|User since||December 28, 2011|
|Number of add-ons developed||1 add-on|
|Average rating of developer's add-ons||Rated 4 out of 5 stars|
Add-ons I've created
Endorsing yet another suggestion Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I was reading the reviews that other people have writtenfor Selected Search and I found this one to be good - "One suggestion: add a "copy" icon, so when selecting text you're not intending to search, the pop-up doesn't become useless."
If you can give us the Option to set one of the buttons on the grid as a "Copy" button, then we'd be able to copy text faster than we already can by selecting the text and then doing a Ctrl+C.
You could even think of adding the same functions as the "Addmoretexttoclipboard" addon and probably also the "Copy as plain text" addon . This will mean that you'd give us three optional buttons. One for Copy, Second for Copy as plain text, Third for Append to clipboard with newline.
I understand that your addon is a Search addon. But these functions can make yours the king of all addons(apart from Tab Mix plus that is!). Just Sayin!!
Thanks a lot + Reply to your message Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Thanks a lot for being so responsive. About suggestion 2 in my previous review.
I could not check how the middle click works because I use a laptop that has no middle click on it. I have checked extensively, there seems to be absolutely no way to middle click on this ASUS laptop. I imagine that this would be an issue that other people also face.
I'd have a couple of suggestions if you'd like to change this. Apart from the Left click and Middle click, you can probably
1. Also provide an option to configure the Right click.
2. OR Ctrl+Lclick on the grid keeps the grid shown so that you can make additional clicks on it
3. OR a keyboard hotkey to keep the grid shown till you dismiss it using the same hotkey
4. OR an option among the preferences to add a "Pin" or "Stay on top" button to the grid. Pressing this button keeps the grid shown till it is unpinned.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
A great addon. I am surprised why it is used by just 800 odd people and has been rated only 4 stars. I have added this addon to my collection of search related addons and have recommended it highly.
I have a few more suggestions to make this addon even better.
1. Tooltips to show the names of search engines. This would be extremely useful for me and many others who use multiple search engines from the same website, therefore which have the same logo. For example - I use Google News, Google Finance, Google Search for results within the last 24 hours and Google Blog search; All of these search engines have the same logo, so I am not able to differentiate between them. A tooltip would be most helpful.
A competing addon i.e Fastest Fox provides tooltips but lets you put only 7 search engines on the pop up grid, while I use 25. You should take a look at it. The extension also gives you a very small box in which you can enter your search engine shortcut to search with an engine which does not appear in the grid.
2. Hotkey to show the grid and freeze it. This way we can press multiple buttons one after the other to search with many search engines at once. This would have the potential to make your addon useful for simple as well as heavy duty searching and might make the "Search on engine change" redundant.
Keep up the great work.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for the great addon. I enjoy using it a lot and now I can watch a video using KM Player and use all the extensive settings that I have in KMP.
Just one question though and I'd be grateful if you'd respond. Does playing an flv video with a standalone video player(KM Player in my case) place LSO cookies on my computer? Does it slow down my computer, my browser or my internet by any amount?
Another question since I use a slow internet connection. If I use a standalone music player to play the flv or mp3 files, so that I can listen to music without the video from youtube - Then does the loading speed increase?
I also have a suggestion. Allow us to select videos to make a playlist from youtube and then let them play one by one in sequence without having to press the Flash Video Replacer placeholder everytime.
Great addon but few more features would be welcome Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for the great addon. It is much better than the other addons out there, all of which I have tested.
The few features that are essential to complete the addon are:
1. Pausing the feeds from scrolling
2. Showing an article only once and showing nothing when all articles have been shown once(or twice or five times or n times)
3. Scrolling articles using a hotkey, say F1. Pressing F1 shows the next feed(when scrolling is paused or disabled as suggested in point 1)
4. Manually update feeds instead of specifying a time interval to update feeds.
My favourite ticker is an offline software called Newzie. Most of the ideas I have suggested above come from Newzie's ticker mode. You could check it out.
I have used a lot of feed readers both addons and offline softwares. If you need any help with testing the addon, I'd be glad to help.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Need help. I am an old man not very good at computers and my internet connection is slow. Can your addon be used to play only the music from youtube without showing video. When video is played, I have to wait because my internet is a slow dial up connection. I'd appreciate if you'd reply.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (2.1.1-signed.1-signed).
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Need help. I am an old man not very good at computers and my internet connection is slow. Can your addon be used to play only the music from youtube without showing video. When video is played, I have to wait because my internet is a slow dial up connection. I'd appreciate if you'd reply.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (184.108.40.206).
Appreciation and Bug report Rated 4 out of 5 stars
Appreciation and Bug report
This addon worked perfectly for about 5 days even when I was using it along with other find bar related addons. But now the Find All window covers most of the webpage I am viewing(pic below). Worse, I am not able to resize the Find All window by dragging the separator bar either. This has made the addon useless for me. It was a wonderful addon when it did work which is why I give it 4 stars. I have also tried to disable other find bar related addons, but that seems to be having no positive effect on Find All.
See an example here: http://www.limepic.com/?v=vwyhL.gif
You can see that even when there are only 4-5 find results to highlight, the addon window has covered most of the screen space.
I'd be glad if the developer replies to my review.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Thanks Wladimir. Can you add google image to this addon? That would be extremely helpful.
Or you could consider creating a separate addon for google image search. In the preferences you could give us the option to either go straight to the page that contains the image OR open the full sized image.
I have searched a lot to find such an addon for google image search. The best I could find was a few addons to redirect you based on URL patterns. That is hardly useful for a layperson like me. If you build such an addon as I have suggested , it will be immensely helpful.
Rated 3 out of 5 stars
I have two suggestions which will make this addon much more usable and even indispensable:
1. Show a sign infront of the name of the addon that tells us whether it is a restartless addon or not.
2. Provide an option to enable/disable all Restartless addons. This will make using Restartless addons much easier.
3. Option to create addon groups like PDF addons, Download addons, RSS feed addons, Maintainence addons, Web development addons, and so on
Clarifying Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I am sorry I wasn't clear enough earlier. I had already added mobile wikipedia to Context peek before I wrote the previous review.
What I intended to say was that if you add either mobile wikipedia or a text only preview of wikipedia alongwith ctrl+Rclick hotkey, yours will be the fastest yet the most unobtrusive preview addon available.
I use Interclue too which is fast,but I have to put up with a hovering icon everywhere. Similiar problems exist with Cool previews. Your addon could be the best of them all if you incorporate the features I have suggested while keeping the context menu entry you already have. The context menu will also be useful if one wants to add more than 3 search engines(assuming you enable 3 hotkeys for Ctrl/Alt/Shift+Rclick).
Your addon is the least obtrusive of them all, but the context menu is not my preferred way to launch a preview pane.It just takes longer than gesture or hotkey based launch methods. Also, it clutters our already cluttered context menu.
You really seem to know how to build a good addon, that is why I wrote to you. Your addon has potential - Go for it!
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for the great addon:
There are a few features which will make it a complete addon.
1. This is what the WikiLook addon does: On Ctrl+RClick on a word, it opens a wikipedia preview pane. On Alt+RClick on a word, it opens a dictionary preview pane. On Shift+RClick on a word, it opens a google preview pane.
2. To speed up the addon, you can give us the option of enabling Text only preview panes.
3. For the wikipedia preview, it will be better if instead of Wikipedia.org, you use the address m.wikipedia.org, which is the mobile version of wikipedia. Being lesser in size, it will open much quicker.
If you incorporate the above features, which I think should be fairly easy), your addon, will get miles ahead of the competition (WikiLook, Cool preview, Wiktionary and Google search, Interclue).
If you need any help testing the addon, let me know.
Bug report reversed Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I had earlier reported that the image save isn't working. I take that back, it is working perfectly. The problem is that the folder I was trying to save images in was a password protected one. My mistake, I am sorry.
Regarding the other bug(not being able to disable smart search), Thanks for rolling out the next next version to fix that so soon. I have now set the Hide Smart Searchbox after _ seconds" to 0. That has disabled the smart search. But it would be great if I could disable it altogether to not show the pop up even when I press the shift key. I use other addons which do stuff with the shift key and I would appreciate it if the smart search box would not keep popping up everytime I press shift.
Thanks for the quick reply Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for addressing all the issues I had raised Mingyi. I am satisfied with your explanation about:
- Not adding more search engines to Fastest search
- Not allowing a search engine keyword of more than 3 characters
I am happy that in future versions you have agreed to see whether the limitation of numerals in the search engine shortcuts can be removed. Also, it is great that you are going to remove the bug that causes smart search to not be disallowed easily.
w.r.t. your explanation about the settings interface, I myself am not bothered by it much, but I think that the average user does not take time to stop, read all your instructions in the ? buttons, and then configure the addon. I think it would be better if you make the process of adjusting settings a bit easier. You should probably consider allowing people to choose between 1.All settings enabled 2.All settings disabled 3. Medium settings 4.Most important features enabled and so on, in one separate window. Probably in this new window you could have check boxes to allow people to quickly enable or disable features more quickly. For example, it could contain a checkbox to enable/disable Instant suggestions, Smart search, Image save, Preview, Autocopy, Text search, Preview
and so on all in one window. If one wants to fine tune the settings for each of them separately, then he has the choice of going to the specific window of that feature and adjust them in more detail.
I love your addon, and I would have awarded you 4.5 stars if Mozilla would allow me to. I have corrected the 4 stars and awarded you 5 stars now, But please
- Allow us to disable the smart search easily(as you said you would do it in a future version)
- Allow us to add more than 7 search engines to smart search
Your addon would deserve 6 stars if you did both of them together.
A few suggestions and a bug Rated 4 out of 5 stars
First of all, let me congratulate you for creating such a wonderful addon. It has the potential to become to Firefox Search what the Tab Mix Plus is to Tabs.
Here are a few suggestions:
1. Take a look at an addon called 'Selected Search' (you can't reach the page by searching for it on Mozilla, use the link I have provided below)
It works like your smart search feature but is much better at it because
A) I can more easily have 16 search engines pop up rather than the 7 you provide us with
B) The interface is better and more customisable
C) I do not want a box to pop up for me to enter the keyword of search engine among the smart engines. I instead would like to have all my 16 search engines pop up with their own icon. If I ever want to use another search engine apart from the 16, I type fast enough to go to the address bar or the search bar rather than enter things into the little box you provide us with. So please give us a way to disable this.
2. Add more search engines to the list of search engines you provide us with. Here are a few I'd suggest - Google searches for the last 24hours, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months and 1 year; Google image search without filtering adult content, Google image search for large images; Google search for similiar sites; Urban dictionary; Pirate bay, Drugs.com. All of these search engines are available from the Mycroft project website.
3. Improve the interface of your addon's settings pop up. I think you probably underestimate how unwieldy it is.
4. Your addon does not allow us to use search engine shortcuts more than 3 letters long or shortcuts that contain numerals. I understand that you really might need to keep the 3 letter limit to work with your smart search, but please remove the limitation on using numerals in the shortcuts. I use the Google search for the last 1 day, 1 week, 1month and 1 year a lot, and I had named my shortcuts as g1d, g1w, g1m and g1y respectively, so I couldn't easily import those search engines into your addon. I also use some longer shortcuts like drug for drugs.com, which again I could not import into your addon because of the 3 letter limit, so consider removing this limit too.
1. Image save does not work. I have about 70 addons installed, but none of them should affect any drag and drop functionality except yours. Image save still doesn't work.
2. Can't disable the smart search by leaving the field for search engines empty. The addon keeps showing me an error asking me to either leave the field empty or enter *, when I press save even after emptying the field. (I don't use your smart search, I use selected search instead). I had to go to an older version because of this problem.
Your addon is great. Keep up the good work.
Great Addon, A few suggestions to make it even better! Rated 5 out of 5 stars
A great addon for me. Congrats on creating it buddy. Here are a few more suggestions to make it even better :
1.Enable a hotkey to show the grid
2.Enable putting bookmarks folders in the grid so that we can put a bookmark in a desired folder in 1 step. (No other addon lets you put a bookmark in its folder in less than 3 steps, your addon will become unique if you did this - I imagine that many people will use it solely to create bookmarks. So think of doing this)
3.Enable exporting preferences to a text file and importing them back from the same text file.