|User since||July 22, 2012|
|Number of add-ons developed||0 add-ons|
|Average rating of developer's add-ons||Not yet rated|
Fixing Red Cats after FF upgrade Rated 5 out of 5 stars
A year ago DaveShep posted an incredibly useful fix for when Firefox upgrades and Red Cats stops working:
1. Download Red Cats (Green Flavor) using IE or Chrome
2. Change the extension of the file from .jar to .zip.
3. Open the zip file & copy the install.rdf file out of it.
4. Open the install.rdf file w/ Notepad
5. Look for the line that begins "<em:maxVersion>"
6. Change the version number to 14.* (this will allow it to work w/ all versions of FF 14)
7. Close & save the file
8. Put it back in the zip file.
9. Change the extension back to .jar
10. Go into Firefox's AddOn Manager & install Red Cats (Green Flavor) from file.
My grateful thanks to him for this; I used it every few weeks when FF screwed up Red Cats (amongst other add-ons; their constant upgrade policy really is stupid, because it ruins what used to be the great beauty of FF, its many useful add-ons).
With the upgrade from FF22 to FF23 I've lost Red Cats again, and this time can't get this fix to work.
A query to the developer. Would it be possible for you to set the maxVersion to 99? -- then we wouldn't have this problem every few weeks.
Here we go again... Rated 5 out of 5 stars
As I said on July 22: "Hope we won't have to go through this procedure again in 6 weeks when Fx unnecessarily goes to v.15..." Well, guess what...
These constant Fx updates are ruining so many good add-ons, including Red Cats. To save having to go through this rigmarole every six weeks I'm going to keep the install file on my computer and just update the version number each time.
Come back, Red Cats creator -- we need you!
Query to Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Maybe you're on holiday at the moment -- or maybe you've just given up chasing the constant Fx updates which are ruining so many good add-ons.
Hope we won't have to go through this procedure again in 6 weeks when Fx unnecessarily goes to v.15...
Slight amendment if necessary Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Thanks, DaveShep. I tried half a dozen other appearances and disliked them all.
For anyone else trying to follow your instructions to the letter: I was unable to change the extension from .jar to .zip, so just opened the folder with a zip program (Bandizip) anyway, and that worked fine.
Thanks again -- the Cats are back.