Be careful with old versions!
These versions are displayed for reference and testing purposes. You should always use the latest version of an add-on.
- A new Play action has been added. It allows to view the downloaded videos with the player that comes with the video converter
- An optional settings parameter allows to download HLS streams as a M2TS video file
- Fixed gallery download where the target directory had an undesired "-1" suffix
- Updated to the latest version of Angular 1.x
- Fixed aborting masked downloads
- F4F streaming capture has been reworked to fit within the general chunks-streaming architecture (like HLS and M4S). It is now possible to choose between several variant qualities (if available) when downloading a F4F-streamed video.
- Added the "Masked Download" feature to ensure downloads are not saved to the disk in clear form. See this page for details.
Also, if your current converter does not support vp9, you'll need to update ConvertHelper (Windows only): go to VDH settings > More > Conversion, click "Recheck converter", follow the "update to ConverHelper 3.2a1" link.
Videos streamed over the chunked protocols HLS (MPEG-TS/MP2T, on sites like Dailymotion and many live streaming sites) and DASH (M4F used on sites like Vimeo) can now be downloaded without the need for the converter. Previous 5.4.x versions had a basic support for those streams, but it was inconvenient (you had to keep the video running) and the converter had to be used to finalize the download to a proper video file. This new version even offer in most cases the choice between several quality variants.
The old list of supported sites (which were not maintained anymore) is back to life. All the listed 1000+ video web sites are alive and are DownloadHelper-compatible. New sites are added weekly. Those lists are hosted on the downloadhelper.net website and no longer managed by the addon.
A long-time request from users with a low quality network connection: automatic download retries. If the download fails in a recoverable way, the add-on tries to resume the download from where it stops. The number of retries before giving up is configurable.
Add-on settings are now managed from with a tab and no longer an add-on panel.
The DownloadHelper icon is now usable from the Firefox options panel.
An option has been added to switch to the tab owning a particular video entry in the panel.
Video entries with long titles can now have the ellipsis (…) at right, left or display over several lines, based on the settings).
Fixes from previous 5.4.2 version:
- Fixed filename overwriting on simultaneous captures
- Fixed YouTube ADP variants that could generate aggregation errors
- Fixed gallery downloads with spaces in file names
- Fixed canceling download from Firefox manager cancels entry download in add-on
- Fixed wrong video window ownership when popup is launched at video start
- Fixed download list showing chunks on YouTube when smartnaming default was set to header/url or obfuscated
- fix for Dailymotion change on October 11th
- added zh-TW (traditional Chinese) locale
This capture method is used in two new features:
- Browsing session capture: an easy way to make web sites demo videos. The add-on captures the visible part of a browser window and optionally, is able to highlight the mouse.
- Applet capture: the add-on analyzes the loaded page to detect Flash and video regions big enough to be considered as capturable content and creates new entries in the detected hits list. Passing the mouse over those entries highlights the related region in the page so you know what you are about to capture.
Other minor fixes and additions:
- optionally use browser's default download directory instead of VDH specific one
- optionally display VDH controls from the Tools menu
- optionally allows prefixing gallery captured files with incremental number
- MP2T capture can now be configured from the settings
- conversion output profiles can now be configured from the settings
- if converter is not installed, place ADP variants detected from the network at the bottom of the list
- MP2T Streaming capture: record some chunked streamed videos
- Twitter Periscope Auto-recorder: auto-capture Periscope live streams
- Toolbar button modes: main toolbar button in now optional
- Optional main panel compact display mode
- Improved smartnaming including obfuscated file names
- New localizations
- e10s compatible
- Many fixes
It fixes the problem 4.9.24 had with downloading since Firefox 36, provide an entirely new user interface, many more video variants, ...
Enjoy your new Video DownloadHelper !
Fixed a number of issues with YouTube
After some changes in YouTube on August 6th, a number of users reported that all downloads were failing. This was caused by a a Youtube-generated cookie. The workaround consisting of clearing the cookies before downloading was not very convenient. This addon version takes care of that issue.
Earlier this year, some other changes at YouTube caused the FLV videos downloaded through the 'network' method to have a fixed 1.7MB size and being unplayable. This is now taken care of.
video conversion feature.
direct screen capture feature.
Fixed missing toolbar dropmarker arrow in some cases
Fixed broken SmartNaming definition
From version 4.9 to 4.9.1
Fixed bug #335: Toolbar icon does not activate.
Fixed bug #337: Wrong key mapping.