Just a friend
|Name||Just a friend|
|User since||March 5, 2007|
|Number of add-ons developed||0 add-ons|
|Average rating of developer's add-ons||Not yet rated|
Simple, neat and fast Rated 4 out of 5 stars
Fast English definitions displayed in a pop-up without clutter. Unobtrusive, fast and without leaving current page. The most efficient way to look up a definition with minimal distraction.
Looks better than the Dictionary Tooltip add-on which has more dictionaries (since it does not belong to a dictionary website) but is no longer being developed and is not working smoothly anymore. Faster than using the search bar or other dictionary add-ons activated using the context menu.
1. Does not work in text fields. For instance, if you are writing a review or email and want to look up the definition of a word you intend to use.
2. It only activates by double-clicking single words. For instance, you would not be able to look up the definition of "free rider" or "total recall" (both available on their website).
1. Selecting text should activate a translucent icon before displaying definition. Clicking on the icon would then display the definition pop-up. This would provide more control and remain out of the way when copying text.
2. Fix limitations above.
Bottom line: It is a great dictionary tool despite its limitations. Very productive tool.
Quick Translation - for fast translations in pop-ups between multiple languages
Dictionary Lookup Extension - to lookup definitions of words in text fields and definitions of multiple words
Note: Dictionary Pop-up is incompatible with the Menu Editor add-on (Dictionary Pop-up will not work). However, it is compatible with Menu Editor 2 which has the same functionality.
Love it Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Very useful. Impressively lightning fast. Improves productivity Good to look up definitions on the fly, amongst other things.
1) Ability to organize search engines including adding folders (as in Organize Search Engines)
2) Ability to select search engines from a drop down list (not just using keywords)
3) Incorporate the search engine drop down list into the url bar (as in Foobar)
4) Option to open in a new tab when clicking on the instant view (As of now, the instant view shows in the current tab and a new tab is opened only when pressing enter [optionally]. If you accidentally click on the instant view search results it will replace the current webpage. This can be annoying and unproductive in some instances if you just intend a quick glance at a search result (e.g., looking up synonyms). I rather have it open in a new tab when clicking on the instant view page.)
Imperfect substitutes for recommendations (1)-(3) is to use OSE and Foobar together with Instantfox. However, they will not sync with one another when adding/deleting/organizing search engines.
One nice feature is that after entering the search engine keyword and search term, then pressing CTRL+SPACE highlights the search engine keyword such that you can change the instant view search result on the fly.
I foresee using this extension very frequently. Thanx Instantfox. Well deserved 5-stars.
Nice Surprise Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I found this baby searching for an add-on that could switch the tabbar from horizontal to vertical on the fly. I prefer browsing with a horizontal tabbar but figured that a vertical tabbar would be more practical for when I have an overflow of tabs which I have with certain frequency. The available addons for vertical tabbars were not doing the trick for me but this one provides that function I was looking for. Although it does not have the functionalities of a tabbar (since it is not, and it does not seem to be meant for this anyway) it seems it can solve my tab overflow problem so I will be giving it a shot. Who knows, maybe I will even start using tab groups which I have not found yet to improve my browsing experience. With the sidebar layout I might find it useful now.
Neater UI Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I am glad to have discover this extension. It gives a much neater UI. Thanks Ajit.
One problem: not switching engines when Organize Search Engines is installed.
One request: please make the drop down engine list open on first left-click. Right now one has to left-click, aim on the OSE item and left click again to switch engines. (you could relocate the other items to the right click menu instead.)
Good job !!
(Update: I found Foobar which works just fine. I like the appearance of Omnibar better)
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Love the appearance. However does not seem to be compatible with Organize Search Engines which have priority for me because I have way to many search engines.
(Just read Hero's review after writing mine.)
Very good, but..... Rated 4 out of 5 stars
Retaining the browsing history in new tabs opened from links is a must for me and should be a default option in FF. I do experience a conflict which I think its with Tab Mix Plus (although it might be a combination with another ext, I have a 100+). When I restart FF, some tabs reload to the previous url in the history, thereby loosing the current url for good with no way of recovering it back. I consider this a serious problem but admittedly a conflict and not a flaw from History Redux per se. So please consider this for the next version.
Also, I would like to request an option to disable the history retention in tabs opened from bookmarks and history items.
Bottom line...give it a try!
Excellent!!! - Superior to Hide GUI Rated 5 out of 5 stars
This is an excellent addon for those who appreciate browsing real estate but find full screen mode to be to much. The addon allows hiding selected toolbars with a shortcut key. The toolbars to be toggled are selected by the user. Unlike the "Hide GUI bars" extension, Minimode allows hiding toolbars added by other extensions.
(1) Option to change keyboard shortcut
(2) Option to open the location bar with shortcut (ctrl+L) instead of opening the dialog box as it currently does. The dialog box recognizes keywords for searches but not tab opening settings (it will always open in current tab)
(3) Option to show hidden toolbars on mouseover (like a customizable full screen mode.) FF's full screem mode automatically show/hides all toolbars including the tabbar (which I always want visible) and it also over lays the FF window over the Windows' Taskbar (which I also want accessible always). This is why I came to like Minimode so much.
Bjørn: Thanks for Minimode. It is a great addon. It really enhances my browsing experience. I wonder why it is still experimental?
PS: Could someone post a script to toggle Minimode using Firegestures . This will rock!
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
WOW!!! Thanks perisphetic! Just now I was going to post the need for a shortcut key on the reviews and there you are with a solution. Its incredible how such a simple extension can be so useful. I really use it a lot since it is easier on my eyes but some websites do not display well with dark background. Thanks again a million times.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (1.8).
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
As far as I can tell it seems to be working now w/ FF 3.0.8. Needed a print preview button. Dont't like the icon though.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (0.7.1.4).
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Great extension!!! One request: I would just like to be able to use the user scripts with the rocker gesture.
Keep the good work...
default text size Rated 5 out of 5 stars
This is a great extension. Faster than MouseZoom and without the conflicts with other extensions.
One request: to return back to a user specified text size when right clicking on the zoom icons.
On the meanwhile, check out the No Squint extension which perfectly complements QuickZoom.
Again, great job!!!
A message for the developer Rated 5 out of 5 stars
This is an indispensable add-on. It can't get any easier than this. I don't understand why it is not built in FF.
To the developer: You know what would make this extension twice as good...to be prompted for a keyword for the search engine just like the SearchWords extension does. Just to have it in a single extension.