To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
About this Add-on
This add-on breaks a URL up into segments (using forward slash as separator). Uses various click, key and click combinations, or keyboard shortcuts to enable quick modifications:
- Select segment(s) to edit text.
- Copy, cut or delete segment(s).
- Delete a segment with all following segments, and reload page, display autocomplete suggestions or open in new tab.
- Collapse segment(s) to view hidden parts of URL.
- Break segment(s) into even smaller highlightable fragments for further precise adjustment.
- Show page load progress of current tab in the Awesome Bar.
This add-on was inspired by a movie. It started from some rustic ideas, and I hope you can somehow find traces of them in this add-on.
- Legibility: Instead of pursuing the decorative effects to make it look fancy, CSS is used to ease the segment recognization and manipulation.
- Performance: It doesn't exist, and does not consume cpu cycles while the user is browsing the web and having no interest in the URL. The events listened and the style rules applied are carefully chosen to avoid overhead.
- Productivity: Every action is initiated and completed by a single click or a single key and click combination. No contextmenu, No stop-and-think and No waste motion of keystroke or mouseclick.
- Flexibility: It is fully configurable, and user can choose what actions thy need, what modifiers are comfortable to them and how many modifiers they really need.
Usage & Customization
Check the screenshots and find the detailed description at the bottom of this page in the Developer’s Comments section.
Combined use of this add-on with other location bar mod add-on might cause conflict. If this add-on doesn't deliver what it promises to do, please disable the conflict one temporally and retry.
Thanks & Kudos
I'd like to give special thanks to digitalhobo for his contribution to the English instruction and issue analysis.
#1 Short Click on a segment will delete all the segments following it, and reload the remaining URL string. (Truncate & Go)
#2 Long Click on a segment (press down and hold then release) will give it normal system highlighting for textual editing. (Enter Edit Mode)
#3 Clicking on X placed at top right corner of each segment will delete it. (Delete)
#4 Shift+Clicking on X placed at top right corner of each segment will cut it. (Cut)
#5 Right Click(PC) or Control+Click(Mac OS X) will collapse a segment, allowing URL overflow to come into view. (Collapse) Right Click again will restore it back.
#6 Shift+Click will break a segment into even smaller highlightable fragments. (Break Into Fragments)
- Dot(.), At Sign(@) and Colon(:) are used as separator for the 'hostname' or 'domain name' segment
- Hash(#), Ampersand(&), Question Mark(?) and Space( ) are used for the 'path' or 'resource' segments.
#7 Click and Drag across multiple segments to highlight them as a unit (Selection Mode). Clicking copies the assemblage to the clipboard. (Copy)
- All other actions are the same as for single segment.
- Click outside of the selected assemblage of segments to cancel, or make a new assemblage.
#8 Click on Protocol or blank space to access awesome bar in normal way. Access Awesome Bar is a predefined action to assign as well.
8 out of 11 available actions take effect in the first place with the default settings. If that is not enough, it is possible to set additional actions, using the Middle Mouse Click, keyboard combinations Ctrl(PC) or Command(Mac OS X)+Click or Alt+Click.
#9 Click on a segment to delete all the segments following it, and have the autocomplete suggestion list appear for the remaining URL string. (Truncate & Autocomplete)
#10 Click on a segment to delete all the segments following it, and open the remaining URL string in new background tab. (Truncate & Go In New Background Tab)
#11 Click on a segment to delete all the segments following it, and open the remaining URL string in new foreground tab. (Truncate & Go In New Foreground Tab)
Keyboard Shortcuts (Unconfigurable)
Hover over location bar, and modify URL with keyboard shortcuts.
Ctrl+Z : Undo
Ctrl+Y : Redo
Ctrl+C : Copy
Ctrl+V : Paste
Ctrl+X : Cut
Delete : Delete
Ctrl+A : Select All
Esc : Deselect
Ctrl+, : Insert Before
Ctrl+. : Insert Afte
Some of the Advanced Settings
- Enable this add-on at browser start-up
- Treat protocol segment as normal segment
- Break hostname into fragments automatically
- Break resource into fragments automatically
- Segment begins with /(Slash)
- Enable keyboard shortcuts
Add the toggle button to toolbar or define the toggole shortcut key (SegmentUrlBarCtrl.toggle();).
Customize Color Scheme, and More!
Guides To URL Structure & Terminology
Truncate & Go in current tab, even if Tab Mix Plus or Tab Utilities make stuff typed in Locationbar open in new tab.
The Development Channel lets you test an experimental new version of this add-on before it's released to the general public. Once you install the development version, you will continue to get updates from this channel. To stop receiving development updates, reinstall the default version from the link above.
Caution: Development versions of this add-on have not been reviewed by Mozilla.
- Version 1.2.5beta3: