You can highlight any contiguous page portion and you can also put stickies anywhere on a given or any page. Both highlights and stickies are persistent. Those are saved into an xml storage on your local machine under your firefox profile folder stickyplushighlighter sub folder. This datafile is interchangeable, which means, you can share this simple xml file with any of your collaborators who also have this extension. (Note: See below at hints
.) When you navigate again to those pages which have annotation elements those will appear again, but when highlighted sections do not match with the present page content, those highlights items will be deleted. You can select from 6 predefined color for both stickies and highlights have +3 more styles. The stickies are editable, which means you can copy and paste any html content portion into them and you can write into and modify any text in it. Thus, the stickies can have real links unlike as Adobe stickies.
The two fold sidebar can list the given page all annotation or only stickies or highlights elements either in flat or grouped view. You can change the view listing all items until put anywhere and you can also change the list order. Both, all or given page view offer further filtering the details. From the actual sidebar view you can generate a HTML summary page, which can be saved from the browser. The combined sidebar offers another special functionality to view the given page all anchors, id links, and links which point to else pages from this page. You can filter this anchor view too. You can also view the actual page Table of Content (ToC). From all view in the sidebar you can jump either to a selected annotation item or ToC item or anchor or id link. The sidebar also has an extensive html and plain (retaining the links) copy feature which can help you gathering information portion from any previously annotated page or page anchors/links or ToC segment. Usage
: Sticky Menu toolbar button
add it from customize Toolbar. The button toggles the Annotation Manager Sidebar. Or press keystrokes CTRL-SHIFT-Z
. Browser Context menu
(toggle, roll up/down, delete all) items appear depending on whether there are stickies or highlights on current page. Highlighter menu shows if there is a selection. Either of operation sub menus show when right clicking on a highlight or sticky part. Annotation Manager Sidebar
controls items listing depending on selected view (All/Stickies/Highlights), list type (This page only, All), and group by and filter. Can export and open a HTML page in browser showing the current view in sidebar. Can show Anchors, several type links, ToC of current page, and navigable. Sidebar context menus
show when there is an item right clicked on a view, can be chosen several selection settings (single, multiple, all row(s), or clear selection). Allow jumping to the selected item in single mode, or delete multiple items in multiple selection mode. Provides extensive copy to clipboard either HTML or plaint (retaining hyperlinks). Sticky parts and operations:
- Existing stickies are initially collapsed!
- You can create a sticky pressing the Sticky Menu toolbar button menu items - Create Sticky
or Browser Context menu items - Create Sticky
- If the mouse left clicked at a selected coordinates on the page before choosing any menu item for creation a sticky that will be put there. Otherwise at the center of screen.
- When you right click on a portion of a sticky (mainly sticky body empty or sticky tag area) 'This sticky operations' sub-menu shows and you can select 'Locate in sidebar' or 'Bring forward' - 'Send back' a given sticky.
- 'Sticky body' is collapsible/expandable, 'Sticky drag' area can move sticky when mouse left pressed on, 'Sticky tag' can be modified when entered, 'Sticky saver' button will change if you clicked into the sticky body and probably edited it. Save manually the sticky to push this button when edited its content. 'Sticky body' is a contenteditable div so one can paste drag images and links into it. You can enter/edit any text message into it too. 'Sticky delete button' deletes the sticky, 'Sticky footer' (6 predefined sticky colors picker, link changer allows/switches you either to navigate on the inner links put in the sticky body or put back you in edit mode, 'resizer' will resize the sticky when you down the mouse left button on resizer and moving the mouse until you want and up the mouse left again.) Highlights and operations:
- You can create a Highlight selecting a contiguous area on page. The Highlighter context menu will show and you can choose one of the predefined styles. Noncontiguous selection (pressing CTRL when selecting page portions) is not allowed for highlighting.
- When you re-select an already highlighted portions of text both the 'Highlight menu' and 'This highlight' operations sub menu will show. If you choose to redefine a previous highlight style the original selection will be updated to present chosen style.
- When you right click on a highlighted portion the 'This highlight operations' sub menu shows and you can select Locate in sidebar or Delete this highlight. Navigation:
- Every stickies/highlight create or update or delete operation will refresh the sidebar. Create or update locates it automatically.
- Delete makes backups.
- Bulk deletes will automatically reload pages from which item were deleted and if pages are opened.
- When a page had opened but inactive and you select that tab again the page will be automatically reloaded if contains annotations!
- When you navigate back from the history to an already opened page it will be automatically reloaded if contains annotations (but wait a minute to it)! (!!Note: In both latter cases the cached page need to be refreshed to regenerate annotation elements to work!)
- Do not reload manually an annotated page!
It will reload from cache and neither of annotation functions will properly work! At least select an other tab before, then re-select again. It will reload for you properly. Hints:
1.This extension had tested only on Windows XP
! Perhaps it may work on another OS, but you need to try it!
2.Sidebar resizing or porting to right side are not a part of this extension. It is strongly suggested to use All-in-One Sidebar
3.Both stickies and highlights are permanently stored in an xml file in one's local machine firefox profile folder. This dataset unique only for this user. No one else will see those annotations visiting to the given page, except if this storage file (Note: stickyhighlight.xml only
) is sent to someone else and that one uses this extension too, and copied this file into his firefox extension profile folder stickyplushighlighter sub folder. This gives a collaboration capability between parties who are using same xml datasource. The xml datafiles can be combined by a 3d party editor, holding together all collaborating partners' datastorage. If you share the datasource to collaborate with your partners, there is not 'author' property to distinguish between who created which sticky or highlights. But if more party involved they can use manually written #author initial
in the sticky body which content can be filtered.
4.Please do not report and lower the stars
at the review here more times, just because you encounter any problem at first using! Give a chance to try it more times again! If you can not use as expected even yet, do the step below.
5.Please send a message to support email if you encounter problems, or you have any suggestion. Before you take an error report pls. read and keep in mind known issues written in Developer Comment
6.Screenshots here give quick usage help.(Save them As image).