want. ;) Simply replace the default icon URL with a link to any image on the web and SSS will download it, resize it to a small size, and save it as data, so it doesn't have to download it again.
I hope this helps!
- by Firefox user 13441984, duela 7 hilabeteRated 5 out of 5I would like to see more search engines to select from. Adding new one isnt as easy as I woud wish. (Just like bing, DuckDuckGo etc.) They could be turned off by default tho. But anyway it saves me few seconds of ctrlc/ctrlv :D
Edit: Is is possible to poen search in new tab by default? I cant find it.. settings for this addon are confusing tbh
Developer responseposted duela 7 hilabeteI understand and will think about this. ;) The problem with adding more engines by default is "where do I stop?", but yeah, Bing and DuckDuckGo are common enough that they could be in SSS by default.
Thanks for the review! :)
- by Firefox user 15733498, duela 8 hilabeteRated 4 out of 5Awesome add-on, huge customization facility, quite easy to handle! Fantastic!
BUT: Unfortunately, it seems not to work in Firefox' reader view. Even after i pressed the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+Space), SSS did not give any sign of live. But when viewing the same website outside reader view, SSS worked fine.
I often use reader view and would like to use SSS combined with it, e.g. to search expressions from a complex article in a dictionary. Could you please let me know if there is a way to use SSS inside reader view? Thanks :-)
Developer responseposted duela 7 hilabeteHello and thanks! :)
Sadly, there's nothing SSS can do in the reader view. This is an issue in Firefox itself, since it doesn't allow extensions to add content to the reader view (the issue is tracked here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1371786 and in my own issues page here: https://github.com/CanisLupus/swift-selection-search/issues/144).
It seems we'll have to wait! :(