- por andario2007, el hace 4 añosSe valoró con 5 de 5FINAL UPDATE: The problem described below has been just FIXED by Mr. Cool Developer here. It was related to the right clicking bound to my mouse gestures. If you have the same problem, just untick the new "Hide popup on right click" option. Cheers!
UPDATE: Thanks man, but I have the "Hide popup..." option deactivated since day one, and that works ONLY if I don´t leave the tab I´m doing my search from.
My problem lies whenever I go back to that original tab (after not being able to find what I´m searching for in the background tabs), so the text stays selected, but the pop-up is NOT activated, which forces me to reselect the text which is already selected for the pop-up to reappear. Pretty inconvenient, TBH.
Can´t you give us an option so the pop-up stays always open, even after we leave the original tab? (The only option I see to use the Ctrl+Shift+Space "shortcut", which is still far worse than just have it opened to begin with...)
I already gave you a glowing review in the past, so I won´t repeat myself... ;)
However, there´s just ONE problem with your addon that keeps bugging me time and again: I use the pop-up menu to search for things, and I always open them up in the background. Many times, though, I cannot find what I´m searching for just by using the most common search-engines, so I have to go back to the original tab to try different ones, where I ONLY have the original text selected, NOT the pop-up. As such, I´m forced to either right-click and search for other alternative search engines using the scrolling menu (which is highly inconvenient, compared to the pop-up menu) or I have to manually reselect the whole text for the pop-up to reappear, which is pretty inconvenient, compared to just clicking different icons.
As such, I'd really like you to consider the possibility of giving us an option to have the pop-up menu to STAY OPEN even after we go back to the other original tab, otherwise, the whole user-friendly approach of having a pop-up menu goes down the drain whenever we have to go back to the aforementioned original tab.
Thanks!UPDATE: Hey! That's interesting... On my end, if I have the option off like you do, I can go to another tab and back and the popup will stay open. In fact, the only things that are supposed to close the popup are that option, scrolling (another option that can be disabled) and clicking elsewhere in the page. Switching tabs by itself shouldn't close the popup.
Can you try disabling other extensions and see if the problem still happens? If it still does, it may be a bug in SSS that is triggered by some combination of options that I'm not seeing.
If it is a bug, the best way to try and solve this would be to post an issue here: https://github.com/CanisLupus/swift-selection-search/issues or, if you'd prefer, reach me via firstname.lastname@example.org. With both of these I get notified. Unfortunately these reviews have somewhat inconsistent notifications. :)
Hello! Thank you for sticking with SSS ;)
If I understood the issue correctly, you should be able to fix it by deactivating the option that says "Hide popup on search engine click". With it off, the popup will stay open even after clicking the engines to search, and will stay open when you return to the tab. :) You can also force it to stay if you scroll the page, using the option above that one.
If this does not work or if I understood the problem incorrectly please write me again.
By the way, none of your previous suggestions were forgotten (I do have a list with everything, besides the "issues" page on GitHub), but I can't promise anything. ;)
- por suqin, el hace 4 añosSe valoró con 5 de 5it is a good extention, but i got some problem, it always open in this tab when i click the context menu, and even i change the setting it still 'open in this tab' could you fix it?
oh, yes , Sorry , now it works good, my badUPDATE: No problem! Glad we could sort it out! :)
Hey there! :) Hmm, that is strange... I just tried "Context menu item click behaviour" with all possible settings and the context menu seems to respect them.
Could it be that you are changing the left/middle mouse behaviour in the "Popup behaviour" section instead of the one for the "Context menu" section? That could explain it, because those are for the popup icons/engines, and not for the context menu. :)
If it is correct, then we can try something else, if you don't mind. Can you try again with other add-ons disabled, to see if something else might be causing this? Thanks!
- por Usuario de Firefox 13303151, el hace 4 añosSe valoró con 5 de 5I love this add-on! Been using it for months and no issues (except forgetting how to add non-standard/personalized search engines). I actually refused to upgrade Mozilla for a long time just because it lost this functionality. Now I can always upgrade to the latest version without losing my most-used functionality. Thank you, Danial Lobo!Thank you! :) You are quite welcome! SSS can be a little daunting at times, especially if you are first using it. If you ever forget something, the instructions in the addon options page (above the engines) might help, although they try to be very concise. Actually, if you have suggestions to improve the instructions please do tell me. :)
- por mimteatr, el hace 4 añosSe valoró con 5 de 5It's really a great add on but the only problem is that if I add a new search engine to the main search engine of browser (because that's the only way to add it, I don't know the specific search address ) this add on doesn't automatically add it to it, I have to reset all, and add again the .json file, that's really annoying :(
I'll give you a 5th star if you can tweak it to automatically accept new search engines added to the browser. Thanks!
Hey Daniel, thanks for your quick answer. I understand perfectly the limitations for developers now, and your solution is perfectly reasonable and logical, will use it, thanks again and added the 5th star :)
1. It works but it resets the order of SE, so I have to move them up/bottom all over again.
2. When Selecting a word on the very bottom of the page, the icons group still appears at the bottom thus hiding a great part of it, instead of showing above it.
Hey Maurice, thanks for understanding! :) Regarding the two points:
In the case of point 1, if you do not delete your imported engines and just try importing again, SSS should keep your engine's order. At least it's doing that for me. :) It should only create a new engine if it doesn't find one with the same search URL already, and it shouldn't touch your ordering. If you are able to tell me how to reproduce this problem I would be grateful.
As for point 2, what are you using as the "Popup location" option under "Popup Behaviour"? The option to place the popup at the bottom left corner of the selection can behave strangely on some websites, because some pages' footer can cause you to select more than what is visible. If you are using "At cursor location" it should always appear above your cursor (but clamped to the top of the page). That said, this might be some SSS problem as well. :)
[previous reply 2018-02-12]
Hi! SSS actually did this before Firefox 57. :) Unfortunately, now it can't!
There's currently no way for WebExtension addons to look at your search engines, that's why I had to work around that problem by requesting the file from the user. These links on bugzilla discuss this problem, but nothing was completed yet:
Sorry, but this is something I can't do currently. :(
By the way, re-importing the json file should not reset existing engines but simply add those that are not there yet. If it is resetting existing engines then it could be a bug. Could you tell me what is happening exactly?
If you add new engines to Firefox frequently and have to re-import the json file, consider leaving in SSS all imported engines, but disable those you don't use instead of removing them. :)