Rated 5 out of 5 stars
amazing, thanks! ;)This review is for a previous version of the add-on (3.0).
Really Huge! Powerful Search Engine & More! Rated 5 out of 5 stars
a little need made me discover this, i watched the whole instruction video & i really have to recommend it! Truly useful. Already part of my surf experience!This review is for a previous version of the add-on (3.0).
Thank you for taking the time for the video & write the review! Allowing users search and surf faster has always been my goal for this addon.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Fastes search is just the best and most integral solution for searching text in pages and tabs and fast online search engines access (via location bar for example). The developer is very supportive and very helpful in considering ideas and problems. The settings user interface is a bit awkward, but that is mainly because there are so many possible configurations and the developer has succesfully tried to not cumber the user with too many text and information (unless you press "?").
There is no other search add-on that reaches this level; I have tried them all. There used to be some things that couldn't be done that other similar addons could, but meanwhile they are all integrated and working (also the ones I myself have asked!).
Thank you for the kind review! I'm glad that FS is meeting your needs!
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Great extension! One of my favorites already. Especially since adding search engines via mycroft project doesn't seem to work anymore, but this is more powerful and easier anyway!
Only frustration so far was finding the Options pop-up -it's in the add-on bar, which I don't use, but you can move it to the navigation bar if you want.
And, of course, it's really complicated, but you don't have to learn ALL of it if you don't want. With just five minutes you invest on it you'll already have upgraded your search experience much.
Thanks for the review! Indeed Options system is not ideal (although one can get used to it and in many cases it's much faster than the usual addon options).
Also true that invest a few minutes is all that it takes to enjoy a few major features that'd make a difference for search/browse experience. More advanced features can be learned as users wish.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Świetna rzecz!This review is for a previous version of the add-on (3.0).
Doesn't work anymore Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Suddenly stopped working: search stops at the first character with "key too short" message :'-( Seems to be a bug in FF25 though, hopefully they will fix it because this extension is really useful.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (3.0).
New update: this turns out to be an incorrect (IMO) "bug fix" in FF25 that actually caused issues for programs handling both keydown and keypress, while preventdefault in keydown is called. The bug fix in FF25 is ostensibly making sense but did not realize there are VALID situations that keypress must be handled and keydown doesn't work in those cases (unless FF also fixed issues there in v25). Anyhow I will try to work out a workaround over this "fix" in FF25.
More update: I investigated, a truly good workaround that works properly on all webpages is NOT possible any more (see my comment on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=501496). But the vast majority of sites should work fine.
Final update: I implemented and released the imperfect workaround in v3.17. Hopefully FF developers can provide a good working alternative or reverse their decision.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
the extension require time to understand and use, see the video, its really really awesome add!!This review is for a previous version of the add-on (3.0).
Thanks for your review! Indeed, spending time watching the video will definitely reward users with much better browsing/searching experience. It's time well spent.
I appreciate your response Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Thank you for a very clear response. As I said, and I believe you understood this, what I wrote was only my opinion on certain aspects. I said that I, as well as all your users must, appreciate your efforts into coding such a feature-extensive add-on, and I meant it. And yes it's true that my review may have been a little biased, but that is unavoidable after all, I do have my tastes and, like you said, I am proud of my own add-on. But in all honesty, it was meant only as constructive criticism.
If I was to leave a review before, I would have given it a higher rating before (I will do now, after your response, as an attentive developer like you seem to be is always appreciated in a community like this), but you must understand that, considering that your add-on is now not only featured but as well as a Pick of the Month, it should meet a higher degree of standards, which I don't believe it does yet, but as I mentioned, it can definitely in the future.
Just some final notes (if you wish, we can discuss this further by e-mail):
- The difficulty in the first-configuration process, I do believe it is of critical importance, because every single user that installs the add-on must go through that at least once. It's usually a first impression (When I open the FAQ page I see a small scrollbar so I think "That's a lot to read...", when I open the video I see 40 minutes duration and I think "That's a lot to watch..." etc) that either makes the user keep or discard an add-on. It turned me off before and did so again this time. I'm sure that it has been the same for many other users.
- That is valid also for the UI. And by "impose" I didn't mean like you like it so you have to get everyone to do so as well, you may have misunderstood me here. I meant the lack of customization you provide for these elements. Right now, if I wanted to change anything I'd have to use Stylish, and that implies a higher degree of knowledge than most users have. You're right about one thing, if I don't like I should either help or just not use it. I said that it was just my personal preference to like simpler things. I did not mean to be rude and I apologize if that was how you took it, it was not my intention at all.
- I did not check the categories of the add-on, but neither do most users when they search for something rather than browse categories, they just see the name of the add-on and the small description most times. I have to stand by my opinion on this matter, that those features are typical of a very different add-on than this, and I do believe you could easily expand them to their own add-on if you so wanted.
Again, I apologize if in my previous review I seemed harsh. It was not my intent at all. I think I put the goggles of a reviewer for a moment and I tend to be very critic like that sometimes.
Thank you for the new review & I do very much appreciate your explanation and updates! I understand, as a developer myself, I complain about non-intuitive/awkwardly-designed things a lot too and definitely some of your points are valid. As I said, the Find in All Tabs feature in your FBT addon is the best of kind among all addons (UPDATE: with FS v3.12's new result presentation, FS is now very good in result presentation and the most feature complete for all Find in All Tabs addon IMO) and you're actively improving it, it's understandable you would be critical of other addons when focused on similar features.
As I replied earlier, the customization UI is clumsy at first, and not easy to navigate for new users. But I didn't/couldn't change it for multiple reasons: 1. Initially it wasn't possible to do so as Addon SDK didn't support a traditional options. 2. It's a huge effort to do so - especially when localization support has to switch too. 3. The nice in-context linked documentation will be gone too if I switch to Addon SDK's newly supported, and still non-perfect options support - there would be new complaints arising if I do so. So this criticism I just have to endure for a while, although I am thinking of ways to make it less aggravating. UPDATE: v3.12 with the "reshow" main Options panel option enabled by default, it removes a little frustration.
My UI overall could be improved for sure. The search panel I've informed interested user that they can change CSS themselves. The Options panels are much more work as said above unfortunately.
As for inclusion of other features in a mainly search addon, I agree it could be annoying for those not interested in the features. But since the drag-n-drop are right click mouse gestures that won't usually be activated, and autocopy is mostly (but not always) harmless, I do not feel a change is needed right now - especially since my Linux-based friends do like them, I myself too.
To expand those features into their own addons are possible, but that defeats the purpose of me making this addon. I liked the "Autocopy" and "Super Dragandgo" addons before, but the latter died and I didn't want to install separate addons for every feature I need. So I made one myself to include those features. It just happens that the main feature by far that I put into this all-in-one addon is search-related. I agree plenty of people seemed to only want regex feature, but I'd rather people spend 20 seconds to disable the non-regex features they don't need (they're all readily accessible in the main Options panel to be turned on/off) in this situation than me spending a lot of time splitting the addons into two portions and maintaining two sets of sometimes-overlapping codebase.
Thanks again for your review! I apologize as well as I was getting harsher near the end of my reply too and I'm glad that our exchange resulted in better understanding not bitterness. I hope that eventually you could enjoy FS to its full extent (some of the features takes some getting used to, but once you start using it for a little bit, you'd love it I believe).
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I have been using fastest search for some months.
Vantage points: Versatile smart Search box (I use it all the time), versatile text search inside pages, versatile drag&drop of links to open them in new tabs (this one is really cool), search using search-engine groups
Weak points: As far as I know there is no way you can change the default key (SHIFT) to open the smart search box.
Verdict: Amazing add-on.
P.S.The author's introductory video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDlLrVZ54L0) is a must. Do watch it.
Thanks for the review! You're right that SHIFT key is currently the only shortcut to bring up a closed smart search box again - I didn't create another keyboard shortcut because I feel reselect would work faster than a complicated keyboard shortcut in fact.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
This is a great addon with everything I need. Functions beutifuly and it seems that everything is thought of to great detail. Instant search works great.
Thank you for all the work you must've put in to this.
However I've look through the settings, FAQ, video, help section and there's two things I can't find.Is there a way to disable instant search only for the url bar but not the search bar? The disable instant search for url bar setting seems to disable both?
Is there a way to set a default search engine for instant search in the search bar? (searching google instant results without having to use "g random crap" instead "random crap" in the search bar (only seems to use google as default in the url bar but not the search bar)
Thanks for your kind review! For your questions:
1. You're right, I don't separate Instant for locationbar and searchbar. This is partially because some of my users noted that they usually hide the searchbar, given that FS allows them to search any engine in location bar already. So searchbar is redundant, and I don't feel doing sth. differently for it was necessary. I do see your point that maybe you want to use Instant in locbar but not in searchbar - one not-ideal replacement by turning Instant on/off quickly using Ctrl-Alt-I shortcut? Another probably better alternative is to add a custom engine you want, AND disable instant on this engine (it's an option). Then when you want Instant search, just type keyword/engine normally. When you do NOT want instant search, use that newly added engine shortcut, which won't load instantly (when using this method, make sure that you do not check the "Do not show suggestions" checkbox in FS main Options panel).
2. You can set the engine to whichever one you have by clicking on FS icon to show the main Options panel, then click "Instant Settings" then input a "URL Bar Engine Shortcut" (input 'e' to use ebay as default, 'a' to use amazon etc.)
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Excellent addon that really makes browsing a lot more efficient for me. I'd highly recommend for any power user.
The smart searchbox is something I use constantly as I'm always highlighting text to look up on google, wikipedia, youtube, and other sites.
Being able to open links in new tabs by dragging and the customizable search engines shortcuts + search suggestions are a godsend for browsing speed.
Looking forward to version 3.0! (or just a version packed with SDK 1.14 since firefox 22 is approaching soon and it breaks addons packed with older SDK versions)
Thanks! I think I've given 3.0 enough test. Never had issue since once a month ago, good enough to go. Can't say for all users, but new features & working for FF22 makes v3.0 a necessity. Will upload for AMO review this weekend.
UPDATE: I had to take hours to work on a couple issues caused by FF22 retiring the API I was using for some features. There are other things needing my time over the weekend too, so I couldn't get to one last test on all features (as much as I can at least) before uploading. Will do that next week, sorry for the delay.
Excellent addon Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Highly customized and intelligently planned.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (2.31).
Amazing addon. New request to add keyboard shortcut for "selectable URL text" Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I have been a long-time user of this addon and completely agree with the review by Firefly. This addon is by far superior to other similar addons.
Now a new request to the developer: I have been a big user of the SmartBox feature. I find it irritating though that I cannot select the text with URLs easily; particularly, if I want to select a word in the middle of the URL'ed text. Most of the times, the URL gets clicked & I have to navigate back to the page. So, can you add a small tweak like this? - If I press, say, Alt button while making a selection, the URL click should be ignored & only the text should get selected. Possible? let me know.
Thanks in advance.
PS:By the way, I dont see the v3.0 version; neither here nor on your site! When will it be made available?
Hi, we think alike! I remember that once I thought of adding Alt so user can select link text, and then I found that Firefox already allows you to do that. Give it a try - if you hold Alt, then select part of link text, SSB does pop up fine without the link be clicked.
v3.0 is delayed as I wanted to test the stability more, and perfect the F3 search start from current page position (not the last match position) - this has turned out to be very difficult, which might be why that despite this feature makes perfect sense - how many times when you have 20 hits on a page, you want to scroll to a page position and just start search from there? - no browser does this? I'll try to work on it the next couple of weeks and release it.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Since U R a chinese, 那我说汉语吧。0_o
I guess I need to get my hands on a Mac to see if I can reproduce it. If it really is not working, it's very likely only needs to be repacked with SDK 1.14 to work. My current v3.0 that was not yet released is packed with 1.14, I would like you to check and see if it'd work for you. Email me if you're interested in testing and see if it solves the problem for you.
Versatile, Powerful and Intelligently Designed Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Fastest Search is one of those hidden gemstones in an ocean of addons. The author has clearly put a lot of thought in HOW users interact with his program, and not simply provide a laundry list of features. The program is imbued with numerous thoughtful, intuitive innovations that improve how one makes use of its power, such as the intelligently designed predictive features that reduce time an effort – thus the name “Fastest”.
The program may seem overpowering at first blush – and it is, but only because of the number of powerful tools it contains. Everything is well documented on the author’s site including video tutorials. Be patient and you will be richly rewarded. The best approach to learn about its features is divide and conquer. The program is divided into three parts: Searching within a web page (or optionally across all open tabs); Searching the web; and Productivity Shortcuts, both speed key and mouse.
I looked for a good page searcher for some time until I came across Fastest Search. As the name suggests, it is blazingly fast, but the real gems are the features. It is the only search program I have found that supports regular expressions. In addition to the usual highlighted terms, you are offered a choice between a traditional search box containing the common options or an immediate Find-As-You-Type method depending on your preference at the moment. The results are displayed three ways: a proportional match distribution bar with color-coded markers that jump directly to a match and which also displays a preview popup when they are hovered over; a location box with live elements; and an optional context box presenting a list of the matches and the sentences in which they appear, also directly clickable.
Web searches have a rich set of automation and options, making it both flexible and versatile. For example, a search term is quickly analyzed to determine the order of appearance for the many search engines presented for you to select from. Thus a single word will rank dictionary engines before others; foreign words invoke translation engines; a stock ticker name selects financial engines, and so on. All this can be tailored by the user according to needs. Any desired search engine(s) can be invoked by mnemonic shorthand, either singularly or by a user defined group containing specialized engines such as those for blog searches or technical or financial engines. Or, simply a group of your most favored engines. Individual engines can also be simultaneously searched by stringing together their shorthand aliases.
Usability enhancements provide convenience and empowerment. Many options make Fastest Search very configurable to tailor it according to each user’s tastes. The program is peppered with nifty command nuances and intuitively clever shortcuts like dragging to save images or opening links to the left or right of the current tab, in either the foreground or background. You can save your home or business address so that selecting a location from a page automatically maps the best route to take. An example of one of the nuances I use is the Autocopy feature to collect partial sections of the web page. I select a block of text, click my note-taker icon and select “Paste into note”. True, it only saves a tap of the Ctrl-C keys, but my hand never leaves the mouse and that makes it faster. Fastest Search expands Firefox’s Awesome Bar capabilities by adding additional keyword suggestions and instant search results from multiple user chosen search engines. And so much more. All in all, a truly elegant program.
Oh, and did I mention no restart of Firefox is necessary, making it one of the easiest extensions to experiment with. Give it a try; I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
Hi, I thought I replied to this review but somehow just found maybe I didn't. Thanks so much for a very detailed and well written review!
I'm absolutely delighted that FS was making your browsing/searching more efficient, and in many instances this addon is certainly worthy of the "Fastest" name (regex search offers the fastest way to find a complex pattern, all-tab search offers the fastest way to find same pattern on many pages, the smart searchbox is the fastest way to select and search, drag-n-save image with changing dir/name on-the-fly as option is also the fastest, the driving direction is absolutely world's fastest!) I can see that you tested all those functionalities out and were able to maximally utilize the features. That's exactly what I hoped that my users would do and what FS does for them!
I hope you download the latest v3.15 and you'd find some of the features are definitely improved (all-tab search, the look of SSB and many smaller improvements and fixes).
Regex caret and dollar Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Hi!I tried to match start of the line and end of the line, but no luck.Is there any restrictions using anchors in regex search?Thanks,IstvanThis review is for a previous version of the add-on (2.31).
Sorry, but matching start/end of line is rather difficult. The issue is, in most cases (continuous text in a paragraph, etc.), the browser decides where to split a paragraph into lines inside a div or table cell or whatever. My addon (or ANY addon) simply won't know which word would end up at the start or end of a line (technically, I can think of a very roundabout way to do that after the page is completely laid out, but it's very inefficient and not practical).
Update: thanks for updating & sending me email to further explain your question. So in fact you would like to have FS search only content of certain HTML tags. That's similar to some who suggested for FS to offer searching links only, like FF could do. That's doable but I need to investigate how much effort is needed first. It's on my to-do list and I've recently been try to go through them. Time is the most limiting factor right now for me.
Update: I implemented this last weekend and supported not just searching for links, list or any tags, but also much more detailed control using XPath (or a little modified XPath). It'll be soon released.
greatest addon ever Rated 5 out of 5 stars
A better UI will be greaterThis review is for a previous version of the add-on (2.31).
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
A very good addon and an excellent replacement to the now-unsupported "web search pro" extension. Author responds to emails quickly and seems that he cares for the suggestions if there is enough demand from users. I emailed him and told my suggestions. Here again:
1. A group search from smart searchbox with group icons can be supported. The icons can be custom or the author can make some icons with word or number identifications added on them with graphics.
2. The smart searchbox settings can be done in a visual way.
3. If there is an option to have the smart searchbox appear in forms or textboxes where we write text that would be fine.
4. This problem of having the addon disabled randomly bugs a lot. Why does it happen? As a novice I may think that this can be because the addon has the capability enabled-disabled without the need of restart? Only a novice thought.
Thanks for the review! Comment on your points (partly as per our email exchange):
1. This requires adding search engine category management UI to allow favicon management. Indeed as long as categories have their own icons, I see no problem supporting them in Smart Searchbox.
2. I haven't thought of a way of doing it that helps much but wouldn't be relatively time consuming to implement. The slightly tricky part is that FS recalculates layout of SSB based on the # of engines user inputs.
3. That will come. I was thinking about using a hotkey/modifier key to allow that.
4. This happened when FS was packed with older Addon SDK before (and I suspect it's because FS uses XPCOM extensively, which is not officially supported by Addon SDK in many cases, and that might have resulted in some issues). A few times I myself from find the need to disable/enable FS, and in worst case reinstall FS to make it work. And restored session failed to load FS in older versions. But I haven't seen any of such issues for quite a while, since maybe FF17 and newer FS. Are you using the latest FS in the latest FF?
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I have reviewed this addon favourably in the past too, and have added it to my addon collections as well. I have come back to encourage the developer to continue developing this great addon and taking it to new heights. This really is a work of art.
I must praise the developer for being very responsive to users' ideas. If the developer continues to develop this addon at this pace, in 1 or 2 years, it will become an addon in the same class as Adblock Plus and TabMix Plus.
A few suggestions I'd like to give to the developer to give him new ideas about how to enhance this all-in-one addon:
1. The smart searchbox could contain additional commands like the addon "Clip reference". For example, an option to copy the selected text, open selected text as url, find selected text in this tab, find selected text in all tabs, copy text, etc...+ few more functions not found in Clip reference i.e Search selected test within this site using Google, Search selected text within this site using the site's own search engine, and so on + Functions like the addon "QuoteURLText", copy selected text alongwith page title, url and date
2. Use the keyword 'f' to search for text in a page and 'ff' to search in all tabs. This is a feature we find in the Opera browser. If you type 'f firefox' in the address bar, it finds and highlights all instances of the word on the page. If this function is added to Fastest Search, then find text with one step less as there would be no need to do Ctrl+F or Ctrl+Shift+F before you can tye your text.
3. Enable/Disable Autocopy or Instant Search or Drag and drop by middle clicking or right clicking on the Fastest Search's button. You(the developer) might choose to allow toggling any function of your addon by pressing the button. This will make the button more usable. And by disabling/enabling functions on the go, we get a faster firefox.
4. Double click image to save it. Double clicking opens a dialog to allow you to choose the location where you want to save image.
5. Copy page's title, url and date by pressing Ctrl+C when you are on the page and have selected no text.
Hi, thanks for your kind review as always! For your suggestions:
1. Open selected text in a new tab is supported in "Misc. Settings" (named "Do not open selected plain text link"). Find select text in this tab/all tabs would be useful. Searching text on current site using Google is supported using Custom Engine with a special syntax (see "Misc. important features" section on this addon's page). Copy selected along with page title etc. sounds too undefined (some users might not want title but just want date, some might want only url ...) to be implemented.
2. That's useful, but I personally would rather use Ctrl-Alt-F to turn on Find-As-You-Type instead. This way you instantly see how many results are found and can immediately change keyword. No need to jump into addressbar and type f.
3. That's unfortunately not doable, AFAIK. It's limited by Addon SDK - I tried catching right click before and failed. And the current SDK version still only supports left click.
4. I'm not sure this is better than right click and drag to save an image. In fact, I know for certainly that if an image has a link on it, double clicking the image would still open that link before my addon even receives that double click event to do the saving. It's too unreliable to do this.
5. Copying current page's URL when nothing is selected is supported in "Misc. Settings" ("Smart Copy & Paste"), and you can Ctrl-V in another tab to open that URL without having to type 'Enter'. Note that this feature is inactive if your focus is in anywhere that you can type text in, just in case it's an inadvertent mistake. Again copying title etc. is too undefined for now.
Again thanks for your review and suggestions!
little bug? + suggestion Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Shouldn't QuickFind be disabled when the menu bar is focused (e.g. after pressing Alt key down and release)? I mean disabled like it is disabled when the location bar is focused ("Alt+d").
Also, it is being difficult to get icons for search engines automatically. Why not instead of providing a link to a favicon, allow choosing an image file locally, or better, input a favicon like in search pluggins, that is, e.g: data:image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAYAAAAf8/9hAAAAo0lEQVQ4je1SsQ3EIAy0xAiZgjXYjDGovqVnhZQgpaBiADJABvBX9tuEiDrSn4QE+Dj7bAD+AJca+txxdu9SQwAAnzuaUNSiGKiDABHlnkS3z/ETMaGgjXUpMFbJcVLbz4sJsuSlgCS71NDGqrwS2cbKFojD1n3u7MuEovYy27SJTxgF6AGJzyYHPvd7l4ce7OelqlNwqXFQTmb8K5RoaeMd+ALa0PVlVUetkwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
Sorry if i am getting something wrong, i have just installed it and I am learning how to use it.
Thanks for creating this addon, it makes Firefox so much superior to Chrome
Thanks for the compliment! Sorry for the late reply:
>Shouldn't QuickFind be disabled when the menu bar is focused (e.g. after pressing Alt key down and release)? I mean disabled like it is disabled when the location bar is focused ("Alt+d").
You're right. I will fix it.
>Also, it is being difficult to get icons for search engines automatically. Why not instead of providing a link to a favicon, allow choosing an image file locally, or better, input a favicon like in search pluggins
That is what FS does. It tries to grab favicon using Firefox' XPCOM's Favicon service and then converts it to data:image using canvus, and if that fails, it falls back to using URL. Unfortunately I did notice this process seems less reliable with new FF versions, so now it's falling back to URL more. I'll check if there's a more reliable alternative now.
As an alternative, my Imge2Icon addon can help grab the favicon of a website. I forgot why I wasn't able to use that code in FS though. I'll check again.