Rated 3 out of 5 stars
I like the user interface better than other similar add-ons. And I like how you can choose the number of characters to display at once instead of words. That way something like, "in a close" all appears at once instead of separately, but a word like "satellites" is on its own. This is a more intelligent approach because it adapts how many words it shows to the length of the words. Still, some people might prefer the word-by-word approach so maybe that should be an option? And when choosing the speed, it would be better to increment it by 10 instead of 1 because it gets tedious to hold down the up key, and no one is going to notice a difference of 1 wpm anyway. But the issue that makes this add-on currently unusable to me right now is that the option to change the interval type to constant isn't working. The display times are still variable, and it's too distracting for me. Fix this issue, and this won't be "yet another" RSVP reader, this will be "THE" RSVP reader.
Rated 4 out of 5 stars
Very nice plugin to easily speed read webpages. Some basic things can be tuned, like the colorscheme and speed.
- reread some last words with a keyboard shortcut, for example page-up
Almost Life Changing! Rated 4 out of 5 stars
This is a pretty much life changing program for me. I find it dramatically speeds up my ability to read a page of text. There are two negatives. The first is pretty big!! ...it doesn't work in this older version of Firefox I have to use on "work" PCs. Probably unfair to blame the authors for that? (its a managed system I can't upgrade myself). Secondly, there seem to be some types of webpage that can't support it (even on the other computers I use on which it works well). I'd give an extra (5th) star if it really worked on ALL text on the page!
I have no idea how someone can write such a harsh review, but for information to use it: You select text by dragging the mouse (left button depressed), then you right click and choose "Read selection with YARR". It brings up a window and you hit space to start and space to stop. For certain types of text it doesn't work and just gives a blank black screen (like the text in this review as I am writing it!). The instructions and options are found by going Tools... add ons... Yarr...
Good, but lacking Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I know it is hard to make software like this by yourself, but this extension still needs a few extra features before being really, really good. This software is extension is already good, but it could use some new features that would really spice it up and make it better.
1. A feature that allows you to change font would be awesome. Serif fonts are generally hard on the eyes because they have unnecessary details. A sans Serif font like Helvetica, Calibri, Ubuntu’s Font, etc would be better because it is easier for the eyes to follow.
2. A second feature you could add would be to give the user the ability to change the length of each pauses.
3. Add a focus point – a lot like Spritz. Choose a letter from each word and put it at as a focus point. That way, your eyes move around less and you’re able to focus on the words easier. A simple way to code for this would probably be:
//choses an inner left character
b = (int)currentWordStr.length/2-1;
b = 0;
But it could be harder than this since I don’t know the internal structure of your code and that I’m still a noob programmer.
These are my suggestions. Having said that, this is extension is great and it really does make your reading speed shoot up to 500wpm. It also makes you more eager to read things.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Awesomeness Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I absolutely love this add-on. I've tried many other RSVP readers in the past but this one is my favorite.
I love that it's simple and easy to use with a minimalistic style and serif type that makes reading very easy.
Three things that I think users will appreciate are:
1. A keyboard shortcut to launch YARR. (For those who use caret browsing).
2. A keyboard shortcut to re-read a passage.
3. An option to have black text on a white background.
Other than that, I think this is excellent! Thank you for making it a joy to read online.
* Quick tip for keyboard users trying to access the context menu.
Mac: Control + Space
PC: Shift + F10
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Great concept, very useful but would be awesome if the reading speed would go above 900 words per min.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars