To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
This includes 3 features about the find toolbar. First, the dictionary-assisted find. Second, more customizable Find Toolbar. Third, the highlight feature like Safari 3.
About this Add-on
The first feature is the "dictionary-assisted find" for Japanese (or other languages).
This provides a feature to find Japanese terms in roman-letter spelling. For example, if you input "kanji", Firefox finds any terms of the sound, like "感じ", "幹事" and "漢字". Demonstration video:
Additionally, you can find modified latin letters with their simple versions. For example, "Frédéric" can be found by the input "frederic".
Or, if you want and you switch the find mode, you can do regular expression search for web contents.
Second is more customizable Find Toolbar. You can check "Highlight all" and "Match Cases" automatically. And, found term can be shown in the center of the screen.
Third, the highlight feature like Safari 3 is available. In "Highlight all" mode, the content area is covered by a dark screen and the focused term is shown with animation effect. Markers indicating where the search term is in the page will appear beside the scroll bar.
XUL/Migemo is available on:
* Find Toolbar (Firefox 2 or later, Thunderbird 2)
* Smart Location Bar (Firefox 3, ver.0.10.0 or later)
* Search boxes of History and Bookmarks (Firefox 3, ver.0.10.0 or later)
* Quick Find feature in the thread pane (Thunderbird 2)
This project is inspired from "Migemo" project ( http://0xcc.net/migemo/ ), which provides same feature for Emacs and other applications.
* Why I don't split those features?
Because, Firefox's findbar has too less customizability for addon developers, just like the tabbed browsing in old days (before Firefox 1.0). The findbar doesn't dispatch any notification for user actions and find results. So I had to override findbar's behavior totally. If I split this addon for each functions, 90% codes will be simply duplicated -- this means that the total size of new three addons will be nearly 300% of this single addon.
* Good news.
On Firefox 3.6 or later, "find from viewport" feature becomes optimized. Moreover, the largest bottleneck will be gone on Firefox 4.0. Try XUL/Migemo 0.13.3 or later on Minefield 4.0beta!
* For other languages...
I NEED HELP BY CJK DEVELOPERS. To implement Chinese and Korean engines, I want help. This will help CJK users powerfully because we need to use IMEs to input find terms in our languages. This possibly make IMEs needless to find terms in webpages.
This extension is designed to use custom engines for multiple languages. If you implement new engines, XUL/Migemo can provide advanced - dictionary-assisted and rapid - infremental search for other languages. But now, only two engines -Japanese and English- are available because I'm Japanese. If you've developed a new engine for another language, please contact me.
Documents for developers:
- Fixed: On the first startup, the initial state of the find toolbar was wrongly set to "Migemo" mode. (*If you got the wrongly initialized preference, you have to repair it manually by "XUL/Migemo Configuration" => "Find Toolbar" => "Change initial state of the Find Toolbar Features..." => "Find mode:" => "Normal".)
- Fixed: Failed to switch internal modes when you clicked the find mode switcher.
- Improved: Highlighted terms are shown with drop shadow.
- Improved: Async operation for Safari-style highlighting and markers is landed.
- Fixed: Needless checkboxes for combination about other addons has been removed.
- Fixed: Highlights were wrongly cleared by markers, if Safari-style highlight was disabled.
- Fixed: Some fatal regressions around the awsomebar disappeared.
- Fixed: Freezing while highlighting disappeared.
- Fixed: The awsomebar didn't work anymore after a browser window closed and there was another window.
- Improved: Works on Minefield 4.0b2pre.
- Improved: On Minefield 4.0b2pre, "switch to tab" feature of the awsomebar is supported.
- Improved: Works on Thunderbird 3.0 and Thunderbird 3.1. (*Note: Migemo find is not available for quick find in folders if the Gloda is disabled.)
- Improved: "Find from viewport" is optimized. (*Note: only on Gecko 1.9.2 and later.)
- Improved: Smooth-scroll for "show the found term in the middle of the screen". (To disable it, go to about:config and set
- Improved: Smooth-scroll for markers of found positions. (To disable it, go to about:config and set
- Modified: "migemo" API doesn't return contents in the user dictionary anymore. This is a security improvement.
- Fixed: Keyboard shortcuts can be customized on Firefox 3.6 and later.
- Fixed: Annoying focus moving when in-page finding is failed disappeared.
browser.urlbar.autoFillworks correctly for the smart location bar with XUL/Migemo.
- Fixed: Highlighted terms for the last search are correctly cleared by the next search.
- Fixed: Warnings from keyup events disappeared.
- Drops support for Firefox 2 and Thunderbird 2.