To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
LanguageToolFx – Style and Grammar Checker 0.7.1-signed.1-signed No Restart
Check selected text on websites or text in text fields with the free style and grammar checker LanguageTool.
About this Add-on
- Select the text that you want to check, or click in a text field if you want to check its contents.
- Click on the LT icon, which is displayed in the bottom right corner on the add-on bar by default, or right-click on the text and select “Check with LanguageTool” to have the text checked.
It is also possible to check text using a keyboard shortcut. Press
Command+Shift+Lon Mac) to check the current selection, or
Command+Shift+Return) to check a text field. You can change these shortcuts in the settings of the add-on.
By default, the extension tries to use a locally running LanguageTool server. Download the stand-alone version of LanguageTool from the LanguageTool website and either run
LanguageTool tries to auto-detect the language of the text; nevertheless, you should set a sensible fallback language in the settings of the add-on. Furthermore, a mother tongue must be set in order to get warnings about false friends.
If you want to move the LT icon to another place, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the add-on bar at the bottom of the browser window.
- Select “Customize…”.
- Drag and drop the icon to wherever you want.
- Click on “Done”.
- You might want to close the add-on bar by clicking on the close icon on the left.
- It is not possible to check texts on websites which were loaded before the installation of the extension.
- If you select a headline and the following paragraph, you might get a warning about wrong case because LanguageTool doesn't consider the paragraph. It might also happen that the last word of the first paragraph and the first word of the second paragraph are joined together.
- “Text” between <script>-HTML-tags is checked, if it is part of the selection.
Where can I report wishes, problems, or false alarms?
If you have any suggestion or problems, or you want to report a false alarm, you can leave a message in the LanguageTool forum or on the mailing list. Bug reports can also be added to the bug tracker. Please do not use the rating feature if you want to report a problem.
What about Thunderbird?
Those of you who want to check text in Thunderbird using LanguageTool might want to try the Grammar Checker extension.
How can I contribute?
This extension is freely available under the GNU General Public License, Version 3.0+, and the source code can be obtained from GitHub. Contributions are welcomed; please send patches (or suggestions) to the mailing list, or post them in the forum.
- support for Persian and Tamil has been added to LanguageTool
- new translations for French, Lithuanian, Persian, Spanish, and Swedish
- phrases can be ignored
- spinning wheel displayed while text is being checked
- an ordinary toolbar button is used now, hence right click action on LT-button is no longer available (limitation of add-on SDK)
- fixed issue with escaped characters (like apos;) appearing in error messages
This add-on is not compatible with your version of Firefox because of the following: