Be careful with old versions!
These versions are displayed for reference and testing purposes. You should always use the latest version of an add-on.
It fixes the problem 4.9.24 had with downloading since Firefox 36, provide an entirely new user interface, many more video variants, ...
Enjoy your new Video DownloadHelper !
Fixed a number of issues with YouTube
After some changes in YouTube on August 6th, a number of users reported that all downloads were failing. This was caused by a a Youtube-generated cookie. The workaround consisting of clearing the cookies before downloading was not very convenient. This addon version takes care of that issue.
Earlier this year, some other changes at YouTube caused the FLV videos downloaded through the 'network' method to have a fixed 1.7MB size and being unplayable. This is now taken care of.
video conversion feature.
direct screen capture feature.
Fixed missing toolbar dropmarker arrow in some cases
Fixed broken SmartNaming definition
From version 4.9 to 4.9.1
Fixed bug #335: Toolbar icon does not activate.
Fixed bug #337: Wrong key mapping.
- Introduced new capture method as a beta feature: direct screen capture. This makes Video DownloadHelper compatible with any site displaying videos with a flash player. Check details here.
- Improved contribution of the add-on the browser startup time.
- Fixed bug #332: Cannot add IP addresses to the black list.
- Fixed bug #328: When renamed, downloaded file looses its file extension.
- Fixed bug #266: Conversion fails to launch in Firefox 4. The bug was reopened after a change in Firefox 4.0b12.
- Fixed bug #300: Cannot extract video formats from some YouTube pages.
- Fixed bug #293: Console error on social share feature usage.
- Fixed bug #286: Undesired gap at the right of the toolbar icon.
- Fixed bug #216: YouTube 4096p format renamed to 4K.
Fixed bug #187: Conversion does not support file with non-ascii characters in the path (fix only available on Firefox 4).
Fixed bug #290: Cannot download anything if the black list is empty.
Fixed bug #292: YouTube in-page widget does not display on Firefox 4.
Fixed bug #280: File name formatting error when numerical entity is encountered.
Fixed bug #278: Download helper doesn't keep download location in private mode.
Fixed bug #245: Quick download notification readability.
* On December 1st, changes on YouTube made the &fmt=18 trick obsolete for getting the standard MP4 version. As a consequence, we removed the in-page YouTube format switcher widget. You can still access the MP4 variant from the download menu, with the entry prefixed by [Medium]. If you don't see this entry while in a YouTube page, open the DownloadHelper preferences, section Capture, tab YouTube, and enable this format.
* Added new default conversion configuration for Samsung Galaxy Tab
* Fixed bug #250: Icon layout Issue - bar deformation.
* Fixed bug #254: Better file name management when using with FlashGot.
* Fixed bug #247: Gallery capture: Files with spaces in the name get saved with %20 instead of a space.
* Fixed bug #258: On Linux, menu popups do not close when clicking the video entry.
* Added sv-SE (Swedish) locale.
* Removed minor errors appearing in the console.
* Minor layout fixes
Fixed bug #218: On some YouTube videos, available HQ formats were not detected.
Fixed bug #246: Toolbar icon displayed incorrectly after removing it from the toolbar.
Fixed bug #245: More readable quick download notifications.
Fixed bug #234: Quick download key not working anymore.
Fixed bug #225: Lossless conversion support.
Fixed bug #227: Preserve CJK filenames not working.
On July 21st-22nd, some changes on YouTube servers broke the capability to download any specific quality variant of the video being watched.
We immediately worked at finding a solution and adapt to the new system. We are now happy to release this 4.8 version, but this implied changes in the way DownloadHelper works, that you must be aware of.
Format HQ18, corresponding to standard quality MP4 format, is no longer directly available. However, you can still download this format by reloading the entire YouTube page adding &fmt=18 to the page URL address. In order to make this operation simpler we now provide a new widget that appears within the YouTube page, next to the title.
Clicking on the MP4 button, the page will reload and you will see a new entry .mp4 in the download menu. This corresponds to the former HQ18 format.
To get this MP4 switcher widget to appear, you need to enable it from the add-on preferences, section Capture, tab YouTube.
We know those changes may make DownloadHelper less convenient for some operations, but we hope you will understand we had to deal with technical constraints.
* Fixed bug #196: Descriptive labels for YouTube HQ versions in download menu. You can define the prefix you want to be displayed in the addon preferences, section Capture, tab YouTube.
* Fixed bug #188: SmartNaming menu is now integrated into the DownloadHelper system menu, hence can be accessed from toolbar/statusbar icon right click and Tools menus. In the context menu, the SmartNaming option does not appear at the top level anymore, but under the DownloadHelper entry.
* Fixed bug #205: Video title and DownloadHelper icon mostly clipped in YouTube.
* Fixed bug #176: When setting the icon click action to Open download menu, the toolbar icon and its dropmarker (the little triangle) are now a single clickable widget.
* Fixed bug #177: If the icon click action is set to Open download menu and the download list is empty (gray icon), clicking on the icon does not open an empty menupopup anymore.
* Fixed bug #185: You now have the capability to perform a regular download (through the Save File dialog) when clicking on the icon.
* Fixed bug #182: DownloadHelper can now perform link (bulk) captures from YouTube subscription pages.
* Fixed bug #125: Fixed youtube HQ resolutions displayed in the preferences.
* Fixed bug #189: Smart naming option to use webpage title as default.
* Fixed bug #213: " shown on some videos.
* Fixed bug #211: Added support for new youtube hq38 (aka 4096p, aka 4k). Fixed hq34 and hq35 showing as mono instead of stereo.
* Fixed bug #210: Made compatible with Firefox 4.0b1.
* Defined better quality for default conversion format (WMV for Windows Media Player).
* Added Romanian locale.
* Updated other locales
* Fixed bug #148: Donwloads from YouTube sometimes generate empty files.
* Fixed bug #165: Can't watch video in history window in Firefox 3.6 and later.
* Fixed bug #160 (1): SmartName advanced section lacks a shortcut to specify the page title as file name.
* Fixed bug #160 (2): SmartName cuts off begining (instead of end) of long file names.
* Implemented feature request #35: Clicking on the toolbar icon should open the menu. For this feature to be enabled, the preference parameter Upon clicking on the icon in section General, tab Behavior must be set to Open menu. The feature is only available on Firefox 3.0 and later.
* Fixed bug #169: Cannot download videos when on Firefox 1.5.