To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
Sticky Plus Highlighter & Anchor/Link/ToC sidebar 2.3.1-signed.1-signed Requires Restart
Permanent multicolor rich sticky notes and highlighter. An Adobe like web annotation tool, with 6 predefined colors +3 more text styles. Combined Sidebar with grouped/flat view navigating for annotations + list all anchors/links/headings(ToC).
About this Add-on
The two fold sidebar can list the given page all annotation or only stickies or highlights elements either in flat or grouped view. You can change the view listing all items until put anywhere and you can also change the list order. Both, all or given page view offer further filtering the details. From the actual sidebar view you can generate a HTML summary page, which can be saved from the browser. The combined sidebar offers another special functionality to view the given page all anchors, id links, and links which point to else pages from this page. You can filter this anchor view too. You can also view the actual page Table of Content (ToC). From all view in the sidebar you can jump either to a selected annotation item or ToC item or anchor or id link. The sidebar also has an extensive html and plain (retaining the links) copy feature which can help you gathering information portion from any previously annotated page or page anchors/links or ToC segment.
Sticky Menu toolbar button add it from customize Toolbar. The button toggles the Annotation Manager Sidebar. Or press keystrokes CTRL-SHIFT-Z.
Browser Context menu (toggle, roll up/down, delete all) items appear depending on whether there are stickies or highlights on current page. Highlighter menu shows if there is a selection. Either of operation sub menus show when right clicking on a highlight or sticky part.
Annotation Manager Sidebar controls items listing depending on selected view (All/Stickies/Highlights), list type (This page only, All), and group by and filter. Can export and open a HTML page in browser showing the current view in sidebar. Can show Anchors, several type links, ToC of current page, and navigable.
Sidebar context menus show when there is an item right clicked on a view, can be chosen several selection settings (single, multiple, all row(s), or clear selection). Allow jumping to the selected item in single mode, or delete multiple items in multiple selection mode. Provides extensive copy to clipboard either HTML or plaint (retaining hyperlinks).
Sticky parts and operations::
- Existing stickies are initially collapsed!
- You can create a sticky pressing the
Sticky Menu toolbar button menu items - Create Sticky or
Browser Context menu items - Create Sticky.
- If the mouse left clicked at a selected coordinates on the page before choosing any menu item for creation a sticky that will be put there. Otherwise at the center of screen.
- When you right click on a portion of a sticky (mainly sticky body empty or sticky tag area) 'This sticky operations' sub-menu shows and you can select 'Locate in sidebar' or 'Bring forward' - 'Send back' a given sticky.
- 'Sticky body' is collapsible/expandable, 'Sticky drag' area can move sticky when mouse left pressed on, 'Sticky tag' can be modified when entered, 'Sticky saver' button will change if you clicked into the sticky body and probably edited it. Save manually the sticky to push this button when edited its content. 'Sticky body' is a contenteditable div so one can paste drag images and links into it. You can enter/edit any text message into it too. 'Sticky delete button' deletes the sticky, 'Sticky footer' (6 predefined sticky colors picker, link changer allows/switches you either to navigate on the inner links put in the sticky body or put back you in edit mode, 'resizer' will resize the sticky when you down the mouse left button on resizer and moving the mouse until you want and up the mouse left again.)
Highlights and operations::
- You can create a Highlight selecting a contiguous area on page. The Highlighter context menu will show and you can choose one of the predefined styles. Noncontiguous selection (pressing CTRL when selecting page portions) is not allowed for highlighting.
- When you re-select an already highlighted portions of text both the 'Highlight menu' and 'This highlight' operations sub menu will show. If you choose to redefine a previous highlight style the original selection will be updated to present chosen style.
- When you right click on a highlighted portion the 'This highlight operations' sub menu shows and you can select Locate in sidebar or Delete this highlight.
- Every stickies/highlight create or update or delete operation will refresh the sidebar. Create or update locates it automatically.
- Delete makes backups.
- Bulk deletes will automatically reload pages from which item were deleted and if pages are opened.
- When a page had opened but inactive and you select that tab again the page will be automatically reloaded if contains annotations!
- When you navigate back from the history to an already opened page it will be automatically reloaded if contains annotations (but wait a minute to it)! (!!Note: In both latter cases the cached page need to be refreshed to regenerate annotation elements to work!)
- Do not reload manually an annotated page! It will reload from cache and neither of annotation functions will properly work! At least select an other tab before, then re-select again. It will reload for you properly.
1.This extension had tested only on Windows XP! Perhaps it may work on another OS, but you need to try it!
2.Sidebar resizing or porting to right side are not a part of this extension. It is strongly suggested to use All-in-One Sidebar.
3.Both stickies and highlights are permanently stored in an xml file in one's local machine firefox profile folder. This dataset unique only for this user. No one else will see those annotations visiting to the given page, except if this storage file (Note: stickyhighlight.xml only) is sent to someone else and that one uses this extension too, and copied this file into his firefox extension profile folder stickyplushighlighter sub folder. This gives a collaboration capability between parties who are using same xml datasource. The xml datafiles can be combined by a 3d party editor, holding together all collaborating partners' datastorage. If you share the datasource to collaborate with your partners, there is not 'author' property to distinguish between who created which sticky or highlights. But if more party involved they can use manually written #author initial in the sticky body which content can be filtered.
4. Please do not report and lower the stars at the review here more times, just because you encounter any problem at first using! Give a chance to try it more times again! If you can not use as expected even yet, do the step below.
5.Please send a message to support email if you encounter problems, or you have any suggestion. Before you take an error report pls. read and keep in mind known issues written in Developer Comments section! Read over the longer documentation above, getting several tips.
6.Screenshots here give quick usage help.(Save them As image).
*** ver 2.0. (base) IMPROVEMENTS ***
(+) sticky: Clicking Add/Select tags icon before tags input box invokes Add/Select tags dialog. It works independently from adding/modifying tags immediately from input box.
(+) highlight/sidebar: Now you can add/modify tags for highlights too, through Add/Select dialog. You can modify tags right clicking on a highlight, and choosing the 'Add/modify tags..' menuitem from Highligts submenu.Tag will appear hovering on a highlight and tags also seen in sidebar.
[* Note: When you write some (at least 2) characters into Add/Select text box it will be located whether there are already used tags containing the written characters. If there are matches those will be hooked up into a selection menu. You can select from them one item, or you can continue writing the new tag name. You can select from the below tag selection list as much already used list as you wish. Pressing OK, the selected tags will be added to the ones written in the Add/Select text box ]
(+) highlight/sidebar: Previously created highlights which doesn't match position or previous content can't be recreated, but will remain in datastorage, and will be marked in sidebar and HTML summary with red border.
(+) sticky/highlight/sidebar: Now you can 'Delete item' individually from sidebar context menu when selecting either of items.
(+) sidebar: You can now filter by multiple tags (tag1,tag2)
(+) sidebar: You can apply for another filter on a filtered set
(+) sidebar: You can clear the filters by selecting an individual menu point chosen from Filter combo.
[* Note: Be thoughtful selecting filters! Setting check box on filtered set, means deepening the filter conditions on a given found set. If you mistype the filter and you find nothing you can clear the filters and try again. Pressing X on text box doesn't roll back the previous filter condition. ]
(fix) sidebar: Date format for every newly created items always will YYYY-MM-DD (due to textual sort will work well)
[* Note: date format of created previous items need to be manually edited in your stickyhighlight.xml]
(fix) sidebar: When grouping and/or sorting by a column in sidebar both sidebar and creating HTML summary will show the group by/sort by rightly.
[* Note: If you installed the 2.0 or 2.1 or coming 2.2 version at first at this time the annotations on this page contain actual hints. If you updated the Add-On from ver. 1.x your storage file won't be modified, so the annotations displayed on this page are outdated. You can delete them from this page in bulk - use multiple select in the sidebar -. Then you are able to merge (copy) manually the new ones to your actual xml file. (Open both files in a text editor, and copy the only items from (your firefox profile folder)\extensions\firstname.lastname@example.org\chrome\content\stickyhighlight.xml to(your firefox profile folder)\stickyplushighlighter\stickyhighlight.xml. Be careful with the copying! The target file must involve only <stickyplushighlighter> container tag! Suggested to save you target file before copying.). If you do not take this effort you can even read the annotations modification put on this page. Locate (your firefox profile folder)\extensions\email@example.com\Summary_changes_annotations_for_v2.0.htm and open in the browser.]
*** For SCRAPBOOK or SCRAPBOOK + users! Try use it on an already saved (captured ) page! Annotations put before capturing a page won't work after the page had captured! ***
Dear users who are using this add-on or new comers!
Due to much deliberation, I decided to abandon maintaining and updating this Add-On. It will remain here for a short time to download the last signed version, read Meet the developer ...!
Follow and read the remembrance of this Add-On at Facebook page
Thanks for everybody who had given a try to use it!
For dear users who try to use this add-on, but encounter problems and report it in the Review.
Before you take an error report pls. keep in mind: (revised by as above)
That is not an error if stickies won't be at right place when the sidebar opens, or the page changes. Closing the sidebar those will be at that position to where you put them! It also occurs when you change the browser view size either text or all. If the page changed meanwhile drag the sticky to the right position. That is also not an error when highlights vanish if their content or position changes on a revisited page. In the new version they will not be deleted from the storage and sidebar. Read above how to delete.. Suggested also, to make a HTML summary and saving it from the browser, or a clipboard copy before visiting such pages of which content often change or those are server side generated! That is not an error when you open a HTML summary page in a new window, but the sidebar will be empty! It is because you generated the view from a previous page 'This page only' view, but the sidebar actually synchronized automatically that page you are currently viewing. The sidebar will only show the last settings if you generated the summary from 'All' annotation view either flat or grouped. Also not an error if you select 'multiple rows' only the first selected HTML preview is shown in the sidebar. Often occurs that selection remains checked. Switch back to 'single row' and re-select the item. When you navigate to a highlight you can observe perhaps they won't be navigated correctly. (Sometimes a sticky too.). Jump to them from the sidebar again. Pls. do not report it! At this time of testing there are not known conflicts with either Tab Mix Plus or several else tab related addons. (Tab Scope, TabGroup Menu, Multiple Tab Handler had been tested.) If you experience problems even yet, pls. let me know! I considered the sidebar refreshing at every highlight/sticky create and update useful to see immediately if the changes occurred, but it may be annoying to toggle the sidebar manually too much. Note: The sidebar size can be set to be comfortable if you use AIOS! But, if I get pretty much issues referring to the sidebar refreshing feature can be eliminated!
Check possible further updates at https://sites.google.com/site/stickyplushighlighter/home (support site)!
Follow and read more on Facebook page too.
Keep in mind: I'm able to continue improving this work to make it more stable, usable and reliable, only if at least there are respectful supporters who aid me with usable check-back issues. Even I 'd be grateful finding ones who are able undertake sponsorship if they find this Add-on useful.
#2.3-1 (fix) resolve relative path for images
#2.3-2 (fix) hide jump if toc heading has not id
#2.3-3 (fix) refresh toc/anchors view when init
This add-on is not compatible with your version of Firefox because of the following: