To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
Local Filesystem Links 0.99.47
Scans for local file system URIs (file:///) on any page. Click on the added icon to open the local link with the system's file manager. Alternatively, select any text that forms a path (e.g. "C:\tmp\cow 1.txt") and use the context menu.
About this Add-on
This Firefox extension scans pages for file:/// links and makes it possible to open them with the system's file browser.
The extensions was created to assist people who like to use HTML pages to link to local files or files located on a network share. For example linking to local files from a wiki page.
Currently there are two methods of opening local file system links.
1) Automatic file link recognition
An automatic file link recognition scans for hyperlinks with a file:/// prefix.
For each of these hyperlinks a folder icon will be inserted on the right side of the hyperlink.
If you click the icon the local file link is opened with the system's file browser..
In case of a link to a directory, the file browser opens the directory.
In case of a link to a file, the file will be selected (NOT executed) in the file browser.
2) Page context menu entry
The extension adds an entry 'Open with Windows Explorer' to the page context menu that works on selected text.
It works as follows:
- Select a text portion that contains the path to a local file or folder (e. g. C:\Windows).
- Right click on the selection and choose 'Open with default file manager' from the context menu.
Supported file links
- Local disk file links like C:\Windows (file:///C:/Windows)
- Network share links (UNC paths) like \\server\folder\file.png (file://///server/folder/file.png). Note, that there are 5 slashes in a row after the file: part.
- Blanks in the path
- Does not work in Private Browsing mode or (which is the same) with history disabled
file:////home/, file:////bin/bash, file:///C:/Windows (does not work here, you have to use this test bed
Performance improvement, Issue #74, now 800 or more local file links in a page are supported -
Links are still added to invisible links because handling of later addition seems too complicated.
* NEW: Direct open in browser
Files like jpg, txt, pdf, etc. can be directly opened in browser - accessible with context menu or
by default link behaviour change
* NEW: Environment path variables are supported e.g. %HOMEDRIVE% for Windows and $HOME$ for Linux -
Note: Links with env. var needs to use %25 for % and %24 for $ in href attr. (will be improved
e.g. for Windows %HOMEPATH%/
The Development Channel lets you test an experimental new version of this add-on before it's released to the general public. Once you install the development version, you will continue to get updates from this channel. To stop receiving development updates, reinstall the default version from the link above.
Caution: Development versions of this add-on have not been reviewed by Mozilla.
- Version 0.99.41a: