Welcome to Thunderbird Add-ons.
Add extra features and styles to make Thunderbird your own.Close
About this Add-on
The main purpose is to:
- reduce size of message (emails > 5 Mb are generally blocked by ISPs).
- archive attachment files when sending email.
Features are the following:
* All platforms are supported. Tested versions are the following:
- Windows: XP sp3 (x86), Seven Pro sp1 (x64);
- Linux: Mandriva 2011-2 (x86);
- Mac: OS X 10.7 / Lion (x64).
* Available languages are: french (fr-FR), english (en-US), czech (cs-CZ).
* Compression format is "zip", using native Mozilla API, thus making the addon more stable and cross-platform, and reducing size of .xpi installation file.
* All or only a selection of attached files can be compressed.
* Files can be compressed individually or archived in one compressed file.
When archiving several files in one compressed file, it's possible to append a previous created compressed file if any exists.
* A toolbar button is added to composing window and allows to compress files. Its behaviour can be user-defined:
- compression of all attachment files;
- compression of selected attachment files only; an option allows to choose to compress all files anyhow when no file is selected.
* The user has full control on the way attachment files are compressed through all the 6 ways to "send" a message; "sending" a message can be "send now", "send later", "send in background", "save as draft", "save as template", or "auto save as draft":
- compress files or not;
- compress files only if no file has already been compressed (generally using dedicated custom toolbar button);
- allow undo (uncompressing) by adding undo information.
* Compression can be undone: Nb: This feature works only for current composing session (meaning that if compose window has been closed, then it's impossible to uncompress).
* Two filters can control if attachment files are compressed or not:
- a file size filter;
- a compression benefit filter.
* Files to compress can be filtered via filename criteria: regarding a user-defined list of patterns, attachment files can be included or excluded; the definition of patterns can make use of regular expressions.
* Files to compress can be filtered via format criteria based on file extension: regarding a user-defined list of extensions, attachment files can be included or excluded.
* Compressed attachment files can be renamed using 3 different methods:
(a) no renaming (except for extension which becomes .zip);
(b) a name is asked for each compression using a dialog;
(c) name is built using a user-defined pattern.
Nb: This feature is smarter enough to avoid doublons.
* Renaming pattern for modes (b) and (c) can contain some meta-data like:
- source filename;
- source file extension;
- source file index (= index of file in archiving queue);
- source files archived count;
- current date (format is editable);
- current time (format is editable);
- message subject.
* Extension of compressed files can be user-defined (useful to fool antivirus softwares in a business environment). Beware: changing default extension requires messages recipients know which attachments are compressed and how to uncompress them!
Nb: Extension can also be changed promptly through renaming dialog mode.
* File compression can be enabled/disabled regarding email recipients through user-given white and black lists.
* The feature of character replacement allows non-ASCII characters from filenames to be replaced by ASCII characters.
* Composer window status bar is used to display information to user. Embedded progress bar is also used during files compression.
* The add-on provides a 'debug mode' which writes information into embedded error console (see Tools > Error Console).
* Error and warning messages are also written into error console (regardless debug mode is enabled or not).
If for any kind of reason the add-on seems not to work properly, open error console and look for messages regarding add-on which could give you information about the issue (all messages are prefixed by add-on name).
If the issue is reproducible and you think it's an add-on bug:
Enable debug mode, and proceed again, then contact us and report us relevant and maximum information regarding the issue (screen captures are recommended).
Use also the 'log debug messages to file' feature to send us a full text log of console messages.
This dialog offers also to keep current settings as default settings.
* Activation/desactivation of filters is now related to compression method, allowing to have complete independant values for filters of independant compression and filters of global compression.
* It's possible to define some default settings for interactive settings dialog, such as value of several checkboxes.
* Some localized strings have been changed to be more relevant.
* The addon allows now to filter files which have been backuped on a remote service such as cloud, preventing to compress attachments which have already been handled through TB feature called 'filelink'.
* The addon allows now to log debug information directly into a user-defined file.
* Design of interactive settings dialog has changed.
* When updating addon, changes and modifications of settings (if needed) are done right at TB start, and not anymore when opening compose dialog.
* When updating addon, if main icon has been previously removed from toolbar then its display is not forced anymore and it is left in the customization palette.
* bugfix: In certain circumstances, handling of parallel runs did not block automatic compressing through "auto-save-as-draft" whereas another compressing was already in progress.
* bugfix: When performing a global compression, simulation process crashed and files were compressed even if compression ratio did not comply the filter (bug introduced in v0.4.0).
* bugfix: When sending message, if compressing was cancelled through interactive settings dialog then TB acted awkwardly and may stay blocked and/or send the message twice.
* bugfix: In action modes 'send' or 'save', no additional compressing was possible if 2 compressings have been previously launched and the 2nd has been automatically skipped because of setting 'do not compress if at least 1 file has already been compressed'.
* bugfix: In case several files had been compressed and the last attachment was removed from message then undoing compression failed and addon crashed.
* bugfix: In interactive settings dialog, preview of renaming couldn't handle the '?s' tag (subject of message).
* bugfix: For TB >= v24.*, when clicking the 'reset to factory defaults' button, final warning message was not displayed.
* bugfix: If main icon has been removed from toolbar then addon crashed when loading while opening compose dialog, hence some initializations were not fully completed.
* Maximum compatibility setting has been enabled for Thunderbird v25.* to v32.0.