To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
About this Add-on
Zutilo is a plugin for Zotero (both the Firefox addon and the standalone client). Zutilo adds several functions not available in base Zotero through extra menu items and keyboard shortcuts. Here are some of Zutilo's features:
- Copy, paste, and remove sets of tags
- Select and right-click to relate several items
- Copy items to the clipboard in several formats
- Keyboard shortcuts for editing items and focusing and hiding different elements of the Zotero user interface
- Right-click to save link or document as an attachment to currently selected item (only for Zotero as a Firefox addon)
The latest released version of Zutilo is available from Zutilo's Mozilla Add-ons page. Just click the "Add to Firefox" button.
Download the Zutilo
.xpifile from Zutilo's Mozilla Add-ons page. If you visit the page in Firefox, the download link is a button that says "Add to Firefox" (it says "Download now" in other browsers). Right-click this button and choose "Save as".
Once you have the Zutilo xpi file, go to Tools->Add-ons in Zotero Standalone. Click on the gear button in the upper right area of the Add-ons Manager window that appears and choose "Install Add-on From File." Then select the downloaded
Zutilo can be customized via its preferences window, which can reached either via the Firefox Addons Manager or the Zotero action menu (the gear icon).
Zotero item menu
By default, Zutilo adds a set of menu items to a submenu (named
Zutilo) of the menu that appears when an item is right-clicked in Zotero. Which items appear can be set in Zutilo's preferences window. Items can be set to appear in the Zutilo submenu or directly in the Zotero item menu. Not all available functions are visible in Zutilo submenu by default.
All of the functions that can appear in the item menu can also be called by keyboard shortcuts. Zutilo also provides some additional keyboard shortcut functions that are not available from the item menu. By default, no keyboard shortcuts are defined. A shortcut key combination can be set for each function in Zutilo's preferences. If the key combination is already assigned for another Firefox function, a warning will be displayed.
Firefox specific functions
Zutilo adds entries to the Zotero address bar icon's menu for saving items into Zotero with the opposite attachment behavior from that set in Zotero's preferences. So if you have Zotero set to download attachments when saving an item, Zutilo will add an entry to save the item without attachments. The extra menu items can be disabled in Zutilo's preferences.
Zutilo adds two entries to right-click menu in Firefox, one to save the current page as an attachment (most useful when the page is a pdf) and another to save a link as an attachment (if a link was right-clicked). These menu items appear the Zotero submenu of the Firefox right-click menu. In Zutilo's preferences, the menu items can be set to appear in the right-click menu directly (instead of the Zotero submenu) or can be disabled. Whether the attachment files are imported to Zotero or downloaded and linked to Zotero items can be also be set in Zutilo's preferences.
For additional notes on usage, see USAGE.
For a detailed list of Zutilo's commands, please see the command reference.
For guidelines regarding bug reports, feature requests, and translation help, please see the feedback page.
For notes on working with the Zutilo code, please see the build document.
For a list of acknowledgments, please see the author page.
For a summary changes by version number, please see the changelog.
* New remove tags function
* Create book item from book section item
* Move notes/attachments from one item to another
* New function to create book section items from book items.
* New functions for toggling visibility of collections and item pane.
* Several new keyboard shortcuts for focusing various parts of the Zotero UI and working with attachments (thank you, bjohas!).
* Add shortcuts and menu items for copying links to Zotero items to the clipboard (both Zotero select links and zotero.org links).
Bugfixes since last release:
* Fix bug in relating items
* Fix item saving toolbar menu items and keyboard shortcuts
* Minor fix for handling different attachment types correctly.
* Preferences window bug fix
* Update the Save to Zotero menupopup items to work with the new Zotero / Save to Zotero combo button.
* Allow the duplicate item shortcut to work in Zotero Standalone.
The Development Channel lets you test an experimental new version of this add-on before it's released to the general public. Once you install the development version, you will continue to get updates from this channel. To stop receiving development updates, reinstall the default version from the link above.
Caution: Development versions of this add-on have not been reviewed by Mozilla.
- Version 1.4.0pre001: