PostBuddy is an extension for the Firefox browser which enables you to abstract text passages from web pages, news, blogs and articles, and then reformat and edit the text for purposes such as news reporting, criticism, review, research and private study. It is also useful for admins and editors when editing someone else's contribution.
With PostBuddy, you can:
- Abstract text passages from web pages, news, blogs and articles manually or automatically.
- Remove unnecessary formatting and edit your text.
- Count the words, paragraphs, lines, characters and sentences in your text.
- Reformat text to break it up into more readable paragraphs.
- Calculate readability metrics.
- Detect and/or replace certain common Unicode characters that garble when posted.
- Detect and/or filter out swear words.
- Spell-check using Firefox's integrated spell checker.
- Set up custom quick links for frequently used sources, blogs or forums.
- Add a standard footer to your posts.
- Auto-post to common forum editors.
- Recover auto-saved versions of your text, e.g. after a crash.
- Search for text within the edit box.
PostBuddy is designed to work with Firefox versions from 3.6 and later, taking into account the latest relevant developer information available for future versions at the time of release. Development and testing has been done on Windows XP, Windows 7, and Ubuntu with Linux.
A support forum has been created (see "Support site" link) for users to obtain information and updates relating to this extension and its uses. Users who donate at least the suggested minimum also get exclusive access to the supporting members' sub-forum, where they can post their own reports and suggestions, obtain access to special resource areas with information for authors, share lists of special interest news sources, interact with other supporting members, suggest improvements and fully participate in any relevant discussions about the extension and its uses.