Why was Tab notifier created?
I've always told my friends that they don't need to frequently check their email or chat web sites because there are programs that do it for you, besides I'm sure that when they are at office they do it with a kind of guilty feeling. Unfortunately my average friend is too lazy to install and configure an email client or a chat client, or more than one, conceded that she knows how to do it. After I found myself in a similar problem because I didn't want to install tons of stuff on every computer I use, I found out that chrome introduced desktop notifications workable with gmail. Unfortunately I didn't use neither chrome nor gmail, but I decided to copy the idea. Thanks to the first users of the plugin I shortly found out that watching the title of the web pages is an universal solution, suitable even for web sites I hadn't thought about, like microblogging and social networking sites, and can relief you from install several extensions or desktop applications, when it's not the only solution, so I decided to tune it.
What's next for Tab notifier
- sound notifications configurable per domain
- expose desktop notifications API to web pages and other add-ons supporting simple notifications (update:done, please download ver.2)
- stack notifications like chrome does (update:done)
Other ideas I'm thinking about, I put them here to ask for feedback:
- full html desktop notifications support
- skinnable notifications (update:done)
- color of the notification configurable on a domain basis
- optionally use libnotify on linux
About the Developer
|User since||November 30, 2011|
|Number of add-ons developed||2 add-ons|
|Average rating of developer's add-ons||Rated 4 out of 5 stars|